Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shal1217

Nursery - Finishing Touches

shal1217
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hello Houzz!

It's been a while since I've posted anything on here because truthfully, our time has been focused on preparing for a new arrival in our family! With that said, we have slowly been preparing the nursery and I'm looking for your thoughts and suggestions for finishing touches to complete the space.

Here is what we have done so far:

We still need to get the mattress and bedding but this is what we were thinking of getting (not sure about the bumper or skirt):

We are also converting this IKEA chair into a rocker with a swivel base:

This is side table for the chair:

We also have our window coverings (ivory panels with a black curtain rod), some slim wall mounted shelving to display some books and a lamp for either the dresser or side table.

I was thinking of getting (or making my own) art like this for over the crib:

And this mobile:

I find the hardest part of decor is finding the finishing touches! Your ideas and suggestions are welcome. :-)

Comments (23)

• orangecamera
    8 years ago

I love the stars on the upper part of the wall. Unfortunately, most of your pictures didn't post.

• shal1217
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh and for reference - the top paint in Cloud White and the bottom portion is Revere Pewter, both by BM.

• Geneviève
    8 years ago

Will it need pink or blue ? So far its neutral by the look of things , babies grow fast so don't invest in too many things that you will need to change in a year or so ,kids have their own likes and dislikes and yours will let you know in a hurry ..

• Geneviève
    8 years ago

Elsie Interior | 3rd Avenue South | Minneapolis, MN · More Info

• shal1217
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks orangecamera, hubby installed all 150 of them individually - it was a lot of work but turned out great!

I also edited the original post to add the missing pics. :-)

I guess I could be more specific in the type of feedback I'm looking for:

1. What should I do above the dresser? Floating shelf? Art?

2. I need a throw pillow for the rocker, suggestions welcome.

3. Should I add a pouf in front of the chair?

4. What should I place on the dresser? I have ample storage for diapers and supplies so not quite sure what to put there. There will be a change pad on the top but it won't take up the whole space.

5. I would like to add some baskets for toy storage, any suggestions?

Oh and I was looking at doing something like this with the shelving and incorporating some other items that could fit (like a picture frame) for added interest:

This is the only picture of the space I have right now but I'll try to take some more tonight to give a better idea of the space I'm working with. I could use some advice on layout too!

• shal1217
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Genevieve. We don't know the sex 100% yet (was told most likely a girl but waiting for another ultrasound to confirm) but we might add some touches of colour once we know. For a girl I was thinking of adding either blush or a soft coral and for a boy I was thinking of a deeper blue.

This is our first baby which is why we are keeping the bigger items neutral so that we can still use it and change a few smaller items whenever we have another addition to the family.

• PRO
    AK Complete Home Renovations
    8 years ago

Love the sophisticated nursery. This is the style we chose for our children's bedrooms and found it very flexible to grow with them! I love your monochromatic idea for the artwork, but it's going to match too much with the crib. Do you have a name yet? We love monograms. Even incorporated as part of a gallery wall with some family pictures. Face closeups are particularly great for a baby's room as they can focus on their loved one's eyes...

We'd love to see a bold graphic print on 3 panels too. You could easily make you own by enlarging an image or shape, or photo, that you love and print it in 3 pictures and frame it. And maybe some starburst, sea urchin groupings around the room!

• shal1217
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks AK, I see what you mean about the art being too monochromatic. Thanks for your input and ideas!

• acm
    8 years ago

1) you'll want a changing pad on that dresser. make sure that art is hung far enough up that a kicking baby can't dislodge it.

2) good idea. pick an accent, you need some color or pattern in here -- maybe you can find a colorful pillow that picks up on the star theme.

3) yes to some kind of foot stool -- super helpful for late-night feedings and the like.

4) nothing decorative on top of the dresser -- maybe a small rack for keeping diapers and cream within reach. newborns are pretty passive, but even a six-month-old can be squirmy enough to require one hand for restraining, so you need to be able to grab everything with one hand.

5) don't get too into bedding. I got the cutest crib set, and then all the safety recommendations meant that I used *none* of it -- bumpers can suffocate a young baby, you shouldn't use blankets on the bed (we put our kid in only a sleep sack through about age 2!), no pillows until they're toddlers... I think we used the bed skirt, because it was cute, until we had lowered the bottom of the crib to the point that it hit the floor. Save yourself the expense and get a few colorful crib sheets that you like and skip the rest.

Totally love the book shelves in your last photo -- maybe the right place to hang something like that is near the chair, where you can grab them to read at bedtime. Make sure they're deep enough to switch to knick knacks later, though, as by 2-3 your kid will want access to the bookcase and you'll need many more shelves than that. We ended up with something like this from about ages 2-6 (now she's a serious reader and is overcrowding a regular bookcase!):

Of course, you'll probably rearrange your room every couple of years for a while, so maybe it's ok to just put in some things that make *you* happy being there, since you'll spend a lot of time making naps happen and huddling during late-night calls...

• PRO
    AK Complete Home Renovations
    8 years ago

You will definitely want a rest for your feet in front of the rocker! We never did floating shelves above someplace the baby would be laying down (changing table / bed /etc) JUST to be extra safe.

Do you have room for a shelf like this mini open one in the picture? Baskets are very handy and can hide the small stuff!! Also the top of it is a good place to bring in some accent color accessories!

• orangecamera
    8 years ago

Wow, your husband did a great job! Keep him!!!!

As soon as you have the baby you'll be accumulating lots of "stuff", so I'd suggest leaving as much empty space as you can in the room. It'll fill itself without much effort. That said, you may want a larger table next to the chair. Once your little one is comfy in your arms you won't want to have to get up to get anything. So you'll want to be able to reach a little blanket, your beverage (especially if you're nursing!), a book for you to read while baby sleeps on your shoulder, your phone, a snack, etc. Do you have a way to play music? A small bluetooth speaker can play soothing music from your phone, for instance.

• shal1217
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So much good advice - thanks everyone!

acm -

1)/2) You're right, I think it's safest to nix the floating shelf idea and stick with a frame or something if necessary. I just feel like that space is so empty and I can't help but gravitate towards the neutral art... maybe once we know the sex for sure it'll be easier for me to add touches of colour!

3) I was thinking something like this (ideally in a shade that matches the grey)?

4) Hmm ok, maybe some sort of basket with the essentials could work then.

5) Thanks for the bedding recommendation, I heard the same about bumpers so it would be there just for decor which I agree is kind of wasteful now that I think about it! Good to know about the skirt, and actually, as I look at the crib now, I notice the bottom of the rail is quite thick so I don't think it'll be necessary. This is the mattress we are thinking of getting (which you can actually use without a mattress sheet if you want since the cover is removable and washable and you can order extras):

Should I just stick with that for now and say, maybe get a blanket for decor purposes to use as a throw when needed on the rocking chair but to otherwise drape over the railing of the crib?

6) Good idea, I'll look into it. We plan on moving the little one out of this bedroom when they're big enough to have a normal bed but that's definitely something to keep in mind for the new bedroom!

• shal1217
    Original Author
    8 years ago

AK - I'm afraid we're a little tight for space in this room, it's only 10x12. I included the layout for reference. Crib is currently on the outer wall next to the window (our house is a new build so luckily windows aren't drafty), large Ikea dresser is currently against the wall opposite the closet. Open to layout suggestions though. I initially wanted the chair in front of the window but not sure if that'll be too tight with the closet door.

• orangecamera
    8 years ago

You can always rearrange furniture as needs change. And as much as you want the nursery to be perfect, remember that it doesn't have to be. The "table" next to my rocking chair when I had infants was a large cardboard box covered with a tablecloth.

Key is to make the room calming so your infant can sleep. Make sure the crib isn't going to catch a breeze from the heat vent, and seriously consider room-darkening shades/curtains.

• shal1217
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks orange! We set up the nursery with the chair and I like the layout so far which is good because I wasn't so sure before.

We have blackout roller blinds and are adding some ivory panels to soften up the room so light shouldn't be an issue. :-)
  • shal1217
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    We just got our mattress this weekend and I think it looks great (kinda wish I could lie down on it to be honest haha)

We also converted the chair into the rocker which turned out great, put up the curtains (that still need a good steam), and hung some art and a mirror we had forgotten we had in our basement. I'll post some pictures tonight - everything is coming together so well!
  • PRO
    Chris Zec Photography
    8 years ago

Such a beautiful job...you obviously have amazing taste! Just keep doing what you're doing. Think the neutral artwork is adorable...the space is so intrinsically calm, you don't have to add a color. Once your little one arrives, some black and white photos in silver/pewter frames would be fantastic. Best wishes!

• shal1217
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you so much Chris! Once we know if baby is a boy or girl I plan on adding a few personal touches but all in all I think I'll be keeping the space quite neutral. :-)

• michigammemom
    8 years ago

What a tasteful and serene nursery! Of course you must have this throw pillow. :)

Love You to the Moon and Back Throw Pillow, Ivory · More Info

• shal1217
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you michigammemom! It's so funny that you mention the pillow because I just ordered a similar one yesterday! I like the font of the one you picked though, so if the one I ordered doesn't work out I'll definitely be ordering this one!

• mramsey
    8 years ago

You might want to consider a comfortable adult sized bed for those nights when they need a little extra TLC and the schlep from the master BR seems like 100 miles...

• shal1217
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the advice but we unfortunately don't have enough room to add an extra bed. Luckily baby will be sleeping in our room (in a bassinet) for the first few months and the nursery is literally right next to our bedroom. :-)