Software
Houzz Logo Print
meharsharma

Need help with formal Living room!

11 years ago

In the process of furnishing this small formal living room. Want it to look pretty but need functionality too.Need help with curtains and rugs. ( paintings still to be hung, just displayed the plan of action in the picture!)Can't let go of the wall color or plantation shutters. Any advise will be a good help :)


Comments (25)

  • 11 years ago

    For the size of the rug, know that the front feet of all the seats needs to sit on it. I worry about the amount of space between the two chairs, that would need to be one big rug. Can the chairs sit closer together?

  • 11 years ago

    Thnx Charlee,If I bring chairs together, the space around the table gets crowded.Placing them oblique gives easy mobility. I can work around the decoration piece in between them.....I have to change it with something else anyways.

  • 11 years ago

    How much seating do you really need? Can you eliminate the chair with the dark arms and put a side table next to the other one? You could put your silver urn on the table and a mercury glass lamp, would be really pretty.

  • 11 years ago

    6-8 people

  • 11 years ago

    Ok, try this. Put the sofas facing each other, and the two chairs on the wall with the art. I realize the chairs don't match but you could put matching throw pillows or throws on both to unify them.

  • 11 years ago

    I will be replacing this chair ...any suggestion....if some bright ottomans can work?

    And when you think of the rug, what kind of rug do you suggest?


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I think I would consider more traditional styled art for the room instead of the current pieces sitting on the back of the love seat.

    meharsharma thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    Would your friends like sitting for an hour or two on an ottoman? I ask because I need a place to put my back, especially after just a few minutes.

    Your rug and curtains should coordinate. I think you're going to have to do some retail therapy (shopping) and compare the two together.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    You can go either way with the rug. Have an area rug centered in the room or have a large area rug where your furniture sits on partially or totally. I would take off the side panels and dress up the top part of your wall and windows with a soft valance.


    meharsharma thanked User
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    The picture below has some great ideas for your room (mirrors, floor lamp, pillows, rug). I wouldn't add drapery to keep the room feeling lighter. I would place one of the chairs in front of the coffee table facing the couch and then decide if whether to keep the other one. Remove the plant (too large) and place a floor lamp in that corner and move the ginger jar to this side of the couch nearest the door, to free up the space in front of window. The art over the couch feels heavy and consider starburst mirror(s). When selecting a rug make sure it is large enough for furniture's front feet to rest on. I would change the orange and select accessories that will compliment your new rug and incorporate patterns and new colored pillows. I would also reraccessorize your coffee table - if you look at photos on Houzz, you may get some inspirations. There is just tweeking needed for this very lovely room, to make it feel lighter and more modern.

    Horchow · More Info

    meharsharma thanked Maureen
  • 11 years ago

    Ha ha, good question? Generally, I keep ottoman for myself and my daughter....we are the ones hustling around....to entertain. What color of rug and curtains? Any good store/website?

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Thanks everyone this is awesome! Bernal : I liked the idea of top soft vallace! Maureen: And love mirrors as well...I have one above the other couch...not clear in the picture and a floor lamp on the side of other couch also! When you say turquoise ...you mean to say, to switch orange ?

  • 11 years ago

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    These are the other two walls!

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Lamp and mirror have to stayyyyyyy....a lot of sentiments attached :) to these two

  • 11 years ago

    I would switch the placement of the larger and smaller chairs. I like that they aren't the same. The mirror is wonderful and perhaps would be best switched with the wall art.

    The lamp is great but does not seem to blend with the traditional earthy feel of the room. Maybe it would work well in another part of the home? A more organic type of floor lamp would be great here.




  • 11 years ago

    Thanks Lucidos, for your time and comments , let me rearrange a bit as you guys suggested and will get back to you .

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Oops, meant orange but with your additional pictures and seeing more of your style, I think everything is working well, other than the floor lamp. If you don't only want the shutters (suggest not adding a valance - too formal and a bit old fashioned) you could use silk linen drapery in the same color as your couch and then look for a rug that had subtle colors - if you click/enlarge picture below, it's a tone on tone rug that feels traditional and modern.

    Traditional Living Room · More Info

    meharsharma thanked Maureen
  • 11 years ago

    Thanks Guys! I'll convince my husband for the lamp :)......yes , skipping drapes !!

  • 11 years ago

    I would remove those shutters! Natural light is so important in a home. Do you open the windows or look outside? Your home is beautiful....but the shutters should go

  • 11 years ago

    I am convinced :)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Shutters cost a ton of money - with no drapery and the shutters open wider, would you get more light..are you sure you want to remove? Then you will have to worry about the sun pouring in and bleaching your lovely floor and then having to add sheers.

  • 11 years ago

    Yes u r right! we paid a lot for these .... I think if I keep shutters, sheers would be a good idea! We do get quite a bit of light from the shutters

  • 11 years ago

    I like the idea of two sofas/loveseat facing each other. It will cover up some of the heavy shutters that are beautiful but do not need to be on full display. The valance could add softness and sound absortion to the room but I would do them in a linen that is similar to the wall color.

    Chairs at end sounds like a good idea too. If you do this new arrangement you might consider a rectangular narrow glass and metal cocktail table so you have walking room and it will allow the rug to be more a part of the room.

    Here is a room with glass cocktail table and ends tables. I include this as it has a busy ceiling and a busy window that can stand in for your eye catching shutters. Nice effect. Rug bigger than furniture, clear glass lamps 'disappear'. Candles reappear in room on mantle and cocktail table, scones suggest more candles. A design theme here. Small amounts of geometric pattern in window seat and on side chairs.

    Traditional Living Room · More Info

    meharsharma thanked Susan Davis