Software
Houzz Logo Print
mcdherr

What size painting can live here?

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

I've read that a piece of art should be 4/7 the size of the area. That feels a bit small to me.

The overall area is 33x62.

Thanks!!

Comments (17)

  • 10 years ago

    This is the area.

  • 10 years ago

    Generally 2/3 the width of the area. But the 4 to 7 ratio is also about the same thing.....ideally if you have 7 feet width of wall you would want to cover it with about 4 feet width of something.

    mcdherr thanked Susan Davis
  • 10 years ago

    Thank you soosun2. The painting won't have a frame, rather the canvas is stretched and the image wraps.


  • 10 years ago

    Sounds fairly simple, plus when you do hang somehing it generally registers Right or Wrong with your brain! haha And bigger is better than small; you actually want to see it and BIG is really in now.

    mcdherr thanked Susan Davis
  • 10 years ago

    Does this painting have any value? You will be exposing it to some bad elements.

    mcdherr thanked havingfun
  • 10 years ago

    @havingfun, that's a good point. Yes the painting has value. I'll have to consider this. Thanks.


  • 10 years ago

    no prob, best laid plans of mice and ladies...

    mcdherr thanked havingfun
  • 10 years ago
    I agree with Havingfun, putting any type of painting in that spot will ruin it eventually. I suggest a metal wall art piece. You can even go salvage and find a gate or metal window (just clean it well and use a spray polyurethane to prevent rust and flakes). Also, there are tutorials on the Internet for painting a rubber door mat to look like an antiqued metal grate.
    mcdherr thanked teamaltese
  • 10 years ago


    Pool and Cabana · More Info
    No valuable art in the kitchen - it will degrade. Try a metal plaque instead. it should be no more than 75% of the area you want to put it.

    mcdherr thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I think a wall mural would be different and eye catching. The link below is to a company that will custom. They are in the UK, but I'm sure there are other companies that do this type of thing. You can even upload your own image, so you could take a picture of your artwork and they would customize - I would cover the entire section. http://www.photowall.co.uk/photo-wallpaper

    Robbs Run Residence · More Info

    mcdherr thanked Maureen
  • 10 years ago

    I would go as big as 23x52 but I like huge artwork. A mural would look great too and would have a stronger impact especially if it wraps around the whole thing. You could also wallpaper it.


    mcdherr thanked ilikefriday
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I think it should be a metal relief wall decor.



    mcdherr thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 10 years ago

    Good grief, that's a kitchen exhaust fan. Do not put anything on it. If I understand your concern, it's an open area and people can see it from what, FR, LR ??

    Hang your art in those rooms and let it shine there.

    mcdherr thanked susan2494
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Another option would be to paint it the color of the ceiling. or black like some of the appliances.

    mcdherr thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Good idea about painting, maybe find a paint color that is close to the color of your cabinets. Then it will blend in more. Or do it in the color of the hood, a silver? so it looks all one color.

    mcdherr thanked susan2494
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    We'd have to agree with Bassman-Blaine Home, and even though we create artworks on plexiglas that stand up to the heat and humidity of a kitchen environment, we wouldn't recommend positioning any artwork in that spot - it's just way too high / above the sight line.