Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimm34

Help! Granite seems to be changing color!

kimm34
8 years ago

We recently had Lennon Granite installed in our new kitchen. We knew there were pink/orange spots in it but now it seems like all of the cream spots are turning pink too! Could it be that they did not seal it properly before the install?

Comments (19)

• PRO
    InterMix Interiors
    8 years ago

It may be the mastic that they used to lay the slab? Some stones are very temperamental to chemicals. I am sure you took a picture when it was put in take another and call the slab yard to the installer.

• kiki929
    8 years ago

I don't believe they used mastic under the entire surface. There is just glue along the edge where the cabinets are.

• PRO
    InterMix Interiors
    8 years ago

Is the underneath of the stone clean or does it have a mesh and finish on it? Some of the stones with a lot of movement actually have a mesh that is under them to help prevent cracking as well as a "glue" that hold the mesh on. This could be another area of concern in lighter stones especially if they were left out in the sun at the slab yard in high temperatures

• kimm34
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It has a mesh. I didn't notice if it had the mesh on in the warehouse. Would it have been applied after we selected the slab and during the cutting process? Also how long would it take for the changes to start occurring if it was the glue? We've had the countertops for 2 weeks now and I'm just now noticing it getting pinker every day.

• kimm34
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I just looked at pics and mesh appears to have been on there at warehouse. I'll attach a few pics. Here is one of slab from warehouse.

• kimm34
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here are some current pics.

• kimm34
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Any more thoughts on this? Granite installers came out the other day and offered nothing. I have a few stains too now from tomato sauce. I wiped it within a couple minutes but it still stained. When I showed them they said I need to wipe it which I informed them I did. I thought the sealer was supposed to help with this! All they said about all the white turning pink was that it was probably the new temperature in the house. No one told me it would change color possibly. I would NEVER had picked this stone had I known it was going to turn pink!

• hayleydaniels
    8 years ago

I don't have granite, and have never been around it much so I don't know anything about it, but I do have a thought for you to research. Florescent light fades stuff like the paint on the wall so that might impact your granite.

• PRO
    InterMix Interiors
    8 years ago

This is really strange to me. I have never seen stone turn a color unless there was some type of moisture that got under the stone or they used the wrong "glue" to hold it down. The only other thing I can think of is that seeing the granite in a slab at the yard and then having it made into the kitchen surfaces has emphasized the color that is already there, now you see the piece smaller and more close up. Did you get the same slab that you picked out???? In terms of the tomato sauce there should be no issue with that. They should have sealed the stone after it was installed and granite is not really porous so I am amazed it would stain!

kimm34 thanked InterMix Interiors
  • kimm34
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm starting to wonder if it is the right slab that I picked out. I really can't tell now that it's been cut. In regards to the sauce that is exactly what I said, that if it was sealed properly that it should have been fine and not stained. The 3 pieces of granite, my island, piece next to oven and fridge and my desk area were all cut from the same slab and they are the areas that are showing the most pink. I just don't know what to do at this point. I'm so frustrated.

• susanalanandwrigley
    8 years ago
    How much could be attributed to different lighting and also how different surfaces look horizontal vs vertical? We've found things look very different depending on these 2 things as we have searched.
  • Nancy Walton
    8 years ago

Usually a pink color in granite is because there is feldspar in the make-up of the stone. Perhaps it is more noticeable with the slab on a horizontal plane, instead of the vertical plane you viewed the slab originally. The granite vendor would know if there is feldspar in the Lennon granite, but the installer probably wouldn't know that. I carefully looked for identifying veining in your counter compared to the slab you supposedly picked out, and I don't think they used the slab you picked out. The veining is completely different.

kimm34 thanked Nancy Walton
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    8 years ago

Nancy is on to something here. First, ensure your installed granite is REALLY from the slab you picked! I mean get it in writing from EVERYONE that you have the slab you SIGNED (you did sign it I hope).

The next thing is that lighting changes everything...direction of windows, paint colour, drapery, cabinet colours, floor colours, lighting elements, bulb colours, etc all "throw" colour. What shows in a warehouse may or may not show in a home. The opposite is also true...what does NOT show in a warehouse may be glaringly, painfully obvious in situ.

As for "staining", granite can etch and hold colour (acid etching from tomatoes, vinegar, water, etc) and are all well established events. Sealing does not stop etching...but it will slow staining. The absorbancy of the stone will affect the choice of sealant, how many coats and how often it is needed. The manufacturer will need to answer the specifics about what was used. Soft stones that are light in colour will show stains more so than hard dark stones.

If this is "etching" (looks like the surface has lost luster/looks duller) then there is nothing to be done...sealants don't work against etching.

kimm34 thanked Cancork Floor Inc.
  • angela1987
    7 years ago
    I'm having a similar problem. I'm getting brownish yellow spots in my countertops that were white with grey veins and spots.
    In the attached photos was a grey spot on the day they were installed, the other is the same spot today just a couple weeks after the install. This is happening in multiple spots. Any idea what's going on?
  • angela1987
    7 years ago

This has only been installed for two weeks, I haven't even cooked in this kitchen as my stove isn't installed yet. I wiped the counter down with a damp cloth.

• PRO
    Melling Granite
    6 years ago

I would like to talk with you about your granite turning pink. I'm a fabricator and have had several job turn pink. I would like to get to the bottom of this problem. Also I don't think it is any of the issues that have been mentioned here in this thread. If you would be interested in talking with me I will forward you my info. Thanks.

• Aglitter
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

For anyone researching Lennon granite, I want to add that I've seen this granite as part of the Naturamia collection by Levantina, and it looks so similar to another variety in the same collection called Dolomiti (which is also similar in appearance to Polar Vortex granite). I've been trying to find more information about the composition of these similar-looking slabs that are labeled "granite" and have come across several resources indicating these slabs could have higher-than-average component of dolomite in them (note the name "Dolomiti" of the stone labeled "granite"), which would lean them toward more of a marble classification. Marble is often calcite but can also contain dolomite. Dolomite is more durable than calcite but less durable than granite. Dolomite can stain and etch. If you'll do an internet search for dolomite countertops, you'll see patterns that simulate the appearance of this Lennon.

To summarize, I'm curious if it's possible the OP's Lennon is in between a marble and a granite in mineral composition, thus making it more prone to staining and etching than normal granite. Some other reviews of Lennon granite would indicate it's not that delicate of a stone. I've read one review here at Houzz of problems with the durability of Polar Vortex granite which looks similar to Lennon and Dolomiti, and again if you'll research photos of dolomite countertops, you'll see similarities in the patterns of all these slabs to genuine dolomite. Not being a stone expert, I could be off base with these theories, but if anyone else has more information, I'm interested to know if these "granites" could actually be more accurately labeled as dolomites. They are beautiful, and we're considering the Dolomiti for our kitchen, but we'd like to avoid a delicate stone.

• NvrEngh
    last month

Whoever (Intermix Interiors) said granite isn't porous doesn't know much about stone ...

Like all natural stone, granite is a porous material, which means it has minuscule pockets of empty space throughout its structure. However, you're not placing raw, unfinished stone on top of your cabinets – you're selecting a slab that once finished and sealed, will have significantly reduced porosity.

But still some.