Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alchonka2000

Which countertop for my kitchen. 1- quartz, 2- granite

Alla
8 years ago

We are getting black stainless steel appliances, off white kitchen cabinets, espresso island . Now we need to choose the countertop and I'm not sure which one will look better. Please advise.

Thank you.

Comments (27)

• Ann
    8 years ago

I think the key is which looks best with the off white cabinets. Tough to tell from the pic but it's looking like option 2 might be best.

Alla thanked Ann
  • Alla
    Original Author
    8 years ago

1- is lighter than 2, I also want to make sure black stainless steel appliances are not too dark.

• Ann
    8 years ago

I see that 1 is quite a bit lighter, but I'm wondering if option 1 would be better with white than cream cabinets? Do you have any more pics of the granite choices?

• beseaside
    8 years ago
    Personally, I would like to see a granite with a bit warmer grays. 2 is getting there. Stainless is stainless not black, though your oven and micro have black doors. If there is any way to shift the micro to another location, you might be happier. An over the range micro does a poor job of venting and sits right in your face as you cook. Even a recirculating exhaust (not vented to outside) is better than an OTR micro.
  • ocotillaks
    8 years ago

I like 1 less maint. I had an extreme dislike of the over the range microwave in the previous house. I had to use the exhaust fan in the laundry room to clear the kitchen. A stove that exhausts outside is the way to go. IMHO

• ecpt
    8 years ago

I like choice #1.

• Alla
    Original Author
    8 years ago

more choices of granite

• Alla
    Original Author
    8 years ago

this is the just a better picture of quartz, same as original picture

• Alla
    Original Author
    8 years ago

better picture of granite also same as the original picture

• Alla
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Samsung has come up with black stainless steel, it's a new color. The pic is just how it was at the store. Applinces will not be next to each other. Unfortunately, they didn't have a hood in a black stainless steel that's why we ended up buying above the range microwave. The sales person told us that the microwaves above the range are much better nowadays. I guess I will have to see if that's true :)

• acm
    8 years ago

It's a matter of taste -- the granite has more grain and more drama, which can be good or bad. I'd also take a sample of the door color along with you to visit the slabs, as you'd hate to have a mismatch of undertone...

Alla thanked acm
  • pitbulls
    8 years ago

Alla thanked pitbulls
  • sequigle
    8 years ago
    Pick the one that unites your cabinets, appliances and floor. Hard to say from your samples but one that has touches of all the colors. I understand your delema as we are going through the same thing...good luck!
    Alla thanked sequigle
  • Ann
    8 years ago

I agree with acm. The undertone issue is the most important. There was a dilemma recently with cream tile floors and black and white counters. The OP was going to change one of them because it was just never going to work as it was. It was a shame as it was a brand new kitchen and the floor and counter were both beautiful, just not together. In your kitchen, it's the cabinet/counter combo that could run into that same issue. Hopefully not, but watch out for it. Look at the two together from a distance. That's where you'll notice the undertones.

Alla thanked Ann
  • leelee
    8 years ago

#1 is lighter and has cream in it to go with the cabinets. With dark appliances, floors and cabinets go lighter for counters.

Alla thanked leelee
  • Alla thanked drkildarestrikesagain
  • clriegler
    8 years ago

I like # 1 :)

Alla thanked clriegler
  • Alla
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I also like #1, and mostly because it's quartz. Quartz seems to look more modern and popular. It scares me tho that it's not fixible if it gets chipped

• newdiva2014
    8 years ago

Be careful of dark stainless...I read elsewhere that it can chip. I vote for the quartz counter...#1. The lighter the better, especially if you're going with dark appliances. If your kitchen doesn't get much light, you'll be much happier with the lighter countertops.

Alla thanked newdiva2014
  • Alla
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Kitchen will be getting light all day long.

• sequigle
    8 years ago
    1 looks awesome!
    Alla thanked sequigle
  • Barbara Ippolito
    8 years ago

If the floor is dark your counter top should be a lighter color it's hard to tell from the photos you attached.

Alla thanked Barbara Ippolito
  • lavanyasith
    7 years ago

Which did you choose? Have exact same dilemma!

• Angel Korros
    7 years ago

• PRO
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
    7 years ago

You're safer with the lighter option, but since your kitchen gets a lot of natural light, you can go with either granite or quartz. You should compare materials, see what better suits your needs and, in the end, go with your gut and preferred choice.

• Jessica
    7 years ago

A vote for 1!