Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorraineblasetti

Designer Disappointment - Condo Main Lobby - HOA will do themselves.

LB Interiors
8 years ago

Thought I would share some woes of a Designer!

'Before & After' Proposal

My current project disappointment. I recently learned that the HOA members of this Condo will be implementing the work themselves. This has not been updated for over 20 years.

The proposal was for an Eclectic Design with minimal expense. I have already provided and been compensated for ....

• Floor Plan - 3 Main Areas of the Main Lobby
  • Exterior & Interior - Rendering examples
  • Optional Furniture
  • 3 Area Rugs option - rather than 1 very large rug (soil prevention)
  • 2 Custom Tree Murals
  • 2 Custom Large Art above 1st Floor on each side
  • Paint color option
  • 5 Contractor Estimates

Recently I was asked to only include these services .... will have a retainer prior.

1. Choose - paint color.
  2. Choose Flooring - 2nd & 3rd floor lobby to work with the 1st floor vinyl tile. Suggested Pergo flooring. They might change the 1st floor later.
  3. Create 2 large Art on each side of the high walls above the 8' height.

They wanted an affordable designer. This lobby does not get used much. I think it needs to be inviting and comfortable.

Inexpensive suggestions were offered by purchasing some furniture from Craigslist, of which was agreed upon as a possibility.

This project began in late August. As of date, nothing has been decided, nor removal of bamboo panels and all the wallpaper on all the walls.

I have only had 2 meetings with the 5 board members including 19 other homeowners, who are not agreeing on anything. I was not invited to participate in other meetings, where I could help explain my proposals and why. The President of the HOA really would like to step down. He has been great, understands and trusts me, but I think he's lost interest and is frustrated.

*** I am very disappointed as this would have been a nice project for my portfolio. I was hoping to see most of this design come to fruition. It seems they have in house maintenance men, painter and electrical that might do the work. Wonder how they will all agree? and co-ordinate their choices?

Comments (61)

• samoken
    8 years ago
    I remember reading about this project on one of the threads I have followed. You were so excited about the possibilities. So sorry that your work has not come to fruition.
    LB Interiors thanked samoken
  • samoken
    8 years ago
    Ha! Didn't mean to 'copy' Ann's words.
    LB Interiors thanked samoken
  • User
    8 years ago

Hey LB, Sorry to hear this news. Too bad, they are missing out on one terrific lady! HOA's have way to much red tape to cut through. Their loss is our gain;)

LB Interiors thanked User
  • Lainie D'Eon
    8 years ago

Sorry to hear about your disappointment .. definitely their loss!

LB Interiors thanked Lainie D'Eon
  • Susan Davis
    8 years ago

I hope you keep the proposal in your portfolio as an example of the thorough and creative and logical work you do. It really is impressive; you did your job, they didn't do theirs.

LB Interiors thanked Susan Davis
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thank you so much Ann, Samoken, Margo & Lainie.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Soosun, thanks. It's like having a a very nice dream and wanting it to come true. Then know it can't. Yes of course going in my portfolio.

• marrymaid
    8 years ago
    They snooze and they lose. What a great plan!
    LB Interiors thanked marrymaid
  • Depo
    8 years ago
    Oh, LB, I am so sorry that you could not bring your vision to reality! It would have been beautiful!
    LB Interiors thanked Depo
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you tagan & Depo. I have to admit, I tried not to be disappointed, but it just didn't work.

• User
    8 years ago
    Oh LB, I am so sorry to hear of your disappointment. It is sad when things you are really looking forward to don't happen:(
  • babophz
    8 years ago

Sorry to hear it didn't work out the way you wanted, LB. But hey, more fun for us! It was a bit quiet with you so busy elsewhere...

LB Interiors thanked babophz
  • Mark
    8 years ago

Sorry LB that they did not follow through to the end with your design choices. I'm sure you offered a lot of "bang" for the buck which is very difficult to do in these kind of projects.

I'm sure they will regret their decision in the end and will probably have to spend more money to end up with half the design you proposed.

LB Interiors thanked Mark
  • Natalie
    8 years ago

LB---

I'm sorry your "vision" never came to fruition. I've read your posts here and there regarding this project and I know and understand how much time, energy, and creativity you invested. There is no doubt, the HOA will regret having not agreed to this project---think of it as their loss, not yours LB. Best Wishes to You! :))

LB Interiors thanked Natalie
  • avery2pt0
    8 years ago

Oh LB, not even sure what else to say........other than what a bunch of BS! Don't let it bring you down for too long, LB.......it's their loss. And what it could mean is that it's freed you up now for even a bigger and better opportunity. Like you said....on to the "next".

{hugs}

LB Interiors thanked avery2pt0
  • maureenroth
    8 years ago

So sorry to hear that they changed their minds LB. I'm sure it would have been lovely. Try and look on the bright side- think of what their HOA meetings must be like and be thankful you don't have to participate ;-)

LB Interiors thanked maureenroth
  • User
    8 years ago

Hi, avery2pt0, can you message me?

• glschisler
    8 years ago
    Hi LB, so disappointed the HOA is disorganized. Ours asked for a few volunteers to be the decorating committee. They made the initial decisions with the help of a decorator, to present to the board. They were also given a budget. It worked out well. We are self managed as we got rid rental/property managers. CDR is correct that buyers look for updated environments. The lobby area is a very important first impression. Hopefully, they will come around soon.
    LB Interiors thanked glschisler
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Roxsol thank you. It is difficult to have a vision and know that you will not see it in reality.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Babo thanks for missing me. Sadly, I've missed seeing all of you for a long time.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mark, thank you. those are my thoughts too. I think they will try to recreate some of it, thinking it will be less money. For sure, I know they can't. I've done too much research. Including Craigslist furniture that is rare to find items with quality and low prices, let alone knowing what can work together. It will most likely be a challenge for them. Then with all different viewpoints and tastes. Looking at it, I'm glad I'm not involved. Just for a few of the things they agreed upon. I gave them great choices, and without any up charges besides. Style changes won't even matter. It's the way it needs to blend and come together. What does matter is the colors of the items they might select. I agree, I'm quite sure it will be a lot of effort, disagreements and will still not come close to the overall feeling of the space.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you CDR. All the tenants own their own condo. There are no vacancies. They actually own their units and there is no landlord. You are right, if someone sells, new buyers will find this building uncared for, run down and not inviting. It truly has a reflection on who they are.

Judging by the ages of many of the tenants, I leared that some have been there a long time. They are kind of stuck in old thinking and seems like they just want to repeat the same bare look, trying to achieve an inviting space without finishing it with things that are minimally necessary to achieve what they really want. My feeling is that it will not happen.

Thank you again for the nice words about the renderings. I asked the HOA President, 'why did they think they needed my help in the first place?" He did not know it would be this result and has no idea their thinking. He's not getting them either. At least I know he was understanding me and totally got my purpose and reasoning and wanted me to just do it. So that alone makes me feel that I'm not out of line or crazy. I'm okay.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Natalie, thank you so much for your wishes and very nice words. I'm actually pondering that it might be a blessing in disguise.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Avery, today is when I actually feel more like' onward and upward'. Thanks for your support. I am enjoying my break from the long hours and the intensity of trying to do the best I could. It is a bit of a relief. Too many weeks between their meetings (not including me) and no progress along the way since August.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Maureen. I've missed you for a long time. Thank you. I'm actually feeling thankful that I don't have to try to sell myself or ideas. I know there would not be enough agreement anyway. The one and only time I met with 5 male board members, was proof. They all had different needs and tastes. The President and I were on the same page all along. I am grateful for that. It makes up for the rest of it. He was so frustrated with them. He wants to step down and I don't blame him. We were both in the same sinking boat.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Linda. These owners are self management too. They do not have any managers at all. I really also think that the President is too too nice and needs to be a bit stronger in his approach with the other board members. He has mentioned what he wants to say to them, but knowing him, I'm thinking he actually can't bring himself to be a bit more authoritative. And now he doesn't care. He works full time and is in school for PHD.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Ann. I looked forward to reading your thread everyday, in trying to find time to keep caught up. It helped me take a break for some fun and camaraderie. It kept me sane :)

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    8 years ago

With this additional information, I do think this could be a blessing in disguise. As someone mentioned, with the number of homeowners, the appropriate steps would be 1) an information gathering meeting with all owners to gather input into why they want an update, if they want an update and what they look for in an update 2) a committee chosen with a committee head 3) committee research 4) committee reports back with 2-3 choices 4) homeowners vote on final choices.

Something like that.

If I were you, if they called me back, I would go ahead only if I had a clear designation of one person with whom I would be working (committee head, for example) and a clear designation of of the goals.

LB Interiors thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • Ann
    8 years ago

LB, HOAs and committees can be so challenging! As you know, I love gardening and when we moved in here, I joined the landscape committee. After a few years, I gave up and focused on my own yard. It seemed nothing could get accomplished on the committee. It'll be very nice to have you back on Houzz!

Avery, nice to see you back on Houzz! Hope your living room is coming along nicely and your family is well! Well, at least I'm assuming you're the same Avery:)

LB Interiors thanked Ann
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    Original Author
    8 years ago

CDR, I was led to believe that the President was in more control of this situation. And that whatever their method is, was to be more simplified. He is also trying to protect himself from a law suit as he has mentioned.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    8 years ago

Oh boy. In hindsight, I think you are blessed to not be involved.

LB Interiors thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • rredpenn
    8 years ago

Aw, your design for the place was beautiful. It looked way more inviting, and useful, than the lumpy old couches. I can imagine your frustration.

Chalk it up to experience. Lesson learned. HOA's are the worst kind of entity to try and get on board with a project like this for exactly the reasons you've mentioned. Unless the group signs over all the decision making to one member... A lawsuit, though? Really? Sheesh.

Think of this breakup now as protecting yourself and be glad it didn't come to that.

LB Interiors thanked rredpenn
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    Original Author
    8 years ago

CDR, I'm really quite satisfied, since a week has gone by to digest this outcome. I'm relieved. I was beginning to feel I was up against a block wall. I know I did my best for all their requirements.

I'm very happy I handled it the way I did. Retainers received first before any work. The let down pops in once in awhile. But will pass. I'm a positive person and do not dwell on mishaps. I push forward with looking toward a new adventure.

Thanks everyone for your support and kindness. We all need that now and then . Thank you all !!!

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Rred. I told them, the lobby was not used much because it was 'not inviting'. It looked like they were moving in or moving out.

• avery2pt0
    8 years ago

Hi Ann! Yes, it's me....the same old Avery ;-) so good to see you on here too! LR/Kitchen/Nook project has now morphed to the LR/K/N/DR/Foyer project. So if you can only imagine....ha! I'll post more info (eventually) as to where we're at. There's been a couple of "game-changers"......which I promise to share with you soon.

• avery2pt0
    8 years ago

@LB, "onward and upward"....so glad to hear that's how you're feeling now. :-)

Stay positive my friend and just know that bigger and better is just around the corner!

• User
    8 years ago

As a long time HOA resident and board member, I think it is foolish to involve the homeowners at large in design projects. Most aren't even interested in the financial security of the common area. Get a committee, come up with a couple of options, present it to the board for decision and approval. The end.

I was in charge of an exterior paint job at one point. It took two years before completion. One member of the committee actually produced samples that bordered on purple. Fortunately, we hired a paint consultant and she was able to get the various personalities on track. The end result was beautiful for our environment and we all learned a lot about getting projects done. Involving people who haven't done the research just leads to discord.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Adivra. I was feeling that would be what I was facing too. Not my cup of tea. I move too fast. Slowing down to a halt is not comfortable :).

They planned on having me design the 2nd & 3rd floor lobbies later, that were not in the original beginning plan. Then changed it to eliminating Main Floor suggestions and adding 2nd & 3rd floor walls & flooring in the mix. And this was after the contractor estimates for only the Main Lobby. Then after 2nd & 3rd floor lobbies, possibility of designing the 6 hallways to their units. So who knows if they will want my input for the future. This could turn into years.

• User
    8 years ago

Avery, please message me.

• avery2pt0
    8 years ago

Hi Chook! So good to see you! Ok....will send you a message later on today.... :-)

hope you're doing well!

• User
    8 years ago

I'm good, very busy with the Yearbook, with other Houzzers, plus I've roped in my family!

• TraceyE
    8 years ago

LB it's great you are feeling the onward and upward vibe......I am so glad you will have more time to play with us on Houzz now :)

LB Interiors thanked TraceyE
  • avery2pt0
    8 years ago

Hi Tracey! :-)))

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Tracey. I hope I can check in now and then. I don't accomplish much when I'm on Houzz. Hubby really hates to see me on.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have recently learned that the members will be concentrating on the demolition first . Naturally, the furniture and decorating will be later. They seem to still be open to some help when the time comes. I said I would be available if they still wanted my input. That's a positive.

• TraceyE
    8 years ago

@Avery2pt0

Hello :) Great to see you back!

• TraceyE
    8 years ago

Oh LB that sounds positive- fingers crossed it all goes well

• Sally VanV
    5 years ago

Homeowners associations are very difficult. It’s hard to get varying tastes and budgets to agree to move foreword. There’s always a group who thinks they can do it cheaper or better. The most successful projects are those where the board hires the designer, makes the decision and gets it done. The more homeowners involved, the less likely anything (good) will happen.

LB Interiors thanked Sally VanV
  • Sally VanV
    5 years ago

Continue getting paid in advance for your hours so you are not being used for free advice. Then ask yourself if you truly want this job.