Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jap554

Decorating around red sofa in modern apartment.

jap554
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I have this red sofa I had custom made at Mitchell Gold last year. It was really expensive, so I'd really like to find a way to love it. However, I've been having regrets since the day it arrived. I am especially having trouble working with it in my new apartment, which is very modern. I used to have a black and white theme with the red sofa, but I have sold my old furniture and rug, as per advice from my mom and brother. I am unsure whether to go for black and white again with the red sofa, move in a different direction with the red sofa, or start over with a new sofa. The red sofa was my first big furniture purchase, and I feel like I messed it up, so I just do not trust myself at all when it comes to decorating. I would really appreciate any color scheme advice from someone more experienced. I would also appreciate suggestions regarding how to arrange things in my apartment. Thanks!

Here is my red sofa. It is a Mitchell Gold Keaton 94" sofa. I've already put it on Ebay and Chairish if anyone wants it, by the way.

Here are pictures of my old furniture
in my new apartment. I've already sold the rug, coffee table, and end table though.
Opinions on chandelier? I think I need a new one.

I have concrete ceilings, light grey
walls, and dark wood floors.

Here is a photo of my floor plan. The
19'8" is the distance between the window and the kitchen wall beside the
fridge.

I have this 28" x 48"
counter height table in the kitchen. Are the stools too high? I'm getting rid
of black chairs and table.

If I get a new sofa, I may get this
one below (Hunter in Nuance Dove).

I'm tempted to just buy this whole
coffee table/rug/sofa combination. Would it look right in my apartment?

Here are photos of rug swatches (all
on sample sale!) with that grey fabric. Would any look good with red?

I have my office space by the window. It takes up about 8'.

Comments (154)

• jap554
    Original Author
    8 years ago

leelee, where is that light from?

Also, I am happy with my desk and shelves. I need shelves, and I have to have my desk in front of my window. Having a nice workspace is my priority.

• jap554
    Original Author
    8 years ago

ekinteriors, I don't like clutter.

• jap554
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Tracey P, I really like your ideas. I would like that in another person's apartment but would be overwhelmed in my own. I don't think that's my style. Neither is the red sofa. :(

I think a big issue is how much color I have coming in from the windows. Everyone keeps objecting to my desk. If you want to tell me what inexpensive desk, file cabinets, and shelves to replace everything with, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I'm really just fine with it the way it is. I like my view.

I'm starting over. Either recovering or getting new.

• jap554
    Original Author
    8 years ago

On a lighter note, I'm getting these Ligne Roset stools in white. :D

found them for a deal. that's about the only thing I feel confident about.

• jap554
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm also thinking about getting a knockoff Saarinen table.

http://stores.advancedinteriordesigns.com/saarinen-tulip-side-table/

• User
    8 years ago

Hi Jap, the rug I posted was a Watercolor Solid Rug in platinum Here is the link

http://www.westelm.com/products/watercolor-rug-t1141/?pkey=crugs-flooring%7C%7C4294963735&group=1&sku=3815933&cm_src=rugs-flooring||FN-Color--FN-Gray---_-

your white Ligne Roset stools will look great :)

Contemporary Kitchen · More Info

Are you looking for a monochromatic look with your apartment?

The inspiration pic you posted earlier in the thread is stunning

But I do notice the wall colour helps the grey sofa stand out- are you planning on painting your walls?

• Darzy
    8 years ago

Okay...you decided to get a new sofa or recover the red one? I'm a little sad that a tiny bit of personality is fading. BUT, monochromatic can be beautiful. I vote selling the red (rather than recover) so you can get a sleeker arms and more visible sofa legs (like your inspiration photo sofa).

• Darzy
    8 years ago

PS I don't mind your desk there. But, I would find hidden storage (instead of open bookcase) for your desk area.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    8 years ago

Good choice on the kitchen chairs!

Not your style.....just showing you the idea. How about a sectional with the shorter end facing the window, longer end facing tv, as in this photo. Desk behind it where they show dining room table in the room plan. This way, you still face the view, sofa faces tv and window is clear.

Heather Hilliard Design, Chateau Drive · More Info

• User
    8 years ago

Jap, if you haven't already sold your red sofa how about covering it temporarily with a grey throw so you can get the feel of it in another colour, maybe even post us a pic of it covered- sometimes a change of colour makes all the difference :)

• jap554
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Update everyone: I bought the Ligne Roset Pam Stools on Consignment! They are so pretty. That's the only thing I've bought so far.

• jap554
    Original Author
    8 years ago

CDR. I have a designer coming by today. I will ask him about that. Could I do that with a deeper desk?

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    8 years ago

Yes, you certainly can.

You have 19'8" from the balcony to the frig. That is a ton a space! Let's say the leg of the sectional facing the tv is 10 feet, you add an end table on the balcony side at 2 feet, the desk table is 3 feet deep (I'll bet yours is more like 30"), that totals 15 feet. You still have a full 5 feet to pull out your chair.

If you do buy a sectional, I recommend a modular sectional which comes apart and reassembles like legos. It can be reconfigured when you move and you inevitably need a different arrangement.

jap554 thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • jap554
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I don't know where to get a modular sectional I like. My brother has one by Living Divani that I love, but that's way out of my price range.

• jap554
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This mess is embarrassing so I'll take another pic tomorrow (I took this one to show my my brother), but these are my new Ligne Roset stools! They look brand new. I got all 4 for $1300!

• User
    8 years ago

Well done on your super purchase the stools look great :)

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    8 years ago

Allmodern.com has a variety of reversible and modular sectionals more reasonably priced. I would recommend you try your table in the location I suggested. Leave space for the added arm of the new sectional or place your Ligne Roset stools there as a mockup for the new sectional arm. See how you like the feel.

• jap554
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm getting the grey couch today. However, I'm still unsure about the coffee table. The chrome and glass coffee table from MG is 58" long, which I think is too long and could be limiting in a smaller space someday. Instead I'm thinking of getting one of the following:

1. Portica table from Room and Board in marbled quartz or glass.

2. Rectangular Rubik table from DWR in marble (so table in second picture with top shown on round table):

3. Knoll table This table is only about 45" by 22.5". Too small for 90" sofa?

4. Crate and Barrel Era coffee table:

The designer from Mitchell Gold recommended glass over marble to keep an open feel. But marble could be cool, so I'm not sure.

Still have not decided on a rug. I missed the MG sample sale prices, and today is the last day their new rugs will be 20% off. Not sure if a light grey or white/beige rug would be best. Or some other color?

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    8 years ago

Hi. You are making some major purchases without a plan. This is a common mistake. A good design involves making an overall plan prior to any purchases. We would need to see photos of the other side (tv side of the room) Perhaps your desk could be put there. What is the size of the sofa?

• jap554
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm not moving my desk.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    8 years ago

Thanks for letting us know. I know you like the view when you are sitting at the desk.

• lolokz
    8 years ago

Where is the entrance to your bedroom? Is it at the same place as shown on the floor plan that you posted (near the window)? If not, perhaps you would consider moving your desk so that it is perpendicular to that window: your chair would be behind the desk and the window would be on your left. You would still have a view out the sliding windows when you looked up. If the entrance to your bedroom is on either side of the tv, you could put a tall open shelving/display unit in the opening near the window and use the lower shelves for your files, leaving the upper shelves open or with a few objects so you don't obstruct the view from your bed and your bedroom doesn't feel closed in.

• jap554
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It's the same as in the floor plan. I ordered that light grey sofa but it's so light I'm panicking.

• jap554
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm so burned out.

• Geneviève
    8 years ago

modern art

Art Deco Miami Style · More Info

• User
    8 years ago

Jap, I've been watching in the wings. I can imagine you are quite burned out. You've really been struggling with your choices it seems. Give yourself a break. This is design, not infectious disease control. It won't kill you or anyone else if everything isn't completely perfect but the stress you're placing on yourself will make you miserable. Decorating your home, whether apartment or house, should be fun, invigorating, tiring but not exhaustive, and you should be happy about it when you've made a decision. Just breathe. Unfortunately, I've had to learn that lesson the hard way. Make it easier on yourself and back away for a bit.

• jap554
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This is jap's friend. whynottryit just gave the best advice in the world. Thanks so much!

• User
    8 years ago

You and jap are very welcome.

• Ann
    8 years ago

I actually think it's OK to stress (for a temporary length of time) about these decisions. I think they're important and if you really ponder these decisions carefully, sometimes the result is quite successful. Then, the decisions are over, the stress passes, and all that thought may pay off if you love the result for a good long time thereafter. It's no fun to stress like that but it's worse to spend a lot of money and regret the decision as soon as you realize the color or scale just looks weird. I'm tired of making quick or wrong choices and losing a bunch of money based on those mistakes. I use Houzz often to try to avoid those mistakes and wish I would have found Houzz long before I knew about it. I must say I don't always enjoy dilemmas (as they can be quite stressful), but I like that they force me to see things I would have overlooked on my own.

• User
    8 years ago

Ponder, yes. Consider, yes. Evaluate, yes. Stress, no, no, no. Stress is horrible for your mind and your body and hinders the ability to make good decisions. I'm sorry, Ann. I don't think we're using the same definition of the word.

• jhmarie
    8 years ago

Agree with whynottryit. Decorate for your own style - what gives you comfort and makes you smile, not what is trending, not to impress, not what family or others tell you - though advice is helpful, it is advice only. Step away for awhile. When you see a picture of a room you love ask yourself what you love about it. If the same color comes up, same style, etc, then you start getting a sense of what you want to come home to. Your decor should reflect you. Maybe you are calm, or sassy, or bold or quiet, like color, like neutrals, like sparkles, like no sparkles - the things that make you smile or not. If it starts to look like a magazine shoot - you're going the wrong direction because it might be pretty, but it might be soulless too.

• Ann
    8 years ago

Maybe just a different approach whynottryit:). I agree stress isn't healthy, but I'm guessing Jap spent a bunch of money on the red sofa and replacing it will be a big financial hit. Hopefully, the dilemma will help to avoid any future regrets. In fact, I think dilemma after dilemma on Houzz is because the poster bought something and thought "oops, now what do I do". Some of us (like me) have a hard time stopping stress from creeping in. That's wonderful for you if you're successful at that.

• User
    8 years ago

Ann, she has now replaced the red one and is already questionng that decision. She said she's burnt out. She needs to take a break. That is all I mean.

• User
    8 years ago

Jap please relax, this is meant to be a fun time for you with the intended result of finding the items you like and that will work for you.

I am not sure what stage you are with the grey sofa- if the order has been confirmed and there is no going back then everyone here will help you thru getting the nice bits around the sofa that will make you feel at home.

Don't doubt yourself this isn't a design exam and look how well you did with your recent stool purchase.

I hope this starts being fun again :)

• callque
    8 years ago
    Whenever I've forced myself to quickly make design decisions I have always regretted it. What usually happens is I feel the space doesn't have enough personality or I'll randomly come across something better and end up replacing it, thus wasting money. For me, decorating becomes stressful when I start putting a deadline on when it needs to be "done." That's why I want to ask you- why are you stressing yourself out for this? Do you think that buying all your furniture based on someone else's opinion will make you happy (seriously asking)? You didn't question if those stools were the right ones for your space because you already knew they were. IMO, that's how your space should evolve- coming across something that is no doubt 'you,' and furnishing your space step by step with those pieces. It'll take awhile, sure, but you'll love it so much afterward that it'll be worth it.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    8 years ago

Hi Japp. There are many design "personalities". By that, I don't mean your style: modern, traditional, etc. I mean how you go about it. I am seeing you want your room to look great, but it seems you don't want to spend a lot of time on it. It seems you love a great result, but not the process. Nothing wrong with that.

Some people love to garden. They love both the process and the result. Others love the result, but hate the process. Those people hire gardeners.

Here is what you said: "I would rather just copy a picture. I honestly don't want to spend a lot of time on this."

That is totally normal. Using this Houzz thread will take some time on your part. Actually, it will take more time than you probably would have spent on your own, because you will get a lot of conflicting advice and be asked a lot of questions. It can work if you are willing to stream through the advice and choose what you deem best.

My little advice:

-Have a vision. You have that. Great start!

-For future planning, stay neutral on the large, big-ticket items. You have that plan. Another good choice!

-Create a floor plan. You can create a 2-dimension floor plan on paper and/or use your existing floor plan as a mock-up. Be willing to try different configurations, even if it is out of your comfort zone. I don't see that you have done this and skipping this step can lead to mistakes.

--Put it all together. I know. The hard part.

-Last step: start making any needed purchases.

If you aren't interested in this process, or don't think you have the time or skill, you might consider hiring a designer who can help you.

• User
    8 years ago

Great advice, CDR. Coincidentally, before reading your comment, I had scrolled up to find the exact post because I remembered that as well. Houzz is not for the feint at heart. As you said, too many conflicting opinions.

Another possible problem here is, in my opinion, most people don't start thinking of design until they are in their 20s, thus, they haven't truly developed a clear sense of direction or understanding of the nuances of balance, texture, lighting, all the things that create that picture perfect result.

Houzz is a great resource but for the "freshmen of design", it can be horribly overwhelming with all the well-meant but differing ideas. I don't know if this is a term I've heard somewhere or my own but Houzz overload can be debilitating (in the design sense). Too many choices for the uninitiated.

Jap, CDR is right. Hire a real designer (not a Mitchell Gold salesman) to help you figure out what you want if you do have some kind of deadline and you don't want to take the time yourself. Find someone that can understand what you want and pull it together for you.

However, there is something therapeutic about giving yourself the time and luxury of learning what you like and expressing that in your home --whether apartment or house. I think I learned more about myself through decorating my apartment than any therapy session could have ever uncovered. The problem is that just like therapy, it takes time, effort, and a lot of soul-searching. But it should never, ever burn you out. When you start to feel that way, take a step back, take the pressure off to complete whatever you're doing, and breathe. Then one day, you'll walk down the street, flip through a magazine, see something on a website and suddenly, you'll realize that's what you had been looking for all along.

• User
    8 years ago
    Amen.
  • jap554
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well, my apartment has no furniture, and I'm probably moving out in February anyway. I'm also very one track minded, so I like to just get things done expediently. When I don't make decisions quickly, I lose a sense of what I want, and I feel bad about myself for being inefficient and indecisive.

• jap554
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I don't know how to hire a designer, my impression is they are very expensive, and I didn't want to spend more than about $7,000. I went through all of the designers in my area on Houzz. I only like one of them.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    8 years ago

Hi. Since you are moving out soon, I would set a goal for this apartment.

For example, if you still have your red sofa, keep it and make the best of it by buying a few pillows you like. In January, put it up for sale.

You love your desk where it is, so leave it and make the space look the best it can.

Enjoy.

• User
    8 years ago
    Not all designers advertise on Houzz!
    Call up your design center and ask for a reference.
    Don't give up.
    You will not waste any more money and get some good advice and guidance.
  • jap554
    Original Author
    8 years ago

But how would I find a designer with good taste?

• PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    8 years ago
    Look at portfolios...pictures of their work. Taste is individual. I don't care much for Mario Buatta (or Battali for that matter) but he was renowned as a genius interior designer. Find someone you can talk to and has work that speaks to you.
  • miacometlady
    8 years ago
    For someone overwhelmed I'd say go to ikea. Their furniture carries a continuity that will allow anyone to select what they need and be reasonably assured they will get a fun, funky, look that flows.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    8 years ago

Hi jap554. Some thoughts:

"I lose a sense of what I want": I think you have solved that by starting some idea books. Your idea books show a clear and consistent vision of what you want. Your style is modern with clean lines and neutral palette.

"I like to just get things done expediently": Well, you've already proved that isn't the best path when buying furniture. You already regret the red sofa. I am not sure what type of engineer you are, but what would you say to a client who asked you to quickly slap together a plan? You know the detail that goes into your work. Design is not much different. A lot of it is similar to what you do.....measuring, configuring, research, etc. Sound familiar?

On the other hand, you have a clear idea of what you want, through your idea books. You are smart in that you like quality, neutral pieces that will stand the test of time and different residences. So, you have a very good start. It shouldn't be that difficult to find the right furniture.

"I don't know how to hire a designer, my impression is they are very expensive, and I didn't want to spend more than about $7,000": Prices of designers vary greatly. The way they price also varies. Some are very reasonable. Many charge you a fee and, in addition, collect a commission from vendors for any purchases you make. Some charge a flat fee. Some hourly.

I think Ironwood Builders had great advice to look at portfolios as well someone you can talk to. How does the designer work? Collaboratively, listen to what YOU want, or tell you what you should want?

Some of us also do e-design. It can operate similar to local.

All of these are factors to consider.

You have great taste and, if you decide not to hire a designer. I think if you go with your ideabook photos.....most showing neutral, timeless sofas, I don't think you can go wrong.

• User
    8 years ago

Oooooh, I love your red sofa!

• TraceyE
    8 years ago

How are things progressing for you?

• Cee Dubbz
    8 years ago
    How is it going? I understand the stress in decorating especially when you want to get it right but don't want to make a mistake. I think the red couch is beautiful. But perhaps it never reflected your true style. For that reason I would think to sell and start over. Since you have a healthy budget of $7K, I think you can get your space done with e-design help. Check out a website called decorist. I read their blog and you can get an e-makeover for around $200 with a shopping list. If you opt to do it yourself, it can be done - but it will take TIME, patience and some mistakes. I decided to do my space on my own and consulted with a designer. I moved furniture around constantly, bought and exchanged rugs/pillows/lamps until i felt i got it right. I purposely shopped at stores that would give me that flexibility (think big box). I've learnt that design is an evolving process - a space is never truly done. But I enjoy it the process. It's become a hobby and creative outlet for me. Good luck on your design journey!
  • bcallaway901
    7 years ago

I love your red sofa. That was a good choice. Next look for a large picture with colors that you like including red. Use the colors in the picture as your color palette, like soft grayish taupe, ivory, silver, black, etc. Use neutral solid colors or a bold stripe piece with a combination of your neutral colors. Don't stop with your plan, go slowly and it will fall into place.