Software
Houzz Logo Print
gmoss01

What lighting / bulbs do you use for a room with a grey/taupe colour?

11 years ago

Yourr Conneticut home is gorgeous and wondered what kind of lighting you use that will not distort the wall colour? I have halogen lights and they throw a yelliow colour onto the wall that distorts the colour. On the other hand, putting in LED 'natural' or cool light can look too white. Wondered what you recommend?


Your design is the best I've seen - just perfect and shame that I am in the UK and you in the US!

Best wishes,


Gloria (Moss)

Comments (5)

  • 11 years ago

    I find that 3000k bulbs are not yellow, but are not blinding white either. I think colors are beautiful and clean looking. With 2800k things start looking yellow to my eyes. What I'm referring to is the color temperature which is measured in Kelvins. I think color temperature is measured the same everywhere. I hope this is some help to you.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Thank you very much for these comments. People here in the UK where I am based do not seem to have thought of these issues at all whereas American design seems to be a lot more subtle (your design is out of this world if you don't mind my saying so and wish I was in the States to be able to have your help). Can I ask you which bulbs you use (LEDs? Make?) and what type of lighting you use - uplighters, ceiling lights or lamps? If lamps, must be difficult to get the 3000k bulbs that you mention?

    Do let me know if you want to charge me for your time in answering these questions since don't like to take advantage but am thinking of painting all the walls in a colour similar to the one you seem to have in the Conneticut property and would look pretty awful with yellow halogen lights shining on them.

    Thank you again,

    Best wishes,

    Gloria

    I can always go down the road of writing about you and your design if that appealed (am a University Professor and write a lot for the press about design issues and so could sneak something in in a piece) so if you had anything about yourself and background that you could send to me (gloria-moss@hotmail.co.uk) that would be great! Your focus on detail is what is so exciting and it seems crazy to me that with the fashion being so focused on grey, they people here in the UK have not considered the implications for lighting!

  • 11 years ago

    Just wanted to double check that the really helpful response re 3000k lighting came from Lauren Muse. Was not clear from the text unfortunately!

  • 11 years ago

    I wrote about the 3000k lighting, I'm not Lauren. ;) You can look at photos of my apartment in my idea book by clicking on my name and looking in My Apartment. I have used the 3000k bulbs exclusively in my apartment.

  • 11 years ago
    Just chiming in because I have been wondering the same thing. When working with grays, lighting is almost as important as the the color itself. Led and fluorescents usually throw off a cool white (which makes the walls look blue/lavender)
    However, halogen and most other bulbs seem to throw off orange/yellow tints.
    So, I'm in the same boat with the original poster and would love to know more about light bulbs and their effect on colors!

    :)
Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH