Software
Houzz Logo Print
mont215

Accent Color For Brick?

11 years ago
Please excuse the appearance of our home! As you can see she is in need of some help. I will be replacing trim, soffits, broken pieces of siding and painting. I am keeping the red color (Benjamin Moore Cottage Red) landscape will be torn out... OK, for my current dilemma-this brick was painted because originally it was very 60's orange and looked terrible with the red, would a charcoal grey help to anchor/accent the red or should I leave it as is- my hesitation is due to the front door area. I fear it will stand out too much.

Comments (10)

  • 11 years ago

    Ah, a front door is supposed to stand out!


  • 11 years ago
    Thank you for the reply and I completely agree with you! The front door will be the current black accent, I mean the brick surrounding the door. I was afraid painting the brick different from the rest of the body of the house would stand out. I was looking at samples and the door would stand out from charcoal, the door is black...little red's accent.
  • 11 years ago

    I would suggest you paint the brick around the door white to go with the white trim. In fact, I would beef up the white trim to have larger areas of white to contrast from the red siding and the black shutters. I do like the roof and shutters, though. In time, perhaps you could have an ivory roof and ivory shutters. For now, I would suggest you add white-painted window boxes to give a light and airy appearance to the exterior.

  • 11 years ago
    I've known this house a long time, through many changes and the darker colors always anchored the house against the white stones and cement driveway. It also felt homier. The red has to stay for sentimental reasons and I really do like it. We live at the shore, the house is on the water, I'm afraid adding white would make the house look like the light house lol
  • 11 years ago

    I would not paint the brick around the door white, but rather the trim black. Paint the small vent at top of front of house same color as house so it won't stiand out. If you want an up to date look then no white window boxes. Get front door kick plate, in brushed silver as well as house numbers and light fixture.also add pathway lights, just enough for a little light. Below are examples of red with gray that you mentioned using just to show you what it looks like. Sorry my pics are so big, I coukdnt get them to shrink. : /

    Red with gray

    Red with blue gray

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    have you considered tan trim?

  • 11 years ago

    You need contrast between the brick and the siding. It would be easier to paint the brick because it's a smaller area. I think a medium or even a lighter gray would look good next to the red siding.

  • 11 years ago

    Your landscaping next to the foundation looks overgrown but not terrible. Try to fix it by pruning and cutting back before you rip everything out. It's worth a try.

  • 11 years ago
    Thank you, everyone for your feedback. Auntqueenie, my original plan was to paint the trim around the door black and to put shingles on the white board and continue the red adding house numbers up there. Simple and safe but neat, which I like. Painting the trim a darker white or tan has been considered but I'm afraid would look strange with the white windows. I was thinking (partner suggested) making the brick a contrasting grey could be interesting...out of my comfort zone I guess. The landscape is definitely overgrown, and when it is trimmed and better cared for has a beach cottage look that fits the house and we plan on keeping. The current situation has caused problems that taking it out should fix.