Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
audreyality

Barn doors: fad or future?

Audrey
8 years ago

Please give me your thoughts on the barn door trend. They seem to be everywhere in design now, but I wonder how dated they'll look five or ten years down the road.

Fad
Future
Other (comment)

Comments (19)

• Maureen
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Any decor choices won't be in style in ten years - if concerned about style changes. Even regular doors change as well as the hardware. Bigger question is how well they compliment your decor/home.

Audrey thanked Maureen
  • chookchook2
    8 years ago

They suit a certain style.

• chookchook2
    8 years ago

Lol, I think the one in our toilet was put in in the MCM times. Therefore it's quite trendy!

• chookchook2
    8 years ago

And yes, there are electric wires running in the wall behind it.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

it is currently a fad. One big problem is the difficulty in locking, people are discovering they are not giving the desired privacy. With time they will fall out of style. Then they will be very useful in certain ways which is what they should have been all along.

• gella81
    8 years ago

I much prefer a sliding door for the interior, regardless of style. Being a city dweller, I find they make quite a difference in small apartments.

• chookchook2
    8 years ago

Ours is ok. They made em well in those days.

• PRO
    Dogberry Collections
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Latitude Barn Door by Dogberry Collections · More Info

Dogberry Barn Doors and Hardware

Highest quality. Lowest price. Best value.

Its not just a fad if its functional and aesthetically pleasing. Which is what you'll find with Dogberry Barn Doors. Available right here on Houzz. Contact us if you have need of a custom design or dimension.

Customerservice@dogberrycollections.com or call 888-801-3393

• ArtWench .
    8 years ago
    I don't care if they go out of style! I adore them and want them in my home!
  • eightpondfarm
    8 years ago

they are functional in the same way pocket doors are in-that they don't require clearance to swing open/closed. so, i really think the concept will probably stay with us. style of the doors and runners will adjust with the times i'm sure.

• PRO
    Khatanah Design Studio
    8 years ago

I really think it depends on personal style when it comes to saying if this is a fad. In my opinion the barn door is just as functional as a pocket door especially in instances where the space is not there for a swinging door, so I don't think this trend is going to go away.

• PRO
    Blue Lotus Designs
    8 years ago

The barn door has come a long way from where it started. Different colors, materials and gliding systems.

• PRO
    Stonehenge Construction LLC
    6 years ago

For certain areas of the home they are nice by creating a wall feature and saving space by eliminating door swing. With multiple styles and rail systems, they can work in many areas of the home but do not always provide privacy or locking options so be careful with bathroom and bedroom locations.

• PRO
    TN Miller Remodeling
    6 years ago

The barn door is replacing the pocket door. Which in my opinion, is fantastic! I love the concept of a pocket door, but don't love the idea of opening the wall to install. As stated above, a barn door eliminates the issue of door swing. A barn door can be a design element in a room that may need some personality. Good luck!

• Wendy
    6 years ago
    Not sure why they are called a fad. They have been around a really long time. I personally love them for particular applications.
  • Belahn
    6 years ago

We had them in the 70s. I'd hardly call that a fad if they're still around.

• PRO
    Gerety Building and Restoration
    6 years ago

A year and a half after this poll was posted and they're still going strong. I think they'll be here for a while.

• PRO
    Loribeth Clark
    6 years ago

They definitely are not a fad. A fad is something that comes on suddenly and then fades away just a quickly. It's the peer pressure of design. Everyone wants it, because everyone else is doing it. Barn doors don't fit in that category, because they serve a useful function. Barn doors (sliding doors) save approximately 9 square feet of space when replacing a standard swing door. They work in areas where a pocket door would be ideal, but not easily retrofitted. If the door hung on the barn door hardware fits with the style of the house, the door will not go out of style. Barn doors are a trend, not a fad. As long as they continue to solve space issues, they will continue to be installed.