Software
Houzz Logo Print
raquellove

Something off?

11 years ago
I had an ottoman recovered for my new space. The colors are a little muted compared to the blue and gray in my room. Something feels off but I'd like to keep the ottoman. Any suggestions?

Comments (20)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Mixing patterns is not easy to begin with, but you have too many similar patterns in a very small space. See picture below to help - solids mixed with different sized and style of prints. Keep your ottoman for sure, but change your pillows and the rug is also causing a bit of pattern overload. If you can, just get a hemp rug to make the room feel calmer. In your 2nd pic, the ottoman and pillow are competing as well - just add a solid pillow. The furniture is really squeezed in and could be adding to the feeling of discord. Would suggest removing the blue ottoman, move the beige chair over to the left, so that the couch can be moved into the middle of the wall, the table on the right of the couch should be removed as well as the cushion on the black chair and the throw on ottoman. What you could do is take everything out and add slowly and be sure you need them..less is more. Hope this helps.

    South Boston Living Room · More Info

  • 11 years ago
    I'm assuming the tan geometric ottoman is the newly recovered one that you want to keep? I think you might have one too many ottomans... Have you tried the arrangement without the dark blue one? You could try that and also removing the rug and see how it looks. If it's better, then you'll know for sure its the rug that's throwing it off. Maybe the rug could be reused in another room?
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Hi Raquellove, great ottoman. I agree that the rug is the issue. It relates to the black leather chairs but nothing else. The rug not only introduces another colour but also pattern that clashes with the ottoman. You might also want to consider changing a few of the throw cushions on the chairs and couch as well.

  • 10 years ago
    Changed the rug... Better?
  • 10 years ago
    That rug is better! I think what still feels off is the furniture arrangement. First of all, as someone else mentioned, you have too many ottomans. I would move the dark blue one out. Also, with the way the sofa is pushed against the window and the yellow chair is angled, it looks like a room designed for TV watching but not for conversation. I would pull the sofa in , away from the window a bit, and turn the yellow chair so it is at right angles to the sofa.
  • 10 years ago
    Thank u for the response! The room is indeed meant for TV watching! The multiple ottomans are for comfort. I may move the yellow chair tho because it is more comfortable. I got the black chair because the room feels more open then, better feng shui. I'm very sense oriented.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Perhaps rearranging it? Just the couch, table and chair.

    Modern Art Loft · More Info
    Or couch, chair, ottoman


    Young entrepreneur's apartment · More Info



  • 10 years ago
    Oh, btw, when I referred to shifting the yellow chair, I meant the one next to the sofa. I see now that it may actually be off white, not yellow.nwas hard to tell on my screen
  • 10 years ago
    Are you saying not to angle the white chair and use the ottoman for both it and the couch? Interesting. I'll try that.
  • 10 years ago
    Like this?
  • 10 years ago
    I'm saying angle that chair that's next to the sofa (with the extra ottoman that I suggest you get rid of) so that it is at right angles to the sofa. But the suggestions I'm making are to make your room look better and work better as a living room and conversation area. If your goal is only good tv watching it then it's probably best as it is
  • 10 years ago
    We crossed posts! Yes I think that is better, but everything still fells a bit squashed to that side of the rom. I would play with the layout, even angling both chairs towards the sofa (on the other side of the ottoman) to see what works best.
    There are some super talented people here who can help with floor plans if you draw it out and give dimensions.
  • 10 years ago
    I'm getting short of breath!
  • 10 years ago
    I agree that the new rug is way better but the blue ottoman clutters up the space. Also, adding some space between the two side chairs and the sofa should balance out the room nicely.
  • 10 years ago

    I think you should flip the yellow and the white chair so that the bigger yellow chair is next to the wall. While you are at it move everything closer to the ceiling. The furniture looks mashed up against the wall and you seem to have plenty of room.

    Try the round wood table between the sofa and the new yellow chair area. Put the metal/glass ? end table on the other end of the sofa by the white chair. Put the little square table and the leather/metal chair, cannot think of the name of that style chair! next to each other in the other area.

    I would also consider moving the tripod floor light in with the leather/metal chair. A fun blown glass lamp for the round table in yellow or bright teal/turquoise with a velvet pillow to match in a solid. A simple pharmacy lamp for the other end of sofa behind the glass mini table. Combine all your small pictures, as they are all done in black and white and make a gallery over the white book/cubby shelf in the other room with the leather/metal chair. Put your graphic rug in there; the squares one.

    I also think you need some floor to ceiling curtains in both rooms. Possibly a subtle grey/cream or white pattern maybe stripes, color block, etc. The room needs softening up. Try for velvet pillows in bright teal and yellow on the sofa.

    The picture shown above art loft etc. shows a complete room that your room could easily emulate; you just are not finished with the room yet but have made some really nice choices!

    Lower your Prada print to five to seven inches above the yellow chair.

  • 10 years ago
    soosun2 You are toooo funny! My type of gal :)
  • 10 years ago

    I like the new rug. I'd shift your sofa to the left and put the floor lamp to the right of the sofa. Then add a table lamp/end table to the left.

  • 10 years ago
    Thank you everyone for your thoughtful suggestions! I'm going to live with this for awhile. I think it's warm, cozy and perfect for winter.
  • 10 years ago

    Why thank you! What a lovely compliment! Made my day. Honestly I get started and I just keep going!!!!!!!!