Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_28554680

Yard sale wing back chair

User
8 years ago

I found this chair at a yard sale this morning for $15! I love the structure of this chair and it's so comfy. I want to upholster it but I heard it can cost $200-$350 to do that job, is that too high or the average price?

Comments (51)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    8 years ago

I love the fabric and looks expensive...perfect for that chair. What else is going on in your room? Could you incorporate it into your scheme?

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

The chair looks so perfect that I would be tempted to put it somewhere that it can be incorporated as is. Lovely find!

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@JudyG Designs This is the first piece of furniture I have bought for my new house. What would you say can be incorporated with this pattern?? :) It's going to go in my bedroom next to the fireplace, I will buy new bedding too. any suggestions?

• acm
    8 years ago

I just recently got a catalog that offered stretch slipcovers that are made to fit a variety of chair types and couches -- they tighten over the chair to the degree that it looks like it's been reupholstered, but at a quarter of the cost! Looks like they have a model for wingback chairs and also one for recliners -- worth a peep.

• Angel 18432
    8 years ago

i agree, looks in v good shape - why not try and work with it. You could throw a plain colored pillow or throw on it to tone it down a bit.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I would build an entire bedroom around that chair. That is no ordinary fabric, IMO. It has a Scalamandre or Manuel Canova or Schumacher look to it. What color is on the bedroom walls? Flooring?

I would pair it with a rich, velvet headboard .that coral tone in the fabric...this picture is the idea. Keep the bedding plain, but not a plain fabric...maybe a silky comforter.

Traditional Bedroom · More Info

The fabric lends itself to Asian/Indian and I would try to find a great bureau in that ethnic style.

You can have a lot of fun furnishing the bedroom. Scour antique and consignment shops.

Accent Chest 3566290 · More Info

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@JudyG Designs below is a pic of the room. I would say the walls are a tan-ish yellow. And flooring..hmm I don't know exactly, oak? The room is empty now.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    8 years ago

Do you know what would look great and be a perfect compliment to the chair, both in them and color of wood, and upholstered headboard would be a Campaign chest of drawers.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes! I like all these ideas and pieces! what would you do for artwork (if any, since the furniture is the art!) curtains or rug?

• Architectural Notice
    8 years ago

It looks lovely.

I echo the comments to try to incorporate it into your home without reupholstering.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    8 years ago

Rugs...depending on your budget, but lots of choices. Check overstock.com

• leelee
    8 years ago

Looks like a quality chair, however, the colors remind me of the old mauve and blue craze of the late 70/early 80's. My thought would be to not build a room around that fabric but to find fabulous bed linens that you love and go from there with the chair covering. If you find bedding that matches great but you might see that the chair will look a little worn or dingy next to new fabric.

• Angel 18432
    8 years ago

The question is - do you like it? If yes, then go with it - If no, then it should be changed to something you like.

• joannpb
    8 years ago

If you like the fabric, then go with it. There is a lot of fabric that coordinates beautifully with that Jacobean design print. Here are some ideas.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I want to go with a modern antique style. So it might work to keep it as is...not sure.

• rocketjcat
    8 years ago
    Gorgeous. I wouldn't change it. Can you take a picture of it in your room?
  • Ann
    8 years ago

I'm think it would cost 400-500 to have it reupholstered. I agree with others - maybe the right idea is to work with it as is. You could have fun with that.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @rocketjcat thank you! here's a better brighter pic. I'm having a hard time choosing things that would coordinate with it. The room is empty now. New house. But it will be going in the master next to the fireplace. Any ideas for furniture or anything?
  • zzmom40
    8 years ago
    Unless you absolutely love the fabric...I wouldn't work a room around it..in the long run you would be better off having it reupholstered in a inexpensive cotton duck in a neutral tone. $275 labor
    $100 cotton duck maybe even less
    $375-400 is a great price for a beautiful chair a fresh and new!
    Good luck
  • Susan Davis
    8 years ago

I agree that you have to love the chair. Here is a pic of a pattern chair in a room and what was done to make it fit. If you do not care for the 'look' of these two rooms you might just resell the chair?

Print chair with printed rug and wall painting and small piece of furniture and walls with the similar colors in it. Chair colors were used through out the room.

Contemporary Beach Living Room · More Info

Again chair established the colors used in room and rug ottoman and sofa determine coordinating colors.

Wesley-Wayne Interiors Family Rooms · More Info

So I think you can use the chair and coordinating colors in the chair in other pieces in room. But the other pieces are modern in feel where as the chair and rug are seen as more traditional.

If it were me I would find art work and a rug that firmly matches the chair and then your color scheme is established and you are on a roll.

• joannpb
    8 years ago

Take the seat cushion with you to a paint store; match all the colors in the fabric to paint chips; clip the chips together, with a pic of the chair fabric, to carry with you. You now have a handy reference for matching.

You also might look for a stripe with three or more of those colors and small, geometric prints with two of the colors. Monotone jacquard weave and brocades can work well, too.

• PRO
    MJS Designers Group
    8 years ago
    Have a custom made slip cover made for it down to the floor.
  • colleenccraig
    8 years ago

I must chime in. I adore that fabric! And would buy it to re-do my own wing chair. An absolute STEAL at $15. Keep as is for a marvelous conversation piece. Everyone will admire your eye for a fine deal!

• partim
    8 years ago

I'm getting a British Colonial vibe from that chair. It would look perfect in this room.

Babson · More Info

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @partim oh wow I love that bed. where can I find a similar one? you have a great eye for design :)
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    8 years ago

Can you read description for the last picture? It tells "Bed is made by British Khaki and shown in Robert Lighton (designer showroom)". You also can do research on google where to buy it.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    It doesn't show the caption for me : \ :) thanks celery girl!
  • courtinghome
    8 years ago

Hi, I agree with other posters, it is beautifully finished right now. You could add a small throw to "shift" the look a little. It will also relax the formal design. Just pick a favorite color from the pattern. A crisp blue, or a pop of that tangerine shade would make it look very current.The greens In the pattern are also very nice. $20 investment from Tuesday Morning or TJ Maxx. Funny, right, how accessorizing would cost just a bit more than the chair?

• susan2494
    8 years ago

I would take the blue from the chair and paint the bedroom walls that color. Then get crisp white bedding and add pillows from the chair. blue, green, peach. Take out the brown chair and find another place/home for it. Add a table beside chair and a lamp.

• partim
    8 years ago

Thanks, Daisy. I really like the British Colonial look too. Here are 2 Houzz articles about how to get the look. [British Colonial 1[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/9-ways-to-bring-home-a-little-british-colonial-style-stsetivw-vs~14228300)

[British Colonial 2[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/get-the-look-british-colonial-style-stsetivw-vs~2354643)

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @partim awesome thanks!
  • Madeline Small
    8 years ago
    How lucky to find a classic wing chair in an interesting fabric!

I bought a similar-looking chair & matching ottoman for $200 at a consignment shop, but the fabric was dated, dark, & UGLY. For many $$$ It was reupholstered and I'm very happy w/it.

I agree w/ others who suggest keeping your chair it as is, unless you are unhappy with it...you can always have it reupholstered in the future if you change your mind. Good luck!
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks Madeline. I think it's very unique!
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

I believe the main design elements to british colonial is to have dark woods, light fabrics mixed with certain colors many of which are in that chair and incorporate wicker, rattan, and bamboo where possible.

these elements can often be found in thrifts and on craigslist for quite reasonable.

the metals tend to stick to simple brasses and you can mix some creamy white in with them. i think your walls are pretty perfect and would save them for last, i suspect you may not have a problem at all with them, if they look like what i see.

• pdk920
    8 years ago

I bought a similar chair for $2 at a neighbor's yard sale, but it had already been taken down to the frame for reupholstering (which is still to be done.) I hope someday mine looks as good as your pretty chair!

• Jen Herter
    8 years ago

Yes, it can be up to $400.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

Daisy, did you find curtains and rug that you were happy with? or did you want me to give it a try? I see creamy yellow with tan, dark blue, sage and gray accents on it? You have to understand sometimes what we see is not what is there. So you think we are nuts, and we are wondering why you don't like anything lol

• PRO
    Needle & Shears Custom Decor
    8 years ago

The first comment by Jillian is correct. Re-upholstery is expensive. You might also consider a slipcover. Our custom made slipcovers for your type of chair start as low as $340 with fabric. If the chair is in good shape and good quality than you made a very good investment. A good quality wingback chair can cost over $500. Custom made slipcovers at an affordable price, Easy on-line ordering.

• L J
    8 years ago
    Paint the fabric
  • joannpb
    8 years ago

DON'T paint the fabric! I dragged home a very similar chair... A lovely Pennsylvania House wing chair, whose velvet fabric had sun-faded to sickly pink, otherwise perfect. I used a highly recommended fabric paint, and after much work, had a truly lovely deep cherry red chair.

All was well until a person sitting in the chair became a bit sweaty and the dye bled onto that person's clothes and skin.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    oh wow
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

joann, did affect the foam or stuffing of the chair, that is what i always wonder too?

• havingfun
    8 years ago

Daisy, you never answered, are you happy now with your chair and have things that go well with it?

• joannpb
    8 years ago

I don't know, Havingfun. It presently resides in my parents' garage, till I can take on the re-upholstering project. The sweat didn't do anything for the appearance of the chair, either.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I bought a chevron print slipcover for it, it's coming in the mail soon. When it comes I'll take a pic of it. Should look like this pic below. Except mine has black legs. :)
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

yeah I bet at a later date you will be happy you did not get rid of what is underneath. Have fun!

• suezbell
    8 years ago

Great find. Great colors. the arms of your chair don't even look the least it frayed

If you opt to use the chair as is rather than w/slipcover, you could consider picking your favorite color from the chair and using it as your primary color for the room the chair will be in. I like the blue but the green looks good as well. You could use your second favorite color from the chair for the main accessory color. Same applies to colors of any slipcover.

If you need to refresh the cushion because it smells like someone else has been using it, then tossing it in a dryer with a downy fabric sheet w/dryer set on low/warm for a few minutes will do that better than spraying it with stuff that covers up rather than rids it of smells.

Not really a fan of yellow hues or pink hues in beige or off white colors for wall colors; the actual color -- yellow or pink -- is less likely to look aged or dirty. A pale blue or even a gray wall would likely look better with a blue chevron slipcover rather than a pink or yellow wall or a color with a pink or yellow.

Give us an update if you can find the time. Moving into a new home is a lot of work.

• Cathy
    6 years ago
    OMG! That chair's a classic! The fabric's beautiful with so much potential to draw from. Save your $$$ and use it as your spring board to a beautiful room!
  • mrykbee
    6 years ago

I like your chair as is! The pattern is fun and not stuffy. I would only have it cleaned and use the money you would have spent on reupholstering it on something else for the room.

• Angel 18432
    6 years ago

2015 post.