Software
Houzz Logo Print
jules2764

what to do with this fireplace?

11 years ago
hi everyone! about to buy this house and thinking of decorating. want to move towards contemporary/industrial /rustic look and not sure what to with this fireplace because it's neither. thinking of grey walls, neutral furniture with colorful accents. any advice?

Comments (20)

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Do some nice thing to fireplace

    Alta Modern Chalet · More Info
    You can also use gray color for fireplace...

  • 11 years ago
    that looks expensive...
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    You have to do something, the existing fireplace is horrible I'm afraid. You can do something simple if you cannot afford to do the above suggestion. If you plan on being in the house at least five years it a worth the investment. This solution I'm proposing is easy and quite simple, it can be done with drywall, marble or porcelain slabs.

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    You do not have to follow expensive way...make what you can do....tile ! Сорри! Не в коня овёс!

  • PRO
    11 years ago

  • 11 years ago

    I like Gray & Walters idea to try to make the fireplace recede and be less of a feature. Be sure to take down those drapes.

  • 11 years ago
    thanks! I am leaning towards that same idea. Does a general contractor usually handle these types of jobs? and yes, I'm happy they're taking the curtains with them :)
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Listen - your door / entry door at least has eyebrows (arched tops), . .this is not a house for contemporary . the fireplace you have is sort of rustic / japanese / contemporary . . . you can go towards farmhouse maybe but the doors are dark and the floors are light and on the angle . . can we see more photos . . trying to help you have something cohesive .. before you tear out one of the things that will be most expensive to replace lets' get a vision - let me go see your ideabooks to see what styles you like . .

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    HI -- Are you sure you want to go in that style direction ??? Because the style of the house doesn't seem to fit that . Anyway that stylized fireplace front would be the first thing I would invest in re-moving . It's interesting but ugly. It spoils the room. Re-move the facing and do just a full slab of stone /marble /granite , cut to fit . Or salvage a bit of the surrounding stone that is there and add something else to compliment . Do just a straight full wall panel not a mantel surround . You could also use a full sheet of cold rolled steel cut to fit and rusted and sealed . It will kind of look like a rich wood color and be an up scale industrial touch. I think I would do a full sheet of mahogany wood with the bit of saved stone around the firebox . Or the burnt wood look is very in now . It is a Japanese way of burning the wood ( shou-sugi- ban ) a bit and then brushed and sealed for effect . Again a rustic but up scale look.

  • 11 years ago
    Some ideas, I like the more streamline fireplaces, modern but rustic, they look smart, love the last pic, a real feature
  • 11 years ago

    Hi Jules - I see that you love gray with pops of citron or yellow. The stone around this fireplace supports that scheme . . so you could pull down the asian wood elements and keep the stone surround but layer drywall over the top and sides - just one layer of drywall on battens could create a popout - paint that feature dark gray . . that would be inexpensive and come out closest to the inspiration photo you have for furniture . . this is not a house for the historic victorian fireplace you have in your ideabook . .but a rustic contemporary thing can happen here .. could we have some photos of the whole room and how that tile floor connects to other spaces? it is unusual for flooring to cut a room literally into 1/3 2/3 so it must lead somewhere useful .. flow to an adjacent dining or kitchen maybe?


  • 11 years ago

    You have a great space to work with Jules. Neutral with pops will totally work for you. I'd get a fireplace refacers to come give you ideas. The existing probably will need to be removed.

  • 11 years ago
    Once the window treatments are gone, and the furniture, you'll have a clearer sense of the room. The light fixture "clashes" with your style, too.
  • 11 years ago
    I haven't even started to think about the light fixture!
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I would use onyx slateFlex around the fireplace

    similar to this http://sainteriordesignstoronto.com/dream.html

  • 11 years ago

    Better pic of the current masterpiece...


  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I would try a greystone to compliment the colors. I wouldn't personally go with a current fad in stonework such as stacked stone. Fireplaces should have a timeless look.

  • 11 years ago

    Looks even better! So looks like the firebox is a new gas insert. Maybe you could get a slim prefab surround and tile in with a floor level hearth.