0

Is it worth the cost to install solid core doors in a house?

MRB Designs
September 25, 2015

I am debating if it is worth the cost to install Saddlebrook Solid Core doors in the entire house (with exception of the closet bi pass areas) rather than the standard hollow door. They decrease the amount of sound by 50% and feel heavier. Is it worth it?

• ninigret

if you hate the feeling of opening and closing cheap doors, then you should do the upgrade. (i hate eating with a cheap fork, so i understand.)

if 'worth it' means will i get my money back on it, it depends on the fit and finish of the rest of your house. but, probably not. make yourself happy.

Ladd Suydam Contracting, LLC

We always suggest to our clients to put their money into the details that you are hands on with everyday, and therefore interact with the most. We made the upgrade to our own doors when we rehabbed our historic home ten years ago. Well worth the money just having something feel solid day in and day out.

Dark Eclipse Studios

I prefer solid over hollow. I recently sold my condo in Brooklyn where I've installed solid wood doors few years prior. I cannot positively say if any of the prospective buyers noticed on their own but I did point it out to every person and knocked on wood. My reference to solid wood doors also indicated that even minor things in the apartment were replaced with premium upgrades.

Brickwood Builders, Inc.

Not sure what you are seeing as the cost difference. We're seeing roughly $50 per door (assuming split jamb) difference in SC vs HC - so that can mount up in a whole house. If you do it, do it because you want it. We haven't seen many clients that have any idea what the difference is and I doubt would pay for the difference in resale.

W. David Seidel, AIA - Architect

The best way to soundproof a door. Don't forget weatherstripping to keep the noise out (or in).

Cancork Floor Inc.

Only your ears and your pocket book can answer this for you. A busy house with a person with sensitive ears will know right away that doors closed = much quieter. A person with very little sensitivity to noise and a thin bank account will not appreciate the drain on expenses.

Cost to benefit ratio is tough. It is all about "nerves". To someone with sensitive ears these doors are a god-send. To the next person they are a waste of money. Only you and the people you share the space with can answer this. You know yourself. You know the compaints about noise in the past. You know the people you live with. Only a discussion between yourself and everyone together (try having the conversation through a hollow core door) can decide "value".

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us at 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun)