Software
Houzz Logo Print
cski13

Looking for a new plan...

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

We've had to abandon our house plan (variation of Tres le fleur) due to costs (estimates came in nearing $1M and we're aiming for $650-800k; lot was purchased a year ago for $190).

We have a 1.15 acre lot w/water view (lake and wetlands area) to the North in Eastern Iowa and are looking for a house plan that will take advantage of our view of the lake, pelicans, swans and bald eagles that frequent the area. By covenants we have to have 2000 sqft above grade for a single level or 3300 sq ft if 2-story. Given our location we'll need a basement (will finish it now if we go w/a single story, later if we go w/2-story).

It's just my husband and I, but we do a lot of entertaining. Also, our adult daughters and their young (growing) families live a couple of hours away and spend long weekends and holidays with us a couple of times a year.

Welcome all thoughts, ideas, links and other suggestions (and thanks in advance for your consideration and assistance).

PS -- Our "subdivision" will consist of 8 lots total. Only one other house has started construction, immediately to the right (West) of ours and it is a very (VERY) modern design, rather unique to the area in what amounts to a rural small town (pop 8000). I have rather traditional taste and have some concern about the juxtaposition of two radically different styles in such close proximity. I have even begun to look at prairie style architecture styles as opposed to the steeper rooflines found on the capes and Georgian homes (Tres le fleur was a compromise with DH who wanted "a ranch" but is now rethinking that position based on the e$timate$ we received.) Archival Design's Parsall plan had caught my eye, but would have to be enlarged, flipped and garage straightened -- and then there is the neighbor's house to consider....

Comments (34)

  • 10 years ago

    I have posted this same house Plan so many times people probably think I get paid for it but this plan lives beautifully.

    Ashby by Mascord. It's on houseplans.com I think.

    We almost built it. I mean, came really close. We could noy find a suitable lot in budget. You can't tell by the floor plan really but the main living area has an awesome vault with a covered back patio that takes advantage of rear views. Also from the master. There is a bonus we were going to turn into a guest suite by adding a full bath upstairs. I love that it's almost ADA compliant as drawn. A few minor changes make the entire thing WC accessible for aging in place.

    Guests are on the other side of main area for privacy from master.

    You can do beams in great room for more character although I love the wood clad ceiling just as much.

    The builder of the one shown in the pictures stretched the center a bit wider so it's more like 3300 above grade. The stairs to the bonus are in the mud room but you can drop basement stairs in as well or instead.

    CSKI 13 thanked Rachel (Zone 7A + wind)
  • CSKI 13 thanked Rachel (Zone 7A + wind)
  • 10 years ago

    For that kind of money why not hire a real architect and go through the design process with him or her and get more of what you want, and even some things you didn't even know you wanted?

  • 10 years ago

    I was just going to write the exact same thing jn3344. When you purchase a plan online you're fitting yourselves to the plan vs when using an architect, he/she is fitting the plans to you.

  • 10 years ago
    Jn3344 -- we have worked w/two different local architects and have more than $8,000 invested in two different sets of lovely house plans. Unfortunately, both times we have ended up with houses that will cost over $1M to build and while the bank says we can handle that size mortgage, it will require an adjustment to lifestyle we are not interested in making at this stage of our lives.

    Appreciate the suggestion, however, but we've already been down that path, twice.
  • 10 years ago
    Mama Rachel, thanks for the suggestion.
  • 10 years ago

    Two sets of plans for 8k? From actual architects? That is cheap.

    Anyway, around here, (Seattle area) the professional code is that the architect presents you with plans that can actually be built for your budget (within about 10% I think) and they are supposed to work with you to modify the plans if estimates come back high.

    We paid for estimating along the way, so we had a fair idea at the end what it was going to cost to build.

    Good luck!

  • 10 years ago
    Working from my iPad keyboard and there is a digit missing -- $18k not 8. My uncle is an architect on the west coast, but DH wanted to use someone local and we're running out of options at this point.

    Not excited about undertaking this emotional roller coaster for a 3rd time, but hoping it will be "the charm."
  • 10 years ago

    Use your Uncle. Why would you want to go to someone else when you have a pro in the family? So now instead of a local architect you want to find some pre-made plans?

    At least with your Uncle he'd be listening to your wants and needs vs a stock plan.

    Also, why not post the plan you liked the best? Maybe we here can help you to see where you can cut and still have it work for you.

  • 10 years ago

    Mama Rachel, funny ting about the interior photos from your link above: look at the living room sofa and the chair next to it. Right next to it. Shoved up right next to it. What were they thinking?

  • 10 years ago

    That's just the photo angle. I've sat in that chair. It's got at least 30" of walkway between it and the sofa. At least. and there is about 6' behind it to that big door. This house lives beautifully. That room is really large. The flow is amazing. The builder has had people fly in from all over the country that are looking to build a variation of the plan (there area few drawn and linked somewhere with different elevations and slightly different interior layouts).

    Honestly, we aren't even done building our home and I kind-of regret not just picking a different lot and doing this one. I like it that much. I mean, our house is great for now but it's not a forever home and I could see that house being a forever home very easily. We needed 4 bedrooms for now and my DH works from home and there really wasn't any logical way to do that except closing in the dining area and I think that would spoil the feel of the interior.

  • 10 years ago

    Right next to it. Shoved up right next to it. What were they thinking?

    LOL.

  • 10 years ago

    Actually Mama if you look at the other photos the chair is shoved up against the sofa. There isn't a lot of room between them. I think what they did was move it over so you could see the french doors but LOL

  • 10 years ago

    Oh, I see it now. The two chairs are usually closure together. Odd that they moved it over for the picture. I do like the breakfast nook with the mini-office along the wall, and the bar they put in to separate from the LR. That would be MY little office, near the action, room to spread out and put things away at mealtime, great view.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    What did you like in those abandoned plans? Was there a feature or two you want to keep in your home? Do you think you can take those ideas and make something more affordable?

    In Iowa, I would imagine that you could build a very nice home for well under 3/4 of million dollars. What's driving up your costs? Is it square footage? Materials? Labor intensive details?

    Have you read Sarah Susanka's books? The Not So Big House books? She talks about the triangle that links budget, square footage and details. When budget is fixed, you will always have to decide between the extra square footage...or whether you want nicer materials and more expensive details in your home. Do you want built-ins? Porches? Higher ceilings? Woodwork? Carved wood staircase? Moldings and trim? More expensive finishes?

    You know what you like and you know what you can afford. And that $18,000 is only wasted, if you don't take those plans and figure out what will work and why you like it. Get another architect. ONE WHO UNDERSTANDS YOUR BUDGET and decide what's more important to you. Square footage or details.

    Sorry, if I sound harsh....but the only thing standing in your way...is your failure to realize that you can have a lovely home, if you are honest about what you can afford and what you really need, then want. Best of luck with your design! :)

    CSKI 13 thanked Lavender Lass
  • 10 years ago

    Why not post the different plans here for us to look at. Many of the folks here can offer suggestions that might help you to see why it's so expensive.

    CSKI 13 thanked cpartist
  • 10 years ago

    Have you already talked with builders to confirm that you will be able to build what you are hoping for within your budget? (Size, basement, finish level, etc.)

    Would you and your uncle want to work together? If so, maybe consider working with your uncle on design development (concept plans) and then see if you can find a local architect to help with items where you would want someone in the area (permitting, construction drawings, overseeing bidding and construction etc.). If you talk with local builders they might be able to suggest someone.

    Have fun and good luck!

    CSKI 13 thanked Oaktown
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    First builders said he could build what we wanted for $170/sqft...so we took that information and some inspiration photos/plans to a highly regarded (regionally at least, they're featured in many national magazines) architect who drafted plans, which were revised several times (and yes, we continued to consult with the builder along the way...) Here is the first plan that was drafted for us:

    When the first builder came in at almost $1.1M we took it to 3 other builders who bid it out and brought back estimates in the same ballpark. Silver lining, we found a GREAT builder who has been very helpful and referred us to Architect #2:

    (image removed)

    Alas, Plan #2 came initially came in at $1.08M and we' worked it down to $850. Still more than we want to spend at this point in our lives. I'd like to bring it (something, anyway) for between $650-750k b/c we need to be able to afford a pool at some point.

    @ lavendar Lass, yes, I know all too well what a "waste of money" this has been. I try to think of it as a mid-priced education for ourselves and that we have contributed to the local economy so that someone has derived some benefit from our ignorance.

    As far as my uncle is concerned, his specialty is commercial buildings not residential and we're no longer that close (and he's been retired for 10-15 years now. I've thought about talking to him about it, but other family members have discouraged me from doing so.)

    @cpartist, each time our builders have expressed shock at how high the price has come in.

    Builder 1 tends to specialize in two-story craftsman houses, so his explanation was that he had no idea a "sprawling ranch" would cost so much. Initially we played with replacing segmented windows with straight ones and lowering ceiling heights (the soaring ceilings were not requested by me -- I asked for 10' ceilings, only.) We played with the idea of reducing the 4-car garage to 3, but in the end found that it saved only $15k, so really wasn't worth it. Obviously we eliminated the coiffured ceilings from Plan 1 to Plan 2, and tried to simplify the roof lines as well. I've already paid for appliances (as well as door handles -- which I imagine I'll have extra of when all is said and done!) so they don't even factor into the picture. I have also purchased nearly all of the lighting, interior and exterior, save 2 bathrooms and ceiling fans (which my husband and I are still arguing over).

    Bottom line: Plan 2 has 10' ceilings in basement and main level. We were going to remove the screened in porch off the deck, but that saves us less than $3k. We like symmetry, as you can probably tell. We are thinking about trying to going "up" (at least with the secondary bedrooms) and leave the basement unfinished to save costs. Have also discussed pulling the garage in line with the front of the house (an idea that makes me want to cry) and flipping it so that the garage is on the west side of the lot where we can do a 2-up/2-drive down since the lot does have a downward slope in that area.

    @Oaktown, yes, I should be able to build a 2500 (abgr)square foot house with a basement in this area for between $500-700k quite easily, at least according to appraisers, banks, builders and architects...just haven't found a plan that I like that will allow me to do that.

    It now appears building permits have been filed and approved for 2 of my neighbors. The "modern" house I've already spoken about is listed at 3700 square feet for $400k and the other is 5000 square feet at $700k. As for my finishes, other than hardwood on the main level and modest amounts of crown with 5" painted baseboards, there is no ornamental wood whatsoever. I chose nice JennAir appliances (which I've already paid for), not SZ/Wolf or even Thermador. I've also purchased nearly all of my lighting and door fixtures...so it's not the finishes, thank you, it's the plan, hence my interest in finding a new one.

    I do appreciate everyone's input, thank you.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Here's what we're thinking about trying (a variation of -- need to enlarge it to 3300 to meet covenants since it is 2-stories; and as I said before we'll connect the garage to the house, in line with the house. On the second story, the Loft will become a bedroom and will share a bath with bedroom #3. Part of the future storage area will become a walk-in closet, and NO, there will not be an in-law suite.):

    (image removed)

    And I'd like to give a shout-out to Archival design for the images of the Hartwell House plan, although the Parsall and LeaAnn are very similar (in fact, I think the layouts here are a mix between Hartwell and Parsall), but the idea is the same.

    (image removed)


    LeaAnn -- there are no "bump-outs" on the side and they off-set the dining room which I actually like, but again, just inspiration shots and a detached garage is not an option (nor, apparently, is an angled one).

    (image removed)

    Here is the Hartwell exterior:

    (image removed)

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    csk I feel for you. Our bid came in at $100k more than we wanted to start at. Yes we can afford it, but prefer not to spend it right off the bat considering everyone says to have between 10%-20% contingency.

    One way I am cutting my expenses down is my original build came in at 2836 square feet. I figured out a way (no thanks to my builder or the draftsman, LOL) to cut out about 250 square feet which should save us (I'm guessing) between $25k-$50k.

    Your first house had several bump outs so it appears your second one would be less expensive. Are there any rooms you could cut? maybe cut some of the room sizes?

    For example it appears you have a lot of extra space in your master bath. Would you be willing to rework the master so it's smaller if you could still have all the same things at the same sizes but just minimize the footprint a bit?

    What about your master bedroom? How much time do you actually spend in your bedroom? For example, for us that was one of the first rooms we cut down. Ours is 13'x 16 and still fits our king size bed, and a dresser. I'm not saying that's what you should do, but just some things to think about.

    Does Cheryl's office need a full bath? Or any bath?

    Do you need the full kitchen downstairs since kitchens and bath cost the most?

    And do you need so many bedrooms considering that your grown children only visit? Can the grandkids double up in the bedrooms?

    Garage space is less expensive to build than other space.

    Bigger is not always better. Good use of space is what is more important than size. I strongly suggest if you haven't read it yet, you read The Not So Big House by Sarah Susanka.

    I like your second plan and think it has merit but I see lots of areas it can be cut back and still work. Since you can get away with 2000 square feet on that floor, why not cut it down to 2000 square feet.

    I haven't looked too carefully right now but can try to later or tomorrow. Or some of the real gurus maybe can.

  • 10 years ago

    CCK...yes, both of your plans look like at least million dollar houses in my area. DH and I did the same thing you did. We spent 15k on a plan that we are not building...too, too, too, much house. So you are not alone, if it makes you feel any better. Better to realize it now than forge ahead and regret it.

    we have a stock plan from southern living we will be using. Have you looked there?

    CSKI 13 thanked ILoveRed
  • 10 years ago

    The market has spoken. You're not listening. It's your want list that is the problem. You're going to have to drastically reduce square footage and amenities.

  • 10 years ago

    @Sopie Wheeler -- hence the title of the post - "Need a New Plan."

  • 10 years ago

    LOL cski13

    CSKI 13 thanked cpartist
  • 10 years ago

    Hi cski13, how close are you to Iowa City? If you're in the vicinity, I could refer you to some awesome people we're working with.


  • 10 years ago
    VERY close -- Would love to have a referral, thank you.
  • 10 years ago

    cski13, please private message me.


  • 10 years ago

    I may have wrongly assumed that this is your forever/retirement home. If it is, can we clear away all the plans with more than one level of living space? A basement works fine for insulation/storage/mechanicals -- and grandkids! "No stairs" works well for everyone, and may be *necessary* sooner than you can guess.

    I suspect there are many very livable single level layouts at around 2K sq ft that are within your budget, but you seen drawn to impressive *exteriors*. Is that the case? The plans you've posted seem rather overboard on their exteriors to me -- with less inspired interiors. A lot of mass produced plans are drawn to present exciting exteriors, with interiors subservient. This sells plans; it doesn't make for happy living without adjustments to the interiors.

    I gather that your view is North. You'll need some 'spendy' windows there. I don't see *any* side windows on some of these plans.

    Can you pare down the main level of your first plan and eliminate the 4-car garage and finished lower level? Bring the roof line down somewhat?

    .

    CSKI 13 thanked chisue
  • 10 years ago

    I'd like to thank everyone for their inputs, but am closing this thread down now. Appreciate everyone's thoughts and ideas. @treehuggergirl, thanks for the pm.

  • 10 years ago

    Part of the problem is the lot itself. If it requires that you build 3000 sf, then it's not the right lot for you. Lake living comes at a premium. One that you're not willing to pay. You need a different lot that has less upscale requirements if you need to match it with your budget.

    The other part of the equation is your expectations. It's more than the basic champagne taste with beer budget issue. There's a fundamental disconnect as to what a retirement home for two really needs to be a retirement home.

    Or, spend the money. You say that you can afford it. So, get what you say you want. Pay the costs to be the boss. Looking for a "floor plan" that will give you your laundry list and square footage at the costs that you want to spend isn't the realistic approach here.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    @Sophie Wheeler

    WOW.

    Hope you feel better.

  • 10 years ago

    We are planning to build this home in the spring, we are making a few adjustments as well. Would you be willing to email me with some of the details of your plan? We will be leaving out the second floor, but finishing the basement.

    Any advice and help would be amazing! We want to keep it as close to 2000sq feet as possible.

    shantel_romanson@hotmail.com

    Thank you

  • 10 years ago

    Sawyerquin, I'll email you over the weekend.