Software
Houzz Logo Print
sphillips01

Living room...furniture/paint/awkward wall questions!

11 years ago

I'm trying to rearrange the furniture in my living room. I recently took out the tv (we watch in another room). I'm trying to make this a room for reading/relaxing/hanging out. We have 3 kids & 2 dogs so nothing too fancy here!

The tv used to be to the right of the fireplace on a stand and the love seat was to the left of the fireplace against that wall.

I feel like this arrangement looks weird for some reason. It's also a little weird that the walls on either side of the fireplace are different widths.

I labeled some of the pics...this room is connected to the kitchen/front door area. Some things are still being moved around so I put an X on them.

Looking for ideas for:

-Furniture arrangement...we'll probably keep the couch/loveseat for now but would like another chair or 2 (and remove the green chair)

-Paint the mantle/area over the fireplace? Color?

-What to do with the wall to the right of the tv

-Coffee table?

Ok, basically any advice...I am obviously not a decorator! :)

Thank you!




Comments (9)

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    turn the rug the other way.

    remove the love seat

    add a second chair

    end tables lamps

    perhaps some wall shelves left of fire place

    a desk with shelves to the right for home work?

    sphillips01 thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    Try moving the love seat to the location of the green chair. Put the green chair in the old TV alcove with a lamp and small table for a reading nook. Alternatively, put bookshelves in the alcove.

    sphillips01 thanked Dar Eckert
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    perfect

    sphillips01 thanked A&E Tile and Marble, LLC
  • 11 years ago

    I feel like adding a reading nook to the right of the fireplace with a comfortable shelf or a bench would be really cool. If you wanted to add one or two floating book shelves or a small wall unit to the left of the fireplace, that would be nice, too. If you did add the reading nook, you could get rid of the love seat and change the placement of the couch.

    sphillips01 thanked Anum Ahmed
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Are the two large pieces of furniture the same size? If so, why not place them opposite each other (one with the back to the window). That would make it more open to the entry (I'm assuming) as well as the kitchen and create a flow and nice conversation setup. The problem with the fireplace wall can be mitigated with a couple of bookcases, different widths of course. The fireplace looks loved = used and I think that white paint looks a little stark, while it makes the fireplace look dingy. Go for rustic wood and then paint the white above/along the FP the same color. I like the color of the wood on your sofas or your kitchen cabinets so that's a good place to start. I love your rug - really pretty - find pillows with those colors but think less muted-pick up gold/rust/olive tones to give the room a little more life. And if you ever think about changing out curtains, consider first, hanging them so they nearly touch the ceiling and second, get a bolder solid or a graphic that will compliment the rug. Sheers aren't a bad idea either. Think white/ivory on the sheers and then find a great gold curtain to brighten and warm up the room.

    BTW, what are the dimensions of those 2 walls beside the FP?

    sphillips01 thanked columbia93
  • 11 years ago

    Thanks for the input!!

    I do like the idea of shelves to the right of the fireplace.

    A reading nook with a chair and table there sounds nice too...

    We tried the sofa and love seat facing each other but that didn't seem quite right (maybe because they are different lengths?) It does look more open but that back right corner is empty. (Shelves or a desk maybe?) I have a phone pic of that (we tried that over the weekend) Thoughts?


    columbia93: do you mean paint the white part of the fireplace the same darker brown as the wood on the sofa?



  • 11 years ago

    also, the dimensions of the walls are: 34" on the left and 69" on the right

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    try centering the love seat to the sofa, yes it is going to hang off the back wall.

    the other option is to have it face the fire place and the chair opposite the couch with an end table.