Software
Houzz Logo Print
cme44

Need HELP picking paint sheen!

11 years ago

New Construction, I have three floors, house faces due north, no windows on the west side, most of the windows on on the south side. The back (south) is mature woods right up to within 40 - 50 feet of the house. Basement is walkout to the woods, top floor looks out near the tops of the trees.

The windows, doors and their trim are medium stained wood, as is the vaulted ceiling in the sunroom off the living area (south windows). The wood will have a satin urethane finish over the stain.

My dilemma is that I haven't been able to find a discussion about the six sheens I now find at the paint store. Flat, Matte, Eggshell, Satin/Pearl, Semi-Gloss, Gloss. I am inclined to paint the baseboards and crown molding in semi-gloss and the walls in eggshell for durability. Everyone says ceilings absolutely must be flat. Can someone tell me why not matte? I ask because several of my rooms have ceilings the same color as walls in another room. I thought it would be easier if the painters could use the same paint everywhere (or do they need a special paint for the ceiling?).

With the amount of sunlight coming in, what do you recommend? Thanks!

Comments (2)