Software
Houzz Logo Print
a_diep_x3

Leather/faux leather couch question. Please help!

11 years ago

I purchased a couch from a consignment store and was told and guaranteed it was 100% real leather. After it was delivered to my home, I found the label and saw it was made of polyurethane/polyester. I paid $460 for the couch and $150 for delivery.

Can someone advise me if that means my couch is faux leather/is of poor quality? I feel like I am being cheated if I paid $610 for a used faux leather couch. Please help! I've attached a photo of the label and the couch itself.

Comments (13)

  • 11 years ago

    It looks to me like you bought yourself a very pretty bonded leather sofa. In other words, not leather at all. I made the mistake of purchasing a bonded leather sofa 4 years ago. The surface has peeled off in a number of places and looks just awful. When you pay a lot of money for a new item, you expect it to last more than 4 pathetic years. We have recently ordered a new sofa (in fabric this time). If I were you, I would go to the store and have them reimburse me, then have it picked up at their expense. It was their error, after all. I would also not shop there for the new sofa.

    a_diep_x3 thanked butlera
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    The tag is simply advising you of the INTERNAL MATERIALS of the sofa. There is absolutely no indication on that tag that the sofa isn't leather.

    If you bother to Google Chateau D'Ax you'll see that Bloomingdale sells their sofas and they have quite a large presence in Europe. I would bet that this company only uses leather for their sofas.

    Have you opened a seat cushion to see if the inside of the cushion face is suede?

    a_diep_x3 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 11 years ago

    Hi, I have googled Chateau D'Ax and have read mixed reviews. I know they sell real genuine leather sofas but also use faux leather materials as well. A lot of the reviewers have complained and said the quality is AWFUL and their couches only last 3-4 years until it starts to show wear. I'm just confused as to how I can figure out whether or not the exterior is real or faux leather and if I should expect the leather to peel in a few years.....

  • 11 years ago
    I interpret the tag to be referring to the foam and stuffing of the sofa. The maker on the tag, Chateau D'ax, appears to be a quality Italian furniture maker from Italy. Not an expert, just googled it.
    a_diep_x3 thanked MarleneM
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    the tag only refers to your cushion and back pillow fill and padding !

    per your tag, this sofa is 14 years old. from experience, i can say that bonded leather or even vinyl would NOT look this great after 14 years. the "fake" leather tends to peal off after a while with use.

    this looks like a very nice high quality sofa, made in italy, and you got it for a great price, even though it's used.


    xoxo eva @ MONARCH SOFAS

    CLICK HERE TO VIEW HUNDREDS OF CUSTOM SOFA AND SECTIONAL PROJECTS



    KENZIE STYLE ( aka NELLIE) - Chesterfield Sofa or Sectional · More Info


    a_diep_x3 thanked Monarch Sofas
  • 9 years ago

    Great looking sofa for 15 years old!

  • 7 years ago

    My Chateau d’Ax sleep leather sofa is over 20 years old and I still love the sofa. It still looks like new! But the mattress and springs have broken down so I unfortunately must buy a new sofa. I bought mine at Macy’s .

    Always buy at a reputable store so you can bring it back if needed.

  • 7 years ago

    Did they put the word “leather” on the receipt? That would be your proof that they told you it is leather. The label is always somewhere where you can’t see it, but it did have a label denying the salesperson’s false claim.
    Good luck.

  • 7 years ago

    Your label isn’t clear that there is any actual leather on the sofa.

  • 6 years ago

    I literally just bought the exact same couch and matching chair for $100 today. obviously that's insanely cheap BUT is it leather or not?? I have the exact same tag as pictured above only August 2001. the person who started this thread did u get any clarity if it was real leather?? cheers y'all !

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    as a custom sofa and custom sectional manufacturer, i can tell you that the tag tells you nothing about the upholstery fabric/leather used. it only shows the fill material of the frame padding and the seats, as required by law. do the seats or backs have a zipper? unzip them and see what the back of the leather looks like. it will show you if you have vinyl or leather. if it's vinyl, the backing will be a soft fabric like backing. you could post a picture and i can see if i can help

    xoxo eva @ MONARCHSOFAS.COM



    ** CLICK HERE TO VIEW HUNDREDS OF FINISHED CUSTOM SOFA AND CUSTOM SECTIONAL PROJECTS

  • 6 years ago

    I bought a leather sofa too from consignment store. It is Ethan Allen and has a sample of the leather sewn onto the deck platform. It was $600 too. Maybe you can contact the company with your info and they can confirm the model etc from their record.