Software
Houzz Logo Print
kldinsb95949

Need help with paint colors

13 years ago
Our living room has a knotty pine ceiling with painted beams. I just do not like the knotty pine and would like to paint it. We are painting the walls a sage green shade. Would really appreciate ideas. Thanks...

Comments (29)

  • 13 years ago
    White wash stain the knotty pine if you just want to minimize the knots. Paint white if you don't like the wood at all.

    I think a gray stain to give the pine a weathered look would look awesome.
  • 13 years ago
    Hi, I had something very similar in my den. I painted the walls a robin egg blue and the ceiling white. It made a big difference. If you don't like it them then paint it. It will completely change the look of the room.
  • 13 years ago
    Painting the walls sage will compliment your current blond wood ceiling. Check out all the blond wood and sage walled rooms on Houzz. You may end up loving your ceiling.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks everyone! I realize that many people find painting wood a sin. I've lived with it for three years to see if it would grow on me. Nope! As my Dad use to say, "That's why they make ice cream in lots of favors!"
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Unless you have a rustic home or unpainted wood trim below it knotty pine is not a great look- especially with painted beams. Paint it by all means. You will need to fill the knot holes and cracks and prime it before painting or it will just look painted wood. The seams will create a nice texture so make sure you paint the whole ceiling in a off white or light color. White-white is harsh and will just look hard up there. An off white will soften it and most importantly hold the shadows creating a nice visual between the solidity of the beams and the texture of the ceiling. It will also change with the light as well creating a lot more interest than the raw wood. Don't be cowed by other people's opinion. If you don't like it get rid of it. It will not upset the value of your house either.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks for your comment Color People. You are describing the look I want perfectly! The house is in the mountains but certainly not the least bit rustic. I'm thinking you are suggesting the beams and ceiling should be painted the same color??? :-)
  • 13 years ago
    I've been following this thread since we have a similar ceiling. We KNOW it will be painted - it's just one of those list items we haven't gotten to. Color People, thanks for the paint suggestions. On a ceiling of this type, do you think a flat or a semi-sheen works better?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Yes, Ceiling and beams the same color and most likely the room trim as well
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Chalk white ceilings will look good .
  • 13 years ago
    Get the paint on the walls and then see how you like the ceiling.
  • 13 years ago
    I would love to see them stained white. You still may not like them, as the wood will show through.....so paint them and the beams a semi-gloss white. When you have your paint mixed, ask what base color additives are in there and tint the ceiling color with them.
  • 13 years ago
    OK, thanks for all the input. Handy husband has the scaffolding and we are going for it!!!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    paint your ceilings is an off white, it will soften the room and give you a look you will like. If you want the beams to stand out paint them darker
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Looking forward to seeing the results!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    To cover popcorn ceilings we did a pine and beam treatment and painted it out............thought you might like to see what it would look like painted. I have to admit that I struggled with painting the wood too but what swayed me is the knowledge that in time the nice pine would turn orange. I do love how it turned out. See what ya think.............
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I came to suggest white as well. I still lets the wood be noticed but adds a touch of brightness to the home.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks for the pics peetsoo. Your ceilings look great. You are right about the color of the pine too. It's just too gold-yellow for me. We are going with a creamy white for both ceiling and beams. Will post pics when the project is complete. Probably going to take a few weeks :-)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    try Benjamin Moore CC50 - White Down
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    We are leaving our pine ceilings unpainted. I can however understand why you'd want to paint them. The pine has grown on me which is good because the peak is nearly 25 feet high.
  • 13 years ago
    Hope that you post some after pics....looking forward to seeing how everyithing turns out....:)
  • 13 years ago
    Yikes ekc3502! Ours are about 17 ft high. Glad husband isn't afraid of heights (like me). I'm sure he wishes the ceiling would have grown on me. I have seen them in other rooms that they look good.
  • 13 years ago
    Well, not ready to post a pic.....yet. Hubby just finished painting. It was a lot of work but I LOVE it! The ceiling just seems to go with the rest of the house now. Will post pics when the walls are done. Thanks again everyone!
  • 13 years ago
    Done and LOVE it! It was a lot of work for Hubby but he did an amazing job. Here are a few pics...
  • 13 years ago
    Looks great! Curious to know if your hubby also loves the results........
  • 13 years ago
    Yes Peetsoo, Hubby likes it very much. I'm sure he's glad it's done though...
  • 10 years ago

    I found this post - it's old but maybe I'd get some feedback.

    Can you tell me if you had to caulk the grooves? I have the same ceiling and I'm debating whether or not to do this. My ceiling has yellowed something awful. I've painted the walls four times - and it's a big room - trying to get the right color to match the ceiling. I"m stuck with green if I keep the ceiling as is and not paint it.

    Thanks!

  • 10 years ago
    Janette130, no we didn't have to caulk the grooves but... Every knot in in wood did have to be caulked. It was a lot of work but it has transformed the room. I am so happy we did it! Good luck!
  • 10 years ago

    Thank you so much! I think I'm going for it - scary!