Software
Houzz Logo Print
jenni5392

There is something about my livingroom that I don't love...

11 years ago
I just moved into a bigger place a few weeks ago. I got a new and bigger couch. Maybe too big...but it's comfy and we love it. I'm not sure if I don't like the pillows because of the color of the couch or maybe it's the rug? I can't figure out what's bothering me. I've tried rearranging them every which way. I hate the couch being in the middle of the room but I don't think I have any other option.

Comments (12)

  • 11 years ago

    I don't think your sofa is too big. It's a normal sized sectional, with equal portions on each side. Also, I think the placement of it is fine. Speaking from personal preference, I like the last photo, where you've minimized the yellow accents. Not that I don't like yellow and grey, but that just seemed a bit busy. The neutral palette feels a bit more serene, and I like that there are fewer cushions. Also, is it a case of the carpet being almost, but not quite, the color of the sofa? You might consider a lighter, creamier carpet, to visually open up the space more. That said, the carpet looks new and it's on trend, so don't worry too much about it.

  • 11 years ago

    Like this one maybe?

  • 11 years ago

    Possibly find another space for the water.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I strongly agree that the last picture, with fewer cushions and the soft creamy yellow, is really attractive. I realise the water wouldn't be there if there was another easy place to put it, but it would make a world of difference to move it out of sight somewhere and put art on that side wall instead. Pse click to see the impression.

    Art adapted from http://fineartamerica.com/products/abbot-kinney-sunset-anna-bain-acrylic-print.html

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    The monochromatic couch/ottoman/rug combination needs some life and dimension to contrast the look. Find ways to include additional lighting sources and a few soft touches, such as dark green foliage, a bright brass lamp or chandelier.

  • 11 years ago

    Got the angle of the pic all wrong, didn't I? Sorreeee.

  • 11 years ago

    Sofa and placement are fine - would it be possible to put a little accent screen partially around the water container and then add a bit of art to go along with that. Another thought is to introduce a light teal blue to the cushions which has a softening effect, too.


  • 11 years ago
    There isn't another plug for the water cooler unfortunately but I will put some art there eventually. My brother takes some very nice shots and is in the process of turning a few into canvases for me. I'm more concern about my rug, throw pillow, blanket situation currently. I do like the idea of doing a lighter carpet. There isn't a ceiling light in the room. I put up the one that is there and that's why the lamps and end tables are necessary. I am doing real and yellow in the kitchen. I don't know if I want to introduce real in the livingroom too.
  • 11 years ago
    Teal* apparently autocorrect doesn't like that word
  • 11 years ago

    the color palette is too wide for some but way too narrow for me. you either like a lot of grey or you need to add more colors.

    choose your pillows wisely so people dont need to move herds of them in order to sit. really, the most anyone would need is one for the small of their back if they have short legs. the rest are extraneous, so make the ones you need count.

    add in chairs so more than 2 people can sit comfortably, too.

  • 11 years ago

    I saw the pictures you posted in the other thread. It's actually a nice bright room. I like the creamy rugs. Also like the ideas for more artwork.