Software
Houzz Logo Print
marise_phillips

Kitchen backsplash design dilemma

11 years ago

I sketched out a kitchen backsplash design for our remodel project, using a triptych of three arts-and-crafts-inspired tiles I bought in from Motawi Tileworks in Ann Arbor, Michigan, along with some cut-out printer paper standing in for the 4x2 subway tile.

My big question now is whether the quartersawn oak frame I've envisioned around the triptych will be a bear to keep clean. What else could I use besides wood? The tiles need some kind of visual framing device around them. I don't like the way they look if they're directly embedded in the brick layout of the subway tile.

Would dark gray slate work as a "frame"? Color-wise, and simplicity-wise, I like the idea. But I'm wondering how thick the material will be in relation to the art tiles and subway tiles. The art tiles are very "proud" -- about 3/4" thick.

Other details: painted wood cabinets, stainless hood and range (no back panel), quartersawn oak floors, Caesarstone quartz countertops in "Piatra Gray".




Comments (13)

  • 11 years ago

    Wood won't be a bear to keep clean. A slight moist rag run thru it daily will prevent any grease accumulation. You'd have to do same to maintain tiles.


    as for diff between slate and glass thickness, a prof tiler will know to compensate by adjusting thinset thickness. I love both of your ideas.

    Marise Phillips thanked bossyvossy
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Very nice idea, thanks silken1. The interior designer I'm working with also thought of that. But now you've inspired me to sketch it out! :)

  • 11 years ago

    Great points, bossyvossy! Helps alleviate my concerns for sure.

  • 11 years ago

    I hope you'll post a photo of the finished project. I just love those tiles!!

    Marise Phillips thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    I have no advice, just wanted to say how much I love your ideas. I don't always like behind the range designs, but this is really beautiful.

    Marise Phillips thanked Patti
  • 11 years ago

    There are wood-look ceramic and porcelain tiles available, which would need to be cut to make a frame. Inexpensive floor tile (Sonoma Oak) at HD



    Wood look tile info

  • 11 years ago

    I think the wooden frame would be gorgeous and complement the tile best.

    Marise Phillips thanked my_four_sons
  • 11 years ago

    Thanks, mama goose! Very creative idea. Coincidentally, last time I was in a tile shop, I lingered by the wood tile displays, wishing I had a place for some. I love the texture and look of it!

  • 11 years ago

    Really love your tiles. I like the idea of the slate, but have you checked to see if the tile maker makes border tiles? What color are your cabinets going to be?

    Another thought, what kind of range is it? If it's gas, I would think that wood would be out because of the combustibility issue. I know it would not be to code here.

    Really want to see how this looks installed. Please post pictures when you get done.

    Marise Phillips thanked annac54
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Ooh, good thinking. Thanks, annac! I hadn't considered the heat/combustion issue with wood. The range is going to be gas. Cabinets will be painted off-white. Also, appreciate your suggestion about the tile company. I believe they do make plain tiles that go with the art tiles. And I cannot wait to post photos! I'd also be really happy with a %$&$^%#@ bid from the GC!

  • 11 years ago

    Marise - love your Motawi choice. I think you figured out the wood concern. I think framing with tiles would look great.

    The A2 art fair ended today so it is safe to venture into our area again!

  • 11 years ago

    The Motawi site does have long field tiles and also moldings like picture frames. Their glaze colors are very nice, so you should be able to find something you like.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!