Software
Houzz Logo Print
nathan_yates

Need help with floorplan / costs / construction / layout.

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

So I am planning on building a 1 story house with a full finished basement. The basement has a laundry room, utilities, a master suite, a storage room, and a big gym / rec area. I am more or less content with the downstairs, but am having some trouble with the main floor.

The main things I am concerned about are the costs (I'd like to keep them as low as possible as I am a firefighter/paramedic and don't have doctor or engineer style money). I tried to keep the corners to a minimum, and made sure nothing had more than a 16' span from the stairwell to the outer wall.

In the plan, I just put "furniture" in the rooms to denote what the room is. Bedroom, Bath, Kitchen, etc.

If anyone has any experience with home building and can think of any ways I can reduce cost or improve the layout, I would love to hear your ideas. Thank you so much for your time.

Comments (4)

  • 10 years ago

    This is mostly "bump" to get some other people to comment.

    I don't think this house would have a lot of resale value. It's 'a start' though. Who is going to live here? Couple? Growing family? Seniors? Where are you building? (General area; Climate.) Is North at the top of your layout? What are your lot limitations?

    Few people want a master suite in a basement, even a walk-out basement. Few want a basement laundry.

    Most people like some separation between an entry door and the living area. They also want a 'back hall' between the family entry (usually garage) and the kitchen/rest of the house -- this usually has closets and often laundry and half bath.

    Interior spaces are good for closets. Exterior rooms can then have more natural light from windows.


  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Thank you so much for the critique. I reworked the layout, trying to keep what you said in mind, and came up with the following:


    It ends up being about the same square feet finished, but a smaller footprint with it being a 2 story + basement.

    This will be in Virginia. The lot is yet to be purchased, but is just under an acre, elevation drop from front to back of about 10 feet. House would face north. So the bottom of the picture is north.

    This house is for myself and wife. No kids will be had. I may move in the future, so I really appreciate the suggestions regarding resale value. Also, the 2nd floor doesn't take up the whole footprint of the house + garage. How that works regarding the cheapest way to build a second story, or what looks best elevation wise, I have absolutely no idea on.

    Again, thank you so much for your time and thoughts.

  • 10 years ago

    Good progress. Eventually you'll take this to an architect who can see what you like. Good to have a southern exposure for the private rear of a home.

    This is a lot of house for two people. Do I see two master suites -- your hours are not always in sync? So...three bedrooms up plus a possible fourth (office) down?

    Could you live with one en suite w/bath upstairs plus and one hall bath to serve the guest room and the other large bedroom? (You don't want a 'tacked on' bathroom outside the general perimeter of the house.

    Suites work best if you don't have to walk across a bedroom between closet and bathroom. Closets and stairs can be interior because they don't *need* windows. (Your corner stairs would be a pretty feature with windows.)

    Do you need half bath or one with a shower near the gym area?



  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Thanks Chisue.

    It is kind of a lot of house for two I suppose. I definitely don't need the second master suite upstairs, I just thought it would be good for resale. (There aren't too many 3 bedroom houses in this area so I thought having 2 large rooms at least would be good)

    Really, upstairs, I just need a master with a good bath and closet, and 2 random other rooms that have access to a bathroom. Maybe Ill try a jack and jill style bath for those two.

    Ill see what I can do regarding re-working the upstairs. Maybe trim the fat on the sq ft up there.

    Downstairs, I could use a half bath, but it's not really a huge deal. If it is good for resale value I can put one in.

    Edit: Revised Upper Floor: