Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lily_akopyan

Help: Living room

Lily Akopyan
8 years ago

I have a beautiful space for a living room. I'm not sure if what I did really works. I know I am missing things to get it together. I don't even know if where my sofa is works.

Is that a good place for it? Should I move it where the dining table is?? The hutch is a keeper?? What to add/remove.... please help.

Thanks.

Comments (23)

• Trine Vig
    8 years ago

A warmer beige color for the wall, maybe with a trim would also make it look more in place.

Bring in some more furniture,*rugs, ottomans and remember lighting is essentiel.

I think the lower celing works just as perfect for the sofas as well as the high celing works with the dining room.

Visit Pinterest for dining table decoration solutions.

Lily Akopyan thanked Trine Vig
  • decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I think the cool blue paint isn't working with all the other warm wood, stone and leather tones. The sheer window treatment is a bit flimsy looking beside the massive leather sofas. The coffee table is too large for the sofas. Ideally it should be no longer than 2/3 of the length between the sofa arms. the width should be 1/3 - 1/2 of the sofa's overall length. Try a linear chandelier for the dining room and a rug 4' wider and longer than the table top. Keep the dining area near the kitchen. The art at the keyboard is hung too high. Center points of art alone should be 5' above the floor. When hanging above furniture, the lower frame should be 5' above the furniture. Keep pieces no wider than 75% of the furniture they hang with. Pieces in the living room look about right. The dining side needs more furniture - maybe a buffet on the long wall at the end with art above it.

Lily Akopyan thanked decoenthusiaste
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

I would pull the sofas a little bit further away from windows and back just a little to walls. They appear to be too close to coffee table. I wonder if the cabinet would be better placed on the long wall at the end of dining table. Rugs are definitely needed for the 2 areas. and some big art.

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Lily Akopyan thanked susan2494
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

Need 2 of these over dining table.

• W
    8 years ago
    I think the coffee table is great. I would move the sofas back a few inches. And I liked the suggestion of a linear chandelier for the dining table.
  • lee828
    8 years ago

Does the curio have to stay? Could it go into a different room? I have a curio in my dining room that was passed down from my grandfather but finally decided to move it since it was dating the room. Not sure where its going lol, but knew it was time to go!

• lee828
    8 years ago

This pulls it together so nicely ..

(great choice!)

Lily Akopyan thanked lee828
  • Lily Akopyan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I forgot to mention that we are thinking of changing the wall colors. Maybe silverfish grey?

the coffee table is petrified wood made by my husband and I totally love it. He made it too big... I kind of like our leather sofas too but I am open to see if you would suggest other sofa there... Like you said, bigger....

the dining room table is also custom made from mahagony and it sits good 14 people. I love that piece as well. Love the idea of chandliers and rugs....

• Lily Akopyan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• lee828
    8 years ago

Wow he did a great job! I would keep the coffee table, especially now knowing it was handmade!!! I think the sofas would be okay size-wise but need to be pulled apart some. The tables nearby to the sofas are too small - instead of making the sofas seem heavy enough the small furniture nearby does the opposite.

Lily Akopyan thanked lee828
  • decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

It's a great coffee table - especially since he made it! I'd replace the sofas with something that compliments and fits the massive table. Here's an interesting idea below with two chaise sectionals. Keep the seating in a light tone from the petrified wood and add color with pillows, throws, etc. Silvery gray paint still sounds like a cool color. Wait until you find new seating. Paint is the last step in a decorating project because it must also work well with the fabrics, since those can't be changed so easily. If you keep the brown sofas, look for a blue-green paint similar to the background of the first rug susan2494 posted. That takes you in a warmer direction. Your surrounding warm kitchen, foyer, etc are too great a contrast with the cold look of your current living/dining paint. Unless you plan to paint the rest of the home in cool colors, I would definitely go for a warmer color in the living/dining space.

jamesthomas, LLC · More Info

• Lila
    8 years ago

You just need to accessorize a little more and everything will look great. Artwork, drapery panels and area rugs will finish everything.

Lily Akopyan thanked Lila
  • Lily Akopyan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

How about hanging two mirrors on the walls by each sofa shown in this picture?

You are suggesting rugs in both areas - coffee table and dining table. Do they have to match?

I agree that the dining room area wall needs a buffet and art above it. Really love that idea. Also hanging linear chandelier will give it a beautiful look.

What type of curtains should I use for the windows instead of the blinds?

I am leaning going more classic/modern look at my space is really beautiful.

I don't like clutter. We are more into less is more and pieces that are useful.

Also, not a big fan of curtains.... the french doors I have by the dining room, go directly into our patio/pool area. Not having blinds or curtains there hasn't been an issue for me.

Changing the wall color is a must. Finding the right pain color is going to be a bit tough for me...

Thank you all for taking time and teaching me the right way of going towards the design. This is the most nerve racking part for someone like me.

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Consider one of these behind sofa rather than mirrors, will work with color, blue or grey or even beige. Mirrors would not reflect anything, these have their own interest

Hung vertically or horizontally

I would just use sheers at the windows, if you need privacy then hang over the blinds.

Rugs to not have to alike in both areas, but should be like colors so they flow together. I personally would not put rug in LR as the coffee table is large and rug would be lost. The 2nd rug I posted above would look great in DR even with paint change.

• Lily Akopyan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Susan,

I like the rug you posted next to my dining room area. Really works there and you are right, my coffee table is hugh and it will empower it

Blinds are necessary for us as the window looks right outside. So sheer blinds hang high?

Instead of mirrors invest in artwork?

• susan2494
    8 years ago

rug is from overstock.com ITEM# 15452616 9'6"x12'11" $788

I hung sheers over my patio doors over the verticals. Rods will extend 3-5" from wall to go over blinds. You won't have any trouble finding them to fit, come in many heights.

I was just saying instead of mirrors just reflecting each other, that the wall panels I posted might be a good option. They have color and reflect light. The problem with having duel sofas is finding art that will reflect each other but not be the same. You really don't want identical pieces of art in the same area. But with the wall panels or mirrors they can be alike.

Also check out Benjamin Moore Manor Blue for walls. Still a blue/grey tone, but more muted.

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

Nice lighting to break up symmetry in the corners would help this living room . Also unique lighting over the coffee table can help define the space. Here are a couple of suggestions. See more at Lightsculptures...www.tjferrie.com

• Lily Akopyan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Added the rug and some antique chairs I had in my bedroom.

• PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    7 years ago

Love the well traveled and lived in look of your home. The rug is beautiful but doesnt quite work in this space. What do you think of this?

Lily Akopyan thanked RugKnots | Area Rugs
  • decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago

You need a rug that anchors the sofas and table. Round is not the way to go with that big rectangular table. Biggest improvement would be window treatments to replace the apartment style vertical blinds.

• PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    7 years ago

This rug would look great too and using curtains instead of the vertical blinds make a huge difference

Lily Akopyan thanked RugKnots | Area Rugs