Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunjaroen_tuu

Need advice for this livingroom

Bunjaroen Tuu
8 years ago
i have been trying to figure out what to do with this space. anyone has good idea?

Comments (129)

• Alla
    8 years ago

Groveraxle: do you have an app that puts the room together or is it a program on your computer? I would love to see different looks for my living room as well. Please advice

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

alchonka2000, I use Photoshop Elements.

• Bunjaroen Tuu
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    i found out that this bookcase can be adjustable so i tried moving things around a little. what do u guys think? is this better?
  • Mary Dillon
    8 years ago

Wow, where'd that come from?? I think it works pretty well there!

• Bunjaroen Tuu
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    this bookcase my husband has a long time ago. he set up the other way (not this low) and he told me it could set this low so i have the idea this morning and moved around to see if it works :) thank you
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

Bunjaroen, that bookcase is perfect! I would put the TV on it off center, then balance it with art or perhaps a sculpture. I can't do it now, but I'll check back later today and give you a visual.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

Here's one with the TV on the left, and art and vases on the right:

San Marino Island House · More Info

• Diane Land
    8 years ago

Great idea!

• PRO
    Flooret
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Changing the flooring will dramatically change the feel of the space. One option that is very durable and waterproof you might consider is vinyl plank. It's great if you have kids or pets. From the Modin collection:

Barin Vinyl Plank · More Info

Wychwood Vinyl Plank · More Info

Stavern Vinyl Plank · More Info

• Mary Dillon
    8 years ago

Or keep working on the other side the way you had it earlier with the two bookcases and TV, but leave a passageway between the sofa/TV arrangement and the new low bookcase under the big artwork. That wd leave a decent passageway to the other doors at the end of the room near the picture window. Do hang that enormous canvas a few inches above the new low bookcase.

Bunjaroen Tuu thanked Mary Dillon
  • Mary Dillon
    8 years ago

And try a pair of lamps on either end of the new bookcase -- again, you're going to need a few lamps, there's no getting around that, you've got an outlet there for the purpose, and after that if you will add a pair on the far sides of the bookcases behind the sofas, you'll be done with lighting.

Bunjaroen Tuu thanked Mary Dillon
  • leelee
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Can you put the sofa against the large wall? Then add big picture above. That would really open up the room. Sofa seems in an odd place in a straight line with the front door and it's back to the kitchen(?).

Bunjaroen Tuu thanked leelee
  • Bunjaroen Tuu
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    i agree the rug is not really matching with this bookcase
  • PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    8 years ago
    I would start with rug first as the is the HARDEST item to go and find one to fit into a space already done. THEN DO PAINT. TEAL is best as an accent color versus all over your walls. maybe teal on the bookcase wall and a sandy beige elsewhere. Go to Benjamin Moore's website - explore color. you can upload photos of your room and play with color ides there first before buying any sample pints. also BM is great when you choose. color they will offer you several suggestions of paint colors to coordinate to use as trim, ceiling, accent wall etc.

The 3 plates - once done with other steps first - would not put above TV. don't put anything above TV - would only highlight something you ought to calm down. BUT how about - hang the 3 in a triangular sort of arrangement to the right of the bookcase - in that "empty" space. Add a torichere lamp in corner or tall plant and the wall will be in balance relative to the book cases
  • amhbrannan
    8 years ago
    Take some risks with the area rug. You can afford to be more bold with some color to contrast the amount of neutral wall color and furniture. I think the couches in "L" formation would work well, especially if you could add a few chairs or ottomans in facing couches in front of patio area. allowing more light in and vantage points. Perhaps some plants on or next to wall shelf will also help bring some color and make the room feel more inviting. I think the color palette is too neutral for such a large space. Adding color and some pattern / art will pull the room together and make it shine!
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    just saw the photo of the low bookcase - LOVE IT - NExt is rug!
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    yes that rug is totally blah - its a blah gray carpet it's going on so it ought to be a lovely, dynamic it not overpowering focal point
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    she likes teal / blues - maybe something like this? not sure how modern versus transitional you like things but have a look on this site and see if you don't see something that appeals to you
    Bunjaroen Tuu thanked Business_Name_Placeholder
  • Bunjaroen Tuu
    Original Author
    8 years ago

i am still looking for rugs, i dont know which color. i think right now the room look very pale

• Bunjaroen Tuu
    Original Author
    8 years ago

i do like teal, but i am trying to think when if the rug is that color, it make the room darker. the sofa color is taupe which very dark itself. i am thinking maybe kind of yellow rug with matching pillow and curtain. I dont know though it is just a thought

• PRO
    8 years ago
    personally I love this one - Jaipur is a good quality brand too - I found it by searching rugs 5x8 turquoise
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    NO yellow!
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    yellow at best is an accent color and not good on floors - gets old looking fast. plus, are you Asian? my kids are - so yellow does no justice to skin color - where as the pink tones do - keep in mind rooms frame usuch like cloths do so we want what enhances our beauty
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    that last rug idea isn't dark plus it has gray so to connect to sofas. it also seems to reflect light which would help.
  • Bunjaroen Tuu
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    that picture i got from roomtogo.
  • Bunjaroen Tuu
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    i see so then if i put that color of rug, you think i can put grey curtain? because i already have ones
  • Bunjaroen Tuu
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    i like that last rug :)
  • PRO
    8 years ago

Yes you can do gray curtains.... Can you post a photo of them? What about... a soft seafoam green on the walls - not that it looks like "tinted white" but actually seafoam... then add yellow in with pillows on the sofas - but I still would do more of a mustard yellos - or golden yellow? I like that last area rug too... https://www.houzz.com/products/jaipur-maroc-aarya-light-turquoise-white-mr01-5x8-area-rug-prvw-vr~27867786

See the photo where it is shown with the gray sofa and loveseat!! :-)

• PRO
    8 years ago

Opps - wrong link - - but now there are TWO ideas :) Here's the correct one:
    https://www.houzz.com/products/jaipur-seattle-seaside-blue-medium-gray-ct35-5x8-area-rug-prvw-vr~27860367

• PRO
    8 years ago

I put up the gray accent wall so you could see against the color - how your furniture would look. This is about as deep a color I would go - so might look at the chip strip and pick one in the same range but lighter - IF you are worried about darkness.

A trick I do is paint the ceiling in a warm white or ivory - BUT I paint it using a high gloss finish - - that way it subtly will reflect all the natural light coming into the room - it's a good trick to use. Walls I always do in a satin finish - easy to clean, especially with kids

Williamsburg Wythe Blue
    CW-590

WALL

Slate
    CW-700

ACCENT WALL

Mascarpone
    AF-20

• Bunjaroen Tuu
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    looks very nice. for painting i will have to wait till back from Thailand trip. i will keep ur advice. thank you very much :)
  • PRO
    8 years ago

I tried playing around with yellow/ golden rod colors on the walls.... and even though growing up I had a yellow bedroom - it just doesn't jive with me. I find it too" I don't know".... so if you really love yellow - - maybe I'm not the best one to offer a suggestion I once did a yellow living room - I had yellow/whie sofa and chair with great garden outside... kep it for 2 weeks and change it to chartruse - LOVED it... so in that vein I'll post a photo - I'm sure there are better shades of chartruse out there than this - but it's just to give a suggestion

• PRO
    8 years ago

I used to live in Singapore - bought a bunch of textiles that I made into pillows. so keep that in mind when you go back home - - what a lovely way to bring your homeland / heritage into your current home. I went to flee markets and older shops to by the textiles.... I think that would be FUN to do - - have an idea of the direction color wise you want to go in and look for textiles.

• PRO
    8 years ago
    one last comment, if you like the seafoam idea - think about adding Magenta as the accent color instead of yellow - this is a corner of my bathroom. also can look to add a deeper teal touch of color some where - painted chest of drawers - lamp base - that sort of thing. have fun on your trio.
  • Bunjaroen Tuu
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    ok thank you. :)
  • Mary Dillon
    8 years ago

For myself I really use and enjoy the yellows, and I know yellow with gray is trendy right now, but to my eye, the combination is just plain distressing!!! See what you can find on your trip, maybe it will suggest another color choice...

• Bunjaroen Tuu
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    ok thank you :) i appreciate all the advice. you guys really help me. ;)
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

You can go very bold in such an open room.

• PRO
    8 years ago
    ^^^^^^ That's why I suggested the soft seafoam it works with gray in a complnetary fashion. there is a science to color combos and yellow is extremely powerful so when paired with other colors at most you need is a combo of 1/4 yellow to 3/4 the other color. I Hs case yellow on the walls would overwhelm the gray furniture - I too find that combo harsh. but the reverse gray walls with touches of yellow upholstery - like maybe 1 chair - could work. to me - its just best to skip it :-) hahaha
  • Mary Dillon
    8 years ago

Agree with Grover above about bold patterns. However, what you've got here so far is so extremely neutral that, if serenity is what you're going for, even small bits of color or pattern or texture will go a long way in this room. And smaller items such as cushions, lamps, little decorative items, and for that matter even wall colors, are easily and inexpensively changed, so that you can keep larger and more expensive items such as furniture and rugs neutral and still be able to change your look without a huge investment. You are in a position to take advantage of this fact.

In your travels and wherever else you go, I suggest you take in your wallet a list of items you would like to add, with maximum, minimum, and ideal measurements, plus color swatches of what you already have and intend to keep using. If swatches aren't readily available, you can go to any decent paint store and get paint chips, compare with what you have, and pick the ones that are closest, to carry with you.

If you have small children who will be using this room a lot, a rug in the most intensively used area will help protect the carpet underneath, and many people in that situation would buy a less expensive rug, with a good pad!

Bon voyage!

• rcarterworld
    8 years ago

Glad that you replaced the bookshelves

• Bunjaroen Tuu
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    it moved it a little today coz my husband said to dark. and i am planing on putting the tv on the wall just i cant do that by myself. (please ignaor my son pink things lol) thank you all for advice :) i am still looking for rug :)
  • Bunjaroen Tuu
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    i have these photos i took long time ago but have no chance to put up. should they be hung in this room?
  • Bunjaroen Tuu
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    what do you guys think about this rug?
  • PRO
    Soothing Company
    8 years ago

You could add a wall mounted water feature....

https://www.soothingwalls.com/wall-fountains.html

Olympus Falls Wall Fountain · More Info

Deep Creek Falls Marble Wall Fountain · More Info

Teton Falls Wall Fountain · More Info

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

This rug will go well with your gray curtains and teal and olive pillows and accessories will give the room some punch. You could use your photos like I show below, but I'd change the green frames to black.

• Bunjaroen Tuu
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    wow that looks very good. i think i will go ahead and order this rug. thank you :) but for the vase i will prabably put that off of now till my son is older.
  • petuniablossom
    8 years ago
    Floating both sofas, the way they are in your last photo, greatly interferes with the flow through your living room, both from the front door and from the opposite end of the room. This particular photograph really illustrates this! Just because some people shove all their furniture against the wall on the perimeter of their rooms, doesn't mean you can't ever use a wall. While I really like the long, low shelf you've added to the room, I think it should be located on the partition wall where the large painting used to be. Put the tv on that wall too. Place the longest sofa against the largest wall with the love seat at a right to it. Then try putting the tall white bookshelves in the corner closest to the entryway. If you put one on each wall with the corners touching, they just might look like they are built-ins. Hang the large painting over the sofa. Since you've chosen the tv to be the focal point of the room, paint the partition wall a highlight color which your family enjoys. The easiest way to choose a color is to think about the color you enjoy wearing. Or, find a color in a pillow, piece of art, or rug. It doesn't have to be an exact match. Try to really think about what YOU like, not what someone else likes or what is trending right now.
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

Yes, go with something unbreakable there; just make sure it's not too small:

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida