Software
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_broman

Artwork on the wall?

11 years ago
Do I need artwork on the bare wall? I don't know if the chandelier is enough or I need something on the wall. It's weird because the builder didn't center the lightbox to the wall :( so the chandelier is a little of center from the side but not from the front lol

Comments (84)

  • 11 years ago
    @jch art - thanks! Great art - love them all!! What do you think about something with just like those in a pair? Thx for your input!!
  • 11 years ago
    @mark thanks! Love the chairs!!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    @bargainhunter: Vertical mirrors will emphasize a nice high ceiling, or help a low ceiling look higher. I don't recall ever hanging a mirror horizontally! To me they just look better vertically.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Michelle, I would encourage you to use a large, colorful piece or pieces of abstract art.
  • 11 years ago
    @carolyn okay thanks!!
  • 11 years ago
    @beverly and Carolyn or others would you have a tall vertical mirror over this sink and cover the lights (I have recessed lights in ceiling) or just keep smaller mirror and change light fixture? I have to paint the bathroom too.
  • 11 years ago
    @carolyn and Beverly or others lol In this powder bath would you hang a tall vertical mirror covering up the existing light fixture (I have recessed lighting in ceiling) or keep small mirror and change light fixture? I have to paint the bathroom too.
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    A tall slim framed mirror would look good. Where you have the candle sconce over the toilet you might use a beautiful electric sconce with 2 lights. Another possibility would be to have a sconce on both the left wall and the right wall. I can't tell from the photos if there is space to do this. I would remove the light fixture that is above the mirror since you say you have recessed lighting in the ceiling.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Here's a possible mirror. You'd need to add some drama to the room with wallpaper or paint so that the rest of the room lives up the the splendor of the mirror.

    Basilica Arched Mirror, Narrow · More Info

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Another possibility:


    Hovan Frameless Arched Mirror · More Info

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Here's a possibility for above the toilet.


    La Brea 2-Light Wall Sconces, French Iron · More Info

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Gray Sea Framed Print · More Info

    "Negatives" Abstract Pop Canvas Print by Maxwell Dickson, 16"x20" · More Info

    Abstract Seascape Original Painting Canvas Contemporary/Modern Painting -30x40 · More Info

    Breezes Original By Rex Maurice Oppenheimer · More Info

    Cochrane Print, Red · More Info

    I think your designer did you a disservice by having you place two large mirrors so close in proximity, such as in the living room & the dining room which adjoin each other. If keeping the mirror in the dining room I would place it vertically at the end of the table so half of the guests are not watching themselves eating.

    You do have a lovely dining area and the chandy is spectacular, however it must be centered both ways over the table, so I suggest adjusting the table as it is much easier to do. Please think about adding some large art on the longer wall.

    Only you can select your art. It needs to move you emotionally. It would be better if it had some color in it as well. Check Art.com or Great Big Canvas. they often have 40-50% off sales & at GBC you can select your preferred size. Check them out if only for inspiration. Go big & go color.

  • 11 years ago
    @carolyn thanks I am going to take your advise and move light (in sconce form) over toilet and go with tall vertical mirror :) at least I'll get this one right :)
  • 11 years ago

    I have seen a colorful large graphic print that is of a chandelier. I'm looking for it for you. It would be a conversation piece for sure.


  • 11 years ago
    @suzyq I love!!!! Thanks!
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks @sandradclark we don't use the table so at least no one sits there lol I am going to do the large art for sure! I am thinking of replacing the table with a smaller round table in the future - more of a conversation area with two side chairs similar to photo :)
  • 11 years ago

    This is House of Mirrors and Chandeliers. All beautiful, but you need some color so bad. RH is awesome but you have to add punch or you get sepia. Don't be afraid! Do you like red or coral or blue accents?

  • 11 years ago
    Yes vanguard and Suzyq I plan on using blue since we are in FL and on the water :)
  • 11 years ago
    I do have colorful framed photos throughout the house just not in the areas I've shown lol I am trying to finalize these areas ;)
  • 11 years ago


    Dining Room · More Info
    Couldn't resist showing you this room. There's even more in the other room.


    Dallas Rugs used in Decor · More Info
    You could do something like this.


    Elegant Lake Retreat · More Info
    Blue accents.


  • 11 years ago
    Thanks Suzyq - love love wow!
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    A good sized original painting would look great in this room - the space is ideal. Please visit my houzz page and web site: www.emiliadubicki.com to see some paintings that might work for you. thanks! -Emilia

    Sun House, 54"x 48" · More Info

    "Sweetest Decline" 66"x 54" · More Info

  • 11 years ago
    Like/dislike??
  • 11 years ago

    dislike, as it blends into your lovely chandelier. You refuse to try the mirror on that wall with large art on the mirror wall.

  • 11 years ago
    No Sandra I'm not refusing to move it lol I am exploring all options before making any final decisions
  • 11 years ago
    Also art on the opposite wall will blend or distract from the chandelier too lol
  • 11 years ago

    Not if it is bright bold colors or black & white.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    the light is not centered to the table

    the table is not centered to the all....

    fix these things first.

  • 11 years ago

    Michelle I like the art you posted. Nothing wrong with a monochromatic room. It's not an easy look to pull off but you have a great start and I get what you are trying to do. It will come together with all the right accessories, layering and textures etc.

  • 11 years ago
    @mark thanks so much for your kind remarks!! In glad you understand my taste lol I'm still going to use your lamp idea :)
  • 11 years ago
    @flairlighting the table is centered with the chandelier it's hard to see the in photo lol and it's centered to the wall if you are facing the mirror it's not centered to the sidewalk because then the chandelier would be right over the back chairs so one would hit their head when standing up :( that's why it's difficult to design around this weird situation :(
  • 11 years ago
    Not centered to sidewall lol auto spell correct is a pain hahaha
  • 11 years ago
    @flairlighting This shows how close it is to the back wall already :(
  • 11 years ago

    Michelle, I suppose I like statue better since it looks less like a chandlier, which the column does resemble/ in its design/details...

  • 11 years ago
    @everdebz thank you! I like the statue too :)
  • 11 years ago
    beautiful home
  • 11 years ago

    I just decided to gaze a second at your chandelier; I guess your look is so understated that you need to look at each piece; I saw the contrast of the darker chain etc... and it's not a look that jumps out at you. Probably feels enveloping while you yourself are there [instead of from photograph/computer].... I am glad you like it 'on its way'! :)

  • 11 years ago

    I like both prints Michelle and they would be clearly visible to anyone sitting at the table. I know you said no one sits there. You're like me I just admire the living room and dining room as I walk pass on the way to the great room. Oh and I pay to furnish and clean it too. Our new house doesn't have a formal living room or dining room; we remodeled it with informal only. Sick of 800 sq. ft. we never use. I've never sat down in current living room in 12 years.

  • 11 years ago
    Thanks @Judi and yes @everdebz it's hard to capture things in a photograph and it's definitely more stunning when the crystals shimmer on the wall - see below :) also we live in a house that's all glass with no window treatments (that close) surrounded by water so we get a lot of beauty and color from nature. I appreciate every person who took the time to give me suggestions - it's greatly appreciated! Sometimes it's just so hard to show what I see in a few photos lol @suzyq yes I agree I hate rooms for looks only! I won't have these types of rooms in my next house lol just a giant family room :)
  • 11 years ago

    Wow you took a nice photo! why we like light-catchers of all kinds!

  • 11 years ago

    Agree to VANGUARD development proposition

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Michelle, the art looks wonderful!

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Adding a hit of colour through abstract art would look amazing on that wall. Feel free to check out my site for ideas www.sarahphelps.ca


  • 11 years ago
    Thanks! Amazing art @Sarah! I love it but it's out of my budget :(
  • 11 years ago
    @carolyn do you think # 1 is a better choice than #2?
  • 11 years ago
    I LOVE Beverley's ideas. Def move the mirror to the other wall and get a few pictures
  • 11 years ago

    Your dining room has the potential to be elegant and dramatic. I haven't read the other comments but I would suggest re-orienting your table in the other direction and adding artwork to both walls.


  • 11 years ago

    Love love love the dining furnitures. The soft angel art that have been suggested would look great in this space. place table under candaliar.

  • 11 years ago


    Stairway to the Answer Glass Framed Art · More Info

    Ancient Architecture · More Info

    Gallery Relief No. 1, Large, Framed · More Info

    Bassett Mirror Company Palace Blueprint I · More Info

  • 11 years ago
    Thanks @Linda - beautiful!