Software
Houzz Logo Print
ctmomoftwins

Do you think I can mount a TV on this fireplace?

10 years ago

I just signed the purchase contract on a house and I have a few design dilemmas which I'll post separately when my twins go to sleep. Here is the latest:

Do you think I can mount a TV on that fireplace below? I'm not sure if it's possible given that there is brick all over. I would like to paint the bookcases in a brighter white for greater impact. I also want to whitewash the brick a bit and add a full fireplace mantle with a new gas insert with remote control. I know some prefer real wood burning fireplaces but I prefer to keep the smoke out of my house. An outdoor fire pit would be cool though (that's in phase 5 or 6 of my renovation plans - already saw an example of what I want).

Anyway, back to the TV. Can it be mounted over the fireplace? I really hope I can but I do have an alternative location. There is a wall between the large window and sliding door to the right of the fireplace wall. I can always mount the TV on that wall and buy a media console. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

P.S. That is the seller's furniture. Not my taste at all.

Comments (34)

  • 10 years ago
    Agreed. Also it's not the right height for viewing.
  • 10 years ago

    Tacky is rather harsh - no? Design is a matter of personal taste. But you are correct as the current mantel is rather high. It should be lowered if we decide to put the TV in that spot.

    Still deciding - also depends on the cost. Does not look like an easy nor inexpensive project...

  • 10 years ago
    My necks just aches at the thought of a TV placed so high. I'd rather see it opposite the current sofa. As far as design, yes, most design purists would avoid a TV at all costs over a FP. Maybe because flat TV's are generally new to the design scene. However many people do it for lots of reasons and are very happy with their spaces. In the end, you can listen to advice but you must do what is best for you and yours.
  • 10 years ago

    True! Thank you! I have a lot of design choices so even if I don't always like the advice, it is another option that I had not considered! It's all about the options... Thanks!

  • 10 years ago

    Nope. Firstly, there are codes regulating how far up you can hang them, and it would require you hang it too high for comfortable viewing.


    Second, it would really detract from the fireplace area and I do agree that in this case, would be tacky.

  • 10 years ago

    I still think tacky is a mean word. But I did ask for opinions. Thanks so much as I understand there are decorating rules. Hence my question.

    So where can I find a nice media cabinet? I'm at a loss. My usual stores have nothing I like. Here is my current furniture which I will take to the new house. My style is a bit more transitional.

    I have this end table in my current living room but will put in the family room in the new house. Love the wood tone.

  • 10 years ago
    Start hunting for consignment buffets or a hutch you can paint and repurpose!
  • 10 years ago

    Still debating the "rules" as all these beautiful homes on houzz have the TV over the fireplace. But the brick could ruin my plans if putting the TV over the fireplace proves to be too costly.

    If I do get a media cabinet, I was thinking more like this...from Ethan Allen. Simple and elegant. Right color. Still debating.

    I was originally going to put a long leather bench on that wall with the palm print that's in my current living room (see below).


  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I don't know your taste in furnishings so its hard to advise with much confidence but I will say...the proportion of the TV is different than the art that is currently there. An armoire in your style would be more appropriate where the existing unit is located. A low entertainment base not housing the TV will only will make the TV look dominant and awkward to the rest of the room. Painting the brick is a nice touch ...makes the focal back wall less visually busy. Hope that helps.

  • 10 years ago

    I'm referring to building codes, here, not decorating rules. There are actual building codes that govern how far away from the firebox you can hang your TV. It's different for gas and wood. Please check your local codes before you put any money into it.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I really hate to tv's over a fireplace. Why not wall mount the tv where the armoire is now and get a media cabinet to go underneath? The fireplace needs a great piece of art to make that the focal point in your room.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Hooker Furniture has some good looking entertainment consoles at reasonable prices.
  • 10 years ago
    Look into Ballard designs on the web. I plan on getting the Vetrina media console. It's made in Italy and is real wood and has excellent reviews.
  • 10 years ago
    I like that vetrina media cabinet in walnut. Great suggestion. Thanks.
  • 10 years ago

    Hi,

    I'm not a decorator, but my sister is. I have a great room with very high ceilings and a fireplace flanked by builtins. We have one wall in that room that the tv could go on, but she said it would make 2 focal points in the room. Her suggestion was to go practical, so Rules be damned, we mounted the tv over the fireplace, and I couldn't be happier with the results. Now, is it tacky? Maybe to some, but at least the room isn't confusing. Now the furniture can center around the intended focal point.

  • 10 years ago
    Can you share a pic of your space? Thanks.
  • 10 years ago

    I agree. Don't have the TV over the fireplace.

    This is my media cabinet. It's the Ming Media Cabinet from Ethan Allen. Not sure if it's your taste but it is my favorite piece of furniture in my entire house so I thought I'd share. It comes in a couple of different colors.

    Ming Media Cabinet

  • 10 years ago
    I love Ethan Allen! Nice piece. The color makes it!!!
  • 10 years ago

    love the cabinet you picked from Ethan Allan -- do that. Leave the fireplace the fireplace -- it's a great focal point. (also too high for tv viewing).


  • 10 years ago
    I'm not a fan of tvs over fireplaces either and I like the advice of putting the tv where the armoire is now, but maybe another option is to redo the cabinetry to the right of the fireplace and build it in there? Could do with cabinetry to hide tv when not in use if that is important to you.
  • 10 years ago

    ctmomoftwins,

    Haven't quite figured out how to add photos here. But I need to , as I have many decorating delimas of my own.

  • 10 years ago
    One more thing to think about especially if mounting over fireplace is placement of cable box, dvr, and whatever other things you might usually hook up to tv (Xbox, etc). In pictures it always shows a nice clean installation, but in reality all those things need homes.
  • 10 years ago

    When preparing to move into my newly built home....everyone and I mean everyone was expecting me to put my tv over the fireplace.....I personally didn't want to put it over the fireplace and the only other option I had was the exact opposite wall. I didn't want to do it for various reasons - tv would be to high - it would compete with the fireplace - I want to sit next to the fireplace - and everyone kept telling me I would be sorry if I didn't put the tv above the fireplace. I didn't put the tv over the fireplace and I am so happy I didn't. I have a seating arrangement at the fireplace and another in front of the tv. I am very happy with my choice - because it was my choice. If you want your tv over the fireplace, do it because you want to. It is a personal design choice. people can give advice but these people telling you it is tacky - well they are just plain rude and a bit tacky themselves~

  • 10 years ago
    Thank you so much for posting. I completely agree. There are rules for everything but in the end, it is a personal choice!
  • 10 years ago

    I agree with foreverfarm11, do what you feel is right. With that being said, I thought I'd want this look in my bedroom, so I put up a shelf and put the TV on it and HATED IT. I was so glad that I did not go through more expense. I told this to a friend, but she went ahead and put her TV above the fireplace in her bedroom, and she HATED IT.

    They are saying that cornices are dated. This week, I was going crazy trying to decide on another window treatment for my kitchen window, even though I wanted a cornice. I've decided to do a cornice, because this is what I like and want...Good Luck.

  • 8 years ago

    I read a review today on houzz and today is the second Monday in April of 2018. The review I read started much like the following:

    "So there are two rooms I badly need to furnish." What struck me is not that this person soon will be spending a ton of money. No rather I was immediately struck by the way beginning a sentence with "so" is over. So, so very over. In any event I believe the use of "so" in that manner was a forced trend more than anything organic in nature, and as such I am not unhappy to see it mostly gone from the houzz website. Good riddance, I say.

    So allow me to kick off a new discussion...Please know that I'm teasing all of you wonderful, talented houzzers out there. Let's come to the table and let the opinions fly.

  • 8 years ago
    Not sure why you posted here. But here is what my family room looks like now. I put the tv over the fireplace and love it!!!
  • 8 years ago
    Over the fireplace would have a TV FAR TOO HIGH for comfortable viewing.
  • 8 years ago

    It looks great, you got the right size tv and it works really well!

  • 8 years ago

    This post is over 2 years old!

  • 8 years ago

    it is? The OP posted 15 minutes ago.

  • 8 years ago

    The OP is responding to Madeline Scrogin...see where she is asking Madeline why she is posting on this thread.

  • 8 years ago

    the reason aside, she just posted the photo of how she ended up mounting the tv and I complimented her choice.