Software
Houzz Logo Print
meharsharma

Need help with Family Room

11 years ago

Need help accessorizing this big family room! Furniture stays, can't get paint redone :( ...Basically accessories needed , and ways to increase functionality. We want this room to be contemporary and and little artistic.. Fire place is crying for help!!! Any


Budget friendly ideas???

Any help and suggestions !!!

Comments (20)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I would probably start with a tall vertical piece of art over the fireplace. Pulling from the color in your art, add a rug and pillows. Will this room house a TV? Replace ottoman with coffee table. Do you need ALL of your seating? This is where it could get pricey. All of your pieces are a bit matchy matchy (all cream)...if the budget allows, I would nix the love seat and replace the two white chairs with different chairs placing an end table between them. They could be on the right side of the fireplace (together). Maybe add a slim sofa table behind the long couch.

    meharsharma thanked rcarterworld
  • 11 years ago

    I think I would also add a coffee table and pull the cream colored sectional next to the couch in a different arrangement. Also, if you're not going to incorporate the red from the red lamp, I would change the lamp cover to a color you will be using. Some pattern pillows might be nice too. You have a lot of bold colors on their own. Great area above the fireplace if you're not planning to hang a tv there I would suggest a framed mirror in the same color as the cream or blue shades you will be adding. Love the windows! I would want it to be the focal point if you're not doing the tv. I would get rid of the long curtains. So many great options here

    meharsharma thanked Tan Perez
  • 11 years ago

    Thnx Guys, yes coffee table is on the list.....I already have many mirrors in the house, I would like something else on the fireplace......where to get good big paintings?.....and curtains are going out too...actually we just moved in...I can change the bold colors too that is a temporary arrangement...any suggestions on colors.....I agree the seating color is too matchy matchy ...but not sure can do much with that...will have to manipulate with the rug and pillows..

  • 11 years ago

    Try a different layout. Put the loveseat parallel to the window with the two chairs opposite and sitting square. Similar to the photo below, with the sofa parallel to the fireplace. Seating needs to be situated for conversation, the chair beside the fireplace makes it feel like a timeout/naughty chair and not part of the party. The fainting/lounge chair might be best in a bedroom.

    The matching furniture will work. Add a large coffee table and interesting round sidetables similar to the 2nd and 3rd photo. A large area rug would help quiet the acoustics in a large space. Big 24 inch square pillows, remove the small pillows.

    Contemporary Intracoastal Home · More Info

    Quinta Villa · More Info

    Foam · More Info

    meharsharma thanked Bette P
  • 11 years ago

    Start with a large piece of art above the fireplace and build on that. The art below is from Horchow.

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks! That's helpful.And yes we do need that much seating when we have family gatherings. Have looked around in local stores , couldn't find a big enough painting, any suggestions on any online websites. This wall is 20" .

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks, I will check Horchow!

  • 11 years ago

    I meant 20' ( feet) tall

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    The art does not have to cover the entire 20 feet of the wall. I would actual advise against that.

    meharsharma thanked rcarterworld
  • 11 years ago

    The art from Horchow is 60"x40". Seems big enough to me but you could tape the dimensions with painters tape just to be certain.

    meharsharma thanked er612
  • 11 years ago

    agreed ,

  • 11 years ago

    I like the two blue from Horchow, can go one above the other! ......love the blues

  • 11 years ago

    I like the single piece better but two can work too. I just noticed you have curtains. Are they staying? If so, please post a close-up of the fabric.

    I would move the two blue vases to the shelves right of the fireplace.

  • 11 years ago

    I would also reconfigure the furniture a bit….

    meharsharma thanked er612
  • 11 years ago

    Oh I loved ur feedback ! This is awesome. And the arrangement works great. Actually thanks all, let me rearrange , if I opt for blue rug , what kind/color of coffee table should I go for?

  • 11 years ago

    Curtains are not staying? We have a pool that you can see from the window, That's why am more inclined towards blue. What accessories can be added? And in which color?

  • 11 years ago

    After the focal art, I'd choose a rug. Below are some options from Dash & Albert. I used a 9x12' rug in my floor plans but it seemed a bit small on paper. These are all available in 10x14'...

  • 11 years ago

    I found another rug that happens to be on sale...

    http://www.companyc.com/product/spectrum.do?defaultSku=18690&sortby=ourPicksAscend

    If you're still interested in the single art above the fireplace, this rug would look great with it and I would keep your current pillows and some navy ones.

    http://dashandalbert.annieselke.com/Rugs/Scroll-Platinum-Wool-Micro-Hooked-Rug/p/RDA160