Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
studioeastconstruction

New construction...better design ideas for energy efficiency...

I'm looking for good ideas to incorporate into a new home construction. I am thinking of things to improve energy bills. One thing I am thinking about is exterior walls built out of 2x8 plates and a staggered weave of 2x4 studs to create an exterior wall with a complete thermal break as well as room for extra insulation. Other things I have heard of are heat recovery from your drain water (not sure if thats really any good), and heat recovery in your air exchanger. There has to be more and better ideas... anyone have some good ideas?

We live in a cold climate....Nova Scotia, Canada and really want to build on a slab with in floor heat.

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Conscious Construction Design Build
    11 years ago
    A few of the basics I like to include are

-Advanced framing such as minimal headers, 24"oc layout, ....eliminate all the extra lumber that goes into most new homes are fill that space with insulation.

-Open floor plan with ductless heatpump heating (and AC)

-Exterior foam for thermal breaks (not sure how much in your climate. We do 1" in southern oregon but you probably need more to keep the dew point outside the wall.

Good Luck!
  • Rawketgrl
    11 years ago
    In your area I believe a geothermal heat pump is a viable option. I am sure you are already planning on getting the biggest R value insulation you can in your ceiling and make sure the attic is well vented and adding a fan if possible. Pick a roof with the best Solar Reflective Index (SRI) and Thermal Emittance ratings you can find. Here is a link to an article that may give you more ideas....
    http://1.usa.gov/154MEFf good luck...
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Nothing beats proper insulation along with solar design especially in Canada.
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    Heat rises....Your radiant heat idea is probably better than a heat pump with a 94% efficient boiler like the Baxi Luna in your climate. The Luna can do double duty as a hot water heater too. Here in coastal California we don't get as bitter cold, but the heating season is all year long in some micro-climates. I agree about using high efficiency framing and an exterior thermal break of closed cell foam. There are waterproofing/intrusion issues when placing foam on a buildings exterior. Benjamin Obdyke makes a weep fabric that we use in conjunction with a moisture barrier. With stucco a double moisture barrier with the weep in between is pretty bombproof (and specified by the manufacturer). Windows and doors get a little built out with the foam and additional moisture proofing. If you can fit it into the budget, replacing any fiberglass insulation with spray foam is better. We are required to use a minimum 2X6 exterior wall for an R19 value. The heat recovery from drains is usually workable on two or three story buildings. With a slab on grade, you wont be draining hot water down a long vertical pipe (I've only seen the system with a copper coil run around a vertical pipe as a preheat for the hot water heater). With a boiler, the preheat may not be worth it anyway. Electrical use is energy consumption too, so occupancy sensors on all lighting, high efficiency light, LED or florescent through out the house. There are numerous articles and books on home energy efficiency...do your homework and be an informed buyer. Take a look at the Building Science Corporation's website for building tech issues (www.buildingscience.com). They are based in Boston, so maybe a little closer to your climate than NorCal.
  • PRO
    Studio East Construction & Design Inc.
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    wow... tons of great info! i super appreciate it all. I dont know what I think about"minimal framing".... worries me that it wouldnt be very strong...and for hanging sheetrock not very easy. But i do understand the concept...more insulation.

Around here heat pumps are taking the market by storm. I have talked to some ppl who say their in floor radiant hot water heat (by elrctric boiler) is costing them an absolute fortune. The heat pump is suppose to cut that power bill by a lot. But I dont understand how it can spread the heat through the house and into bedrooms and so on. Do you need a few to distribute the heat? also seems like a waste to have the expense of heat pumps and in floor heat...but maybe not. I have heard heat pumps are only good to -15 and the in floor could be useful then. also maybe leave it on really low to keep floors warm. Do any of my theories make sense?
  • PRO
    Conscious Construction Design Build
    11 years ago
    I should clarify.... Perhaps "minimal" is the wrong word. What I am talking about is eliminating the unnecessary non-structural lumber that goes into many homes. Strength is not compromised (nor is the ability to hang siding or sheetrock.) Some of the techniques we have been using to build homes for decades are not used because they are "the best way" but rather "the way it's always been done".

If you Google "Advanced Framing Technique" you can find a lot of information about it. We have been doing it for years with no issues and my structural engineer (who is no pushover!) has signed off on it.

Saves trees and allows more insulation!