Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emilyosborne

Experience with Namibia Quartzite

emilyosborne
8 years ago

I have been on the hunt, like many of us, for a marble alternative. Doing white cabinets with a navy blue island. Planning for white subway tile bs, so I wanted countertops that are whiter. I think I finally found something that I like - Namibia Quartzite. I have 3 slabs on hold and am going to see them again tomorrow. Anyone have experience with this stone. They are a leathered finish, but really look and feel more honed to me. I asked about etching and staining and I have been told that they do not. The rep, who works with my designer quite a bit, said the acid and hardness rating are both 5, so I should be good. I don't really know what that means. Does anyone? Thoughts and experience appreciated.

Comments (9)

• Debbi Branka
    8 years ago

I don't have an answer on your stone, but it's very beautiful and I love all the colors that you're holding up to go with it! I have white perimeter cabs, white backsplash, navy walls, navy island and white marble on my island. I love navy and white together! Can't wait to see what you do.

• Suzy
    8 years ago

Gorgeous

• karin_mt
    8 years ago

Red flags - there is no such thing as an acid rating of 5. Also, a hardness of 5 is unlikely. Marble is softer (3-4) and quartzite is much harder (7). Have a look through the rock thread and if you have more questions, post them either here or in the rock thread.

My quick advice is that this rock is one that definitely needs thorough testing before purchasing. It's right in that grey area where it looks like both marble and quartzite so the only way to tell is to test it.

emilyosborne thanked karin_mt
  • emilyosborne
    Original Author
    8 years ago

karin-mt, I am just reading through the rock thread now. There is a lot of information in there. Can I tell them I want to do the glass test or do I need to try to secretly do it? And, if it scratches, does that mean I can assume it is etch resistant too?

• karin_mt
    8 years ago

I would not attempt it in secret - just be up front that you need to check before buying. It should be somewhat normal for people to want to suss these things out.

On the slab in your pic, the upper left corner looks broken. Use a thick glass bottle to try the scratch test there. I say thick because I don't want the glass to break in your hand. Normally you put the glass down on a table and scratch it with the rock, but that method doesn't work with a whole slab.

If the rock really scratches glass definitively, then you are most likely safe from etching. In some cases where two types of rocks are layered together (Fantasy Brown) then this rule fails. If in doubt, check in a few places on the rock, particularly where the color or texture looks different.

emilyosborne thanked karin_mt
  • kaysco12
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Would love to get an update on this - how have your Namibian Montblac counter tops held up?

• Siv Bennett
    4 years ago

This is a marble !!! not a quartzite !!! I have it and it etches big time also can stain, it is a soft marble just like Calcutta, Carrera It is a beautiful Marble !

• Krist R
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

It's probably a dolomite. Harder than a marble but softer than granite or quartzite. Less porous than marble but more porous than granite or quartzite. Some places will try to sell dolomite as quartzite. Check videos of muriatic acid test on different counter surfaces. Acid on granite or quartzite won't "fizz" but it will "fizz' on dolomite and marble because of the calcite levels. Muriatic acid will fizz more on limestone or marble than it will on dolomite but dolomite will still fizz where granite/quartzite will not.