Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_25013470

Tv trouble

10 years ago
Would tv look better mounted on wall? We're redoing living room.

Comments (68)

  • 10 years ago

    Just eyeballing here, but if you bring the tv up so that the top edge lines up with the top edge of the shadow box/picture frame (the one in the middle of the three), you'll be in the "sweet spot" for that size tv.

    I'm guessing you'll need a table at least 30" high or so, based on the tv pictured.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Right now, your tv is at coffee table height. Skip right over end/side table height and go directly to sofa table height. ;-)

    BTW: I'm making these suggestions based on the assumption that your tv is roughly 32".

  • 10 years ago
    Very nice Susa 2494. Here are a few I liked.
  • 10 years ago
    The tv is 50" and according to the story on houzz the sweet spot is looking directly at the center of the tv while seated on the couch, which it is now.
  • 10 years ago
    Maybe our couch sits low. It's actually. 60" tv and the stand is only 19" high. That does seem low if most run 25-30" high.
  • 10 years ago

    Knowing that it's 50" and not 32" makes a bit of a difference, but, just by looking at your photos, it needs to go higher.

    Do you have any tables, desks —or even a dresser— you can easily move into that area just to get an idea of what looks and feels right?

  • 10 years ago
    We're having new carpet installed Thursday so we can probably do that.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Yes, it would look better mounted. This is a project we did in Laguna Beah, Ca.

    Beach Bungalow · More Info


  • 10 years ago

    yes definitely on the wall OR as Samantha suggested put a dresser there and put it on top of that. Right now it gets lost, and the frame arrangement above keeps drawing the eye up there. If the dresser idea works, your local Craig's list is full of good deals for dressers at cheap prices. The drawers could hold remotes, magazines etc. Good luck with your project!

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Just remember that console should be at least 25% longer if TV is 50", then go with a console of 62-65". It can be longer if you want. I would not go higher than 30" better if you are a little below that. Take down everything on the wall until you get your console. The we'll see what needs to go on the wall. With a longer console you can add a lamp or some tall decorative items on the console.

  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago
    Thank you!
  • 10 years ago

    Just get a TV console. Skip the towers; they are clutter magnets.

  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago
    Very nice. It's just such a big blank wall and the only other wall has 2 windows and a fireplace so there's really not anywhere to put a few decorative items. Though the towers might help fill the space.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Here's an attractive wall-to-wall look. It doesn't need to be a console necessarily, but just shelving.

    Naples Beach Coastal Retreat Series Living Room · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    Shelving works in a modern space, where you don't mind seeing the electronic devices all the time. Consoles work when you want to have closed storage. If you want to use the devices with the doors closed, and you do not have RFID, you'll have to get some glass doors, so the signal from the remotes can reach the devices. It has to be clear or lightly tinted. Dark glass, mirrored, or textured glass won't work with IR. Read the reviews of any piece you're considering.
  • 10 years ago
    In a modern space, a low console looks great, a more traditional space and shorter wall may require a taller console. The height you have now is fine. We look at a wall, and instinctively want to center the largest thing on it, but that's not necessary. What will work for the space is what will work for your family, how you want to view the TV is the rule here. If you like it where it is, get another low console.
    Ours are due to be delivered this week. We wrestled a bit with the height issue, as well, and ended up with a height of 24 inches, a foot higher than I wanted, a foot lower than husband wanted. Glass in two center doors, solid in the end doors. We got 2, and will butt them together, the wall is 180 ins., we did not want bookcases or towers. Any gaps will be hidden by a matte black painted strip of cardboard attached between them at the back. We've done this before when putting 2 pieces together, looks great.

    Our wall is 14 ft high. I dislike gallery walls, because I have to keep straightening and dusting the frames, but it may work for you. We plan on placing the TV off center, with one large art piece on the wall, and pottery on the console surface. But the focus will be the TV, and I'm fine with that. Husband is a movie buff, has thousands of DVDS, so we watch a film almost every night.
  • 10 years ago
    Housega2000. I really like that. Are those floating shelves?
  • 10 years ago
    Teamaltese, sounds really good. Do you have a picture of what you bought?
  • 10 years ago
    Also really good info about the type of doors. The wires would bother me.
  • 10 years ago


    87" long 22" high. Plenty of room for art and TV.

    Decide on the console and then worry about the wall. Anything above eye level is just going to be a distraction. Keep it simple and classy. Wayfair.com SKU: VGX1527

    Floating shelves are a pain getting them perfect. And you don't need them.

  • 10 years ago

    It is a big wall, and as such, requires big things. Towers will encourage tiny things which will end up looking out of scale and like so much clutter. A very long console, some big art, and your mountain goats are probably enough. And you don't really need doors; the wires can be stuffed between console and wall.

  • 10 years ago
    Here's the link,

    https://m.samsclub.com/products/tv-stands-media-consoles/1180101

    Sam's had the best price, others like Wayfair and Walmart had it as well.
  • 10 years ago
    It's the Newport 72 inch console.
  • 10 years ago
    Teamaltese-
    Don't really like the brown. Maybe black or grey or something like that. New couch is purple and new carpet is grey. The swatch is the sectional and the material is possible chair.
  • 10 years ago

    Susan- that console is interesting. I like it.

  • 10 years ago

    The console is a great size and would look nice with your color scheme. The teal would give that 3rd pop of color that would go really well with the gray and purple.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Just another opinion-I would not put teal with purple.

  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I am goofy. All along I thought the plum swatch was a yet-to-be delivered sofa....

    it's already in the photos is that correct??? thanks.

  • 10 years ago
    I'm really enjoying your dilemma. It is helping me a lot. How long is your tv wall? I have the same problem. Everyone has such good ideas and I love all the consoles. It would be hard to choose.
  • 10 years ago

    Everdebz- no that's not it in the photo, someone photoshopped the old one in purple. You were right. Poshky- the wall is 18 1/2 feet long.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Hi - please consider Standout Designs Media Consoles - solid wood, factory assembled and made in the USA!

  • 10 years ago
    I was wondering what you ever did with your TV wall?
  • 10 years ago

    Hi Poshky! Thanks for being interested! We have had the walls painted and ended up removing the speakers. Am still trying to decide on a console but have 2 chairs on order I want to get in place before getting it or putting anything on wall because I want to get an exact feel for how much space I have. I'll update when I get more done!

  • 10 years ago

    Here's a before and after so far. The before picture above is better.

  • 10 years ago
    Oh that's great! I know picking a console is hard. I'm finally to the console, art, furniture part lol! This all takes so much longer than it looks. I did finally order a rug. I hope it works.
  • 10 years ago
    This is how ours turned out. The cats dragged their tunnel over during the night, there are two ceramic cats there, I guess the real cats want the ceramic cats to play! It took almost a year of looking, these two consoles were the compromise.
  • 10 years ago
    Teamaltese, I love it! That's been my biggest obstacle- finding a long enough one. I wanted it at least 84, preferably 92" but those are limited. The buying 2 can be pricey. Where did you find yours?
  • 10 years ago
    Two 72 in consoles. Fills the space, gives us "display" surfaces, holds the TV. While not my first choice, I love the look!
  • 10 years ago
    Poshky, I had no idea it would take this long to finish a room! Between looking, deciding, waiting on orders, etc. it's sooo slow. I ordered 2 chairs in Nov that won't be in until Feb and everything else hinges on those! I'm also in the process of doing my bedroom and am looking for the right furniture. Good luck with your project. Post some pics!
  • 10 years ago
    We bought ours from SAMs club, but found it at Wayfair. It was less than $1500 for both, SAMs had free "white glove" delivery. Take a look at Wayfair, you can search by length and height, and finish.
  • 10 years ago

    I think it's funny that we both got our furniture from warehouse discount stores! You wouldn't think that's where you'd buy furniture but they have the same things for less.

  • 10 years ago
    Your bedroom looks really nice! I've thought about putting two consoles together also. Yours looks nice also;) When my rug gets here I will post some!
  • 10 years ago

    Poshky, thanks for the bedroom compliment but what you see is all I have-lol!

  • 10 years ago
    Well you are way ahead of me! Lol Our headboard is called drywall!!! Haha
  • 10 years ago
    Many good recommendations. Paint can make a huge difference. Large vertical strips in a color which suits you or blends could make a huge statement.
  • 10 years ago
    I love reading about your dilemma, because I have the same one. Just reading about yours I'm learning so much.
  • 10 years ago
    Update: still haven't found the right console but got rid of the speakers on the wall so it will be easier to decorate.