Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kdennishome

Help with my (very small!) living room makeover?

kdennishome
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I have a very small living room in an open concept main floor row house. Looking to replace the couch and get an area rug. Love my antique media centre and the accent chair but everything else can go. Suggestions on layout and what kind of couch? Rug? how about lighting? There are potlights but thinking about the floor lamp. Or maybe end table with lamp?

I also have bookshelves and a small piece I use to store DVD's. Any and all suggetions appreciated! ALso - would you suggest painting the baseboards white or leave as is? Many thanks for your help!

Comments (49)

• marycifuentes
    8 years ago

Antique table is amazing, but move it under the mirror, this will allow it to show off its uniqueness. Put TV on wall. Accent chair is cute, maybe another one and put these where the couch is. Bench or ottoman to replace small glass table and can be moved to under window as well/ottoman can also serve as storage. Wall/floating bookshelf could work. hope this helps.

kdennishome thanked marycifuentes
  • Angel 18432
    8 years ago

I agree with keeping the chair and decorating your room with colors from it. I would keep the coffee table as it is glass and gives a "lighter" appearance. Go shopping for your love seat to go with the chair - then a rug taking colors from loveseat and chair.

The gold mirror over the table to too heavy looking for the table. Perhaps you could try a couple of your pictures from the room in place of it. A nice lamp on the table would be nice also. We don't know what "you like", so why not go shopping and see what speaks to. We can always help along the way. Good luck.

kdennishome thanked Angel 18432
  • Alexandra
    8 years ago

You are off to a really good start. I love your coffee table. It's a definite keeper due to it's rounded shape and transparency. I also love your vintage chest. So much character!

I would get rid of the accent chair and the couch. Get a couch with a chaise in a lighter color(tan, light gray or light green?). I would have the couch a little bit longer and have the chaise part where your accent chair is now so that you can easily move around. My personal favorite is Ikea's Ektorp couch. However, if you don't have children, I would go with a couch where the legs are exposed. I would also avoid bulky arms that take up too much visual space (these types of sofas can also seat 4 people easily and the chaise could be used as a seating for a guest while you are cleaning up the dining room table).

Paramount Sectional: Chaise and Adjacent 2-Seater, Chalk · More Info

Istanbul Sectional Sofa w Chaise (Right) · More Info

A rug is something that's up to your personal taste. The most important thing is the size of the rug. If you are getting a rectangular rug, make sure it is not too big for the space. It should only "kiss" the legs of the couch and the front of the chest. However, you could also go with a cowhide-type of rug (see last picture below).

I like your leaning shelves. I would keep them there and just have the couch reach all the way to the leaning shelves.

In terms of art above the couch, it may be tricky with the chair rail going across. I would suggest hanging a hand made tapestry, a large flag or other ethnic handmade piece. Something like this so that the bottom of it falls about 8 to 10 inches above the couch or kisses the back of the couch:

Contemporary Living Room · More Info

kdennishome thanked Alexandra
  • Nancy Ingram
    8 years ago
    See my inspiration board but love everything you have. I would take your little did chest and use it where your floor lamp is now and put a lamp on it. I would move the giraffe and pot somewhere else. I would edit down you books so you can place some chotchkees there too. Rug Is a natural fiber one and I would also add dark woven shade to add texture. The black accents will play off of black stain I suggested for stairs on a different post.
    kdennishome thanked Nancy Ingram
  • kdennishome
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Such amazing advice - thank you everyone I am learning so much and have so many ideas now already!!!!! The couch is definitely going and I've been looking at some from Urban Barn that have an ottoman that look similar to the couches suggested by azotova87. Looking to go with grey I think. I am going to replace the credenza under the gold mirror ($80 Zellers find when i had zero $$$!) LIke the idea of moving my antique cabinet there but it holds my media components so it wn't work form a functional stand point. I could also set up the room differently - does it make sense to put the couch infront of the window? I've tried putting it opposite the window but it cuts off the dining room and make the place look even smaller than it is! Btw pot next to the giraffe normally has a snake plant but I managed to kill it and haven't been able to find a replacement!!! And interesting idea to move the DVD cabinet next to couch and put a lamp on it! Would you get rid of the floor lamp entirely then?

• Alexandra
    8 years ago
    I think you have a lot of good natural instincts. I think the layout is the best the way it is. I wouldn't turn the position of the couch unless you will be getting rid of the tv.
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

If you are going to replace console under mirror, I would move the chest that is now holding TV under the mirror and replace it with a new TV console instead. One that will hold your TV "stuff". The chest is beautiful but doesn't really go with the contemporary look of your chair. That way you can get a new loveseat that is better suited to the chair.

kdennishome thanked susan2494
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

• susan2494
    8 years ago

BTW, I suggest that you clean up the bookcases, you have an overload there. They look like they are ready to collapse.

• susan2494
    8 years ago

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Get a white shag rug for the area.

• Alexandra
    8 years ago

I know some people would prefer to move the antique chest. I vote to leave it as is. It will go wonderfully with your new contemporary/modern couch. The chest will close up valuable visual space by the stairs, it is too low to serve as a console table and may protrude too much into the pathway. I suggest getting something like this for under the gold mirror. It takes up very little visual space and you can tuck a couple of golden/metallic stools as shown in the pictures (something that reflects light as it will help open up the space) that could serve as additional sitting in the living room area or as side tables to put glasses down for when you have company.

http://www.westelm.com/products/box-frame-console-glass-antiquebronze-h1186/?pkey=e%7Cconsoles%7C54%7Cbest%7C4294967200%7C1%7C24%7C%252Fconsoles%252Ffurniture%7C14&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH

• mermaide
    8 years ago
    I'd like to see the mirror or a painting over this couch or the new future couch
    A colorful artsy area rug and a smaller coffee table...that should do it
    kdennishome thanked mermaide
  • kdennishome
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So much amazing advice - thank you thank you thank you!!! Getting excited now instead of dreading the shopping trip!!! A couple of you have asked about the couch - this is sort of what I had in mind....

http://www.urbanbarn.com/product/lure+sofa+chaise+-taylor+charcoal.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=fn

The living room space is so small - this is the size of the current "apt size couch" ( 78" wide x 36" deep) but I liked the 'removable ottoman' that I thought could go on the side under the window to provide extra seating without blocking the light.

Here's another from Urban Barn that is the same size - a little less 'casual' that i'm also considering:

I love the look of the GUS line of couches but they are too big (I've measured it out and even put masking tape on the floor to see!)

I like the 'mix' of the antique chest (I'm a big traveller and like to mix interesting stuff in with more classic but contemporary foundational pieces) Don't want to go too "modern" in case it doesn't work well? Here's a better picture of hte cabinet (that yes my puppy chewed the leg on and I almost killed her as a result!!!)

Btw loved the suggestion of a tapestery over the couch as that would totally fit with my travels! That chair rail I hate... Previous owner did some kind of 'texturing' with plaster on the lower half and my contractor said to remove the chair rail and 'flatten out' the wall would be a huge undertaking so I"m afraid I'm stuck with it. Has always been problematic as it's too high! ANd why there is nothing over the couch right now as i've tried a couple of things and nothing really works!!!

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

I would add curtains to both sides of the window to bring in more colour http://sainteriordesignstoronto.com/treasured-moments.html

also a big print with panoramic view will make room look bigger similar to this http://sainteriordesignstoronto.com/fire-to-the-rain.html

kdennishome thanked User
  • kdennishome
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I've debated about curtains - again because the space is soooo small. Also - when I had the windows replaced, I asked them to 'save' the original 100 year old stained glass which I loved... I am planning on having it 'restored' and was going to hang it from the ceiling infront of the window, in which case curtains would probably be too much, no? Here is what it currently looks like...

• juditthanneflanagan
    8 years ago
    Maybe you should put that Stainglass window above the couch just as a piece of art
    kdennishome thanked juditthanneflanagan
  • katinparadise
    8 years ago

I'm not sure you would have room for both an ottoman and a coffee table. If you're going to replace your console, you could get something that's open at the bottom so you can put a couple of poufs under it to pull out for extra seating if needed. Hanging the stained glass window in front of your window would be lovely as long as you don't need shades or blinds for privacy. Consider a sofa with legs to give more feeling of space. I really think a sofa with two cushions is a better option since it's a bit smaller scale. I'm not sure more than two people would ever be sitting on a smaller piece. My current sofa is 70" long and holds two comfortably. Something that size might give you room for an end table and lamp on the right side of the sofa as you face it. It looks as though your dvd cabinet might be a little tall to act as a side table. If you keep a coffee table, you don't really need a side table. IMO, a floor lamp is a better option. Good luck with your space!

kdennishome thanked katinparadise
  • decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

Your gold mirror is too large and to heavy visually for the console below it. I'd use the antique media center there with the mirror hung vertically. Lose the ladder bookshelves and that little piece left of them. Painting the baseboard will lead to the stairs, so if you're not ready to tackle painting them, just wait. Try a Jane bi-sectional sofa whose chaise portion can reverse from left to right to give you more flexibility in arranging and rearranging your room. it is also smaller scale. Instead of a coffee table, use a pair of "C" tables with the sofa and add an arc lamp to one corner. This table combines the metal of the sofa and the rustic wood that compliments the direction of your antique piece. Add a fun rug with a bit of contemporary flair.

Gus Modern Jane Bi-Sectional Sofa, Velvet Midnight · More Info

Provence Reclaimed Pine Wood End Table · More Info

Lil Mo Hipster Polyester, Hand-Tufted Rug, Blue, 4'x6' · More Info

Delhi Hand-Tufted Rug, Blue, 3'6"x5'6" · More Info

Trend Lighting BFA8411 Lux II Arc Floor Lamp · More Info

kdennishome thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Angel 18432
    8 years ago

I like your idea for sofa you like with the extension under the window for extra seating, but it does look as if it will be a bit tight. With regards to the trim, i would paint the top, bottom and trim all the same color instead of painting the trim white which only highlights it.

Is it possible to post pictures of the other end of the room - just wondered if we might be able to move things "out of the corner". Could you move the tv and unit to where the 2 shelving units are.

• sandradclark
    8 years ago

Paint the entire walls the same color to eliminate the look of division w/ the chair rail. Try stacking half of the books for a more sturdy look. You can also take off 1/3 next to the bookshelves to stack on the floor. Looks very eclectic.

Cancun Rug, Blue Sea, 6'x9' · More Info

Coaster Jasmine Leather Sofa in White · More Info

kdennishome thanked sandradclark
  • sandradclark
    8 years ago

Also hang the stained glass from chains & hooks in front of the window (hang it horizontally even if it extends beyond the size of the window.

• T G
    8 years ago

Arrange your books by color, flank the bookcases on either side of the TV, hang your curtains from the ceiling to give the space some height, and replace the coffee table with a large ottoman

kdennishome thanked T G
  • kdennishome
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone for your awesome help!!! Here are views of the rest of the LR/DR area as requested... Love the idea of a turquoise rug! And tonite I'm going to sort through the books and lighten up the shelves in the interim!

• kdennishome
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have a beautiful chocolate brown leather ottoman that I used to use for my coffee table (its currently in my bedroom!) I found the glass opened up the small room better even tho the ottoman was so functional! Especially with a rug - I'm loving the suggestions for the turquoise with a lighter grey couch!

• emmaline98
    8 years ago

I know I'm a little late to the discussion, but one piece of advice I would put in is make as many things floating as possible. Floating pieces minimize the space an object takes up visually and make a room seem bigger. So replace the dvd cabinets with dvd shelves. If you want an entertainment center, IKEA has some really great wall mountable ones. I think that would visually clean up your area.

Also, try to veer towards white finishes to make your room seem bigger. I like the idea of the white shag rug just because its white. The blues, however, are really beautiful, so a blue rug with a white couch wouldn't be a bad route either.

Finally, the direction of your hardwood floors is stretching the room vertically, making it seem longer than it really is. You probably want to try to stretch it horizontally as well since it is a smaller room. One slightly more drastic option would be to paint horizontal stripes (blue and white?) on the lower half of your walls. You could also hang horizontal artwork on your window wall.

Good luck!

Here's a bit of an extreme example (the stripes can be much more subtle) but you can see how it "stretches" the room and makes it seem larger.

kdennishome thanked emmaline98
  • Alexandra
    8 years ago

I like your sofa choices. Go with the beige couch that has the chaise on the left side (opposite the window, not under the window). It will balance out the space making it look more symmetrical with the tv stand. Also, going with the beige couch instead of the gray will make the antique tv stand pop and will flow better with the restored window you will hang on the window. It will also balance out better with the dark wood dining room set.

Seeing the rest of the room, I don't even think you need a rug in the living room area once the new couch comes in. You may need a rug under the dining room table though.

You have a nice, cozy place.

• Angel 18432
    8 years ago

Thanks for the pictures. It does give us a better idea of what the scale of the room is. Now I think the single chair might be a little big for the area and maybe 2 smaller ones might go

Not the same space as yours, but just for inspiration.

Homes Under 700 sq feet · More Info

small contemporary townhome · More Info

kdennishome thanked Angel 18432
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

Before you buy a sofa send me your LR dimensions and I will see what sofa will fit in space. The area is small. I am not sure a chaise sofas will fit. The room looks to be about 10x12

• susan2494
    8 years ago

This is what the room will look like with a 87" chaise sofa, your cabinet, TV and chair. In a 10x12' area. used 6x9' rug

• kdennishome
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Susan! So nice of you to do that! I'd actually tried using Urban Barn's room planner with their Lure chaise a while back... here's how it looked... It can't be right up against the window because of the heating vent and while the current couch is about that much out from the wall I'm afraid it might look weird. agree with other comments about the chaise part on the other side but then there is no room for the chair. Also tried moving some stuff around last night - the DVD cabinet is too tall for the space. Even tried moving a bookshelf over there but looked funny - too much empty space. Current couch is 78" btw and pieces below are all to exact measurements in the room. FUn but frustrating at the same time, I really appreciate hearing everyone's suggestions however!!!

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Sometimes we just have to face the room and do what we can. I think your TV is in the right place so it is a matter of choosing the right sofa. I do think that the chaise sofa will overwhelm the space. Find a new 75-79" sofa, you do have space for that. You might even get another chair in with the right size. Believe me people would rather have their own space in a chair than be crowded together on a sofa. Your current chair is very nice, so with a neutral sofa you can get a solid blue or brown and the space will look great.

• PRO
    Mohairs & More
    8 years ago

Have you thought of adding a throw blanket for the sofa in one of the colors of the chair? Its a bit hard to tell from the photo of the chair, but perhaps there may be an accent you can use among these? (All from http://mohairsandmore.com/mohair-throws).

kdennishome thanked Mohairs & More
  • Alexandra
    8 years ago

Yes, I agree with Susan. My initial suggestion for sofa with a chaise was with an assumption that the chair was not going to stay and that there was not going to be any additional chairs in place, like this:

Seaport Village · More Info

If you are keeping the chair, I would not choose a sofa with a chaise, go with a regular sized sofa so that your layout is something like this:

Barton Hills · More Info

• Joanie Coleman
    8 years ago
    Looking at the room from various photos, it seems like a fair amount of open space between the living area and the dining area. (Defined by the book shelves.) is there a way to borrow some of that space and make the living area bigger...so you don't have it all pushed to the front of the home? This would allow you to get an big bigger sofa or another chair... Based on the dining room with 6 chairs, I'm guessing you'd want seating for 4 in the living area?
  • katinparadise
    8 years ago

I completely agree that a chaise sofa is the wrong piece for your space. I wouldn't want to be the person sitting at the end of the chaise with no back support or stuck on the chaise with my legs elevated. I truly believe your existing chair and a new sofa is the way to go.

• Lila
    8 years ago
    • Agree that the chaise doesn't work particularly as it can't be up against the wall. Nobody is going to want to sit there. Also agree that you are needlessly squishing the room. You could easily pull the couch and chair a little more into the dining space. As for hanging art above the sofa; don't even consider the chair rail; just hang the art right over it at the correct height. I love you tv cabinet and chair; you have a great start.
    kdennishome thanked Lila
  • Alexandra
    8 years ago

I actually disagree about the chaise. We are a family of 4 and went from a cramped seating of a sofa and a love seat to an ikea ektorp sofa by itself that has a chaise. It is the most versatile, favorite area of our guests to sit.

• kdennishome
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hey everyone! I got my new couch and just picked up the rug... onto the next challenge! Would love suggestions for and end table/lamp vs floor lamp? Do I go with curtains and if so, what given the rug? I am still looking for art behind the couch - a photo gallery look was suggested, thoughts???

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Very nice. Since you have a floor lamp I would get table and lamp.

• susan2494
    8 years ago

• katinparadise
    8 years ago

It looks great! I agree with Susan that an end table and lamp would be in order. If you're wanting to do drapes, just a simple panel in cream or maybe the lighter blue in your chair or rug. You could do a grommet top or a back tab, which I just bought and really like. Maybe something with just a bit of texture. Both Home Goods and Target carry some nice panels that are well made and at good prices.

• juditthanneflanagan
    8 years ago
    I love that square glass and table that Susan showed I think that would look perfect and not take up too much space. It adds a much-needed sense of lightness from all the wood. Does that floor lamp convert to a smaller size
  • Alexandra
    8 years ago

Great progress. Yes, a gallery wall would be nice. I would incorporate the two frames you have on the far wall into the gallery above the couch and not hang anything there except for the window treatments. Have you considered pulling one of the colors from the chair into the window treatments? I think a light green color would be a great contrast against the grey/bluish walls.

• kdennishome
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Azotova87! I was thinking if I did go with window treatments I would def move the paintings... if i put the paintings about the couch for gallery can i mix photography with painting? Or should it be all photography/all paintings? Given the colours int he rug tho I'm hesitant about colour in the curtains now... see photo for close up of rug - i love that it pulls in the blues and cream ot the chair as well as the grey of the couch! Someone had suggested a 'second life' rug where they strip out the colour from a vintage rug then redye it but it was twice the cost of the couch!!! This was a better compromise...

• Alexandra
    8 years ago

You can put absolutely anything you want into the gallery wall. It all depends on what kind of feeling you want it to give off. The key is to get all the things you would like to hang layed out on the floor. Play around with the layout and once you decide what you like carefully plot the gallery wall "map on the wall".

One tip, when you are laying out the gallery wall, you want to create hints of geometric, clean lines where the eye could pick up slight patterns and lines. You can stack pictures and then have one painting on each side, or have both of the paintings next to each other and then do a stack of picture frames.

55 Central Park West · More Info

• kdennishome
    Original Author
    8 years ago

LOL! I had to laugh Azotova87 when you said the trick to to create 'hints of patterns' - despite my obvious design challenges I"m actually a photographer and style is "containing chaos by seeking to find patterns in objects!" I'll let you know how it goes, thank you again for all your advice!!!

• amoney2
    7 years ago
    EAß
Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022