Software
Houzz Logo Print
jignarealtor84

Advice to brighten this kitchen

10 years ago
Need advice on the wood flooring color, backslash, wall color and counter color to brighten this kitchen. Keeping the same cabinets and lobe earth tones.

Comments (13)

  • 10 years ago
    New lighting, under cabinet lighting, lighter countertops, and neutral paint and remove the blinds, update hardware. Update appliances to stainless if possible.
  • 10 years ago

    You're asking about almost everything -- are you planning to change almost everything, or trying to decide what to change?

    I think that your biggest bang will come from getting rid of anything black -- for sure the counter, as that's the largest area that's sucking up light, but also the appliances if you can afford to change them. That, the white backsplash, and under-cabinet lighting will get you most of the way that you can get. Removing the wallpaper and updating the cabinet pulls will help modernize, but make no difference to lighting. I like the yellow paint, but might cool it a bit so that it doesn't make your cabinets look any pinker. A pale sage green could be nice too.

    I like the flooring, especially if you like warm/earth tones. Not sure what you're asking there. Could obviously switch to lighter tan tile or whatever, but I don't think it will lighten the room much, and wood is very popular right now.


    Lisa, Los Altos · More Info

    There are other directions to go -- you could change your white backsplash to a cream and go with an off-white paint. Depends on the counter you pick -- choose that first. I suggest one of the many creamy stones available now.

    Contemporary Ranch Kitchen Upgrade · More Info


    Coppell kitchen remodel · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    I am trying to decide what to change to update it.
  • 10 years ago

    Thank you so much for the replies. We have decided to take the borders, paint a warm tan color, update the appliances to stainless steel, counters to a lighter tone. Also, I am thinking about the https://www.houzz.com/products/travertine-brown-glass-mosaic-kitchen-backsplash-tile-12x12-prvw-vr~15081503 backsplash and recess lights,

    Will put pictures once done.


  • 10 years ago
    I am thinking of getting two/three closets below the island. since I am keeping the same cabinets, what color should I get the kitchen island cabinets? The fabricator suggested putting a breakfast bar around the kitchen stove. We have decided to put two slabs of MCI New Kashmir White granite. Need advice on backsplash and kitchen island cabinetry. All comments much appreciated.
  • 10 years ago
    I would paint the cabinets a warm white distressed finish with black knobs to match the appliances and counter. take down the upper cabinets on the sink wall and replace with open shelving. paint walls and add pendant lights above sink and island also paint island base black and trim it out. that would be the easiest and cheapest solution
  • 10 years ago
    Please help me choose back splash with this countertops. It's MSI NEW Kashmir White.
  • 10 years ago
    Pictures of updated kitchen. Thank you for your advice. The only thing missing now is under the cabinet lighting.
  • 10 years ago

    Nice. Guess you changed the floors too!

  • 10 years ago

    Very pretty! I think the floor is the same - that is some cardboard on the floor to protect it during work I am guessing? I have under cabinet lighting from my sink to my stove and love it. It is the DIY kind that plugs in, so before I do my backsplash I want an electrician to put a hidden outlet under a cabinet so the cord doesn't show. I am working with wood cabinets myself and searching for a new countertop - so love seeing your results.

  • 10 years ago

    Great work!

  • 10 years ago
    Yes, we changed the floors to darker acacia wood. Still need to do the stainless appliances.