Software
Houzz Logo Print
moxiemom

Oops on curtains!

11 years ago
This is an itty bitty seldom used guest room. No one ever stays here since we have the daughters all grown up and moved out and we have their rooms to use. In an attempt to hang the curtains more dramatically, we raised the rod to this height, as I've seen in diagrams. Maybe since we have 9 foot ceilings they look too high to me. ( I know they're too long, I will hem them. Got a super deal on Croscill block out panels, but they only had 108")

What do you think? Too high or I'm just not used to them yet?

Comments (17)

  • 11 years ago

    They look great to me. You're just not used to the new look.

  • 11 years ago

    I like them hung high like that;)

  • 11 years ago

    i don't like them this high, although i completely agree they are in style. i prefer them about half this difference between casing and height. the problem can be "solved" by a faux roman shade filling the space between rod and bottom of casing which will better give the impression that your window is really that tall.

    but that's neither here nor there, if you like them this height thats all that matters.

  • 11 years ago
    I vote for keeping them high. In fact, IMO, you should go for a beefier curtain rod and place it directly under crown moulding. You probably won't have to hem panels then. If you don't like the space between rod and window frame, go with the roman blind idea under the panels. If you don't need the privacy, it can be one that doesn't work.
  • 11 years ago
    I think they look fine.
  • 11 years ago

    I agree with nnigrt. They should be hung about half way between ceiling and window top. A thicker rod would look better also but as you never use the room that rod is fine

  • 11 years ago

    Halfway between crown and window trim, and no more wall space at the top than there is underneath the window, if that makes sense.

  • 11 years ago
    I think I'm leaning toward lowering them just a little.
    I also knew I needed a thicker rod and hearing it has helped. Thanks all. The grandkids sleep here when they return on holidays hence the blackout curtains. I was afraid everyone was going to hate the color of the curtains, but I'm glad I didn't hear that. Xoxo!!
  • 11 years ago

    Now moxiemom, we would never veer off the poster's question')

  • 11 years ago

    I would have gone an inch higher.

  • 11 years ago
    One more try at convincing. Moxiemom, you must always do what you like the best so take this for what it's worth. You have beautiful extra high ceilings and they need to be respected. If you lower rod you diminish the view of glorious height. If not totally convinced, leave as is and wait. In few weeks if you still don't like height you can lower them. But I still would love to see that thicker rod hung under crown. That being said, you have a lovely room and ain't different opinions fun?
  • 11 years ago
    Oh yes opinions are what this site is all about! I'm usually out in left field about what others see as current, and selling a house is all about appealing to the seller!!
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Height is fine. I do like the ideas of a thicker rod, and faux Roman blind. Great advice.

    Moxiemom thanked TheFurnitureCollection
  • 11 years ago
    Moxiemom, didn't realize you were staging to sell. Just read some of your other posts. In that respect, don't change a thing. Previous post is right, no one would NOT buy house because curtain rod is too skinny or not high enough. Good luck with sale.
    Moxiemom thanked catsw
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks everyone! I decided to keep them high. They are ironed and hemmed, a little too long but that's ok. Also to add to staging hints, I changed lightbulbs and washed the cover on the ceiling fixture. A very good hint and one I thought I'd pass on. Again, thanks.
  • 11 years ago

    And clean windows!! to help with the sale of a home.