Software
Houzz Logo Print
jswartz100

Kitchen Decorating Help!

10 years ago

Okay, so I'm pretty happy with the rest of my town home but when it comes to my kitchen it's just blah. The granite countertops and dark cabinets are not really my style (I like more of the gray, white and marble look) but they're pretty new and in good shape so we don't want to spend the money to replace them. With that being said, we need help sprucing up the kitchen. It's a little boring. We're considering doing a faux ship lap wall look or maybe a really subtle stencil design. It's small and since the cabinets are already dark, we need to keep the walls lighter. Any ideas?

Here's a pic of the rest of the space to give you an idea of style. We have a lot of dark blue, aqua, white and gray.

Comments (11)

  • 10 years ago

    How about a solid stainless backsplash? Then, you can paint the ceiling an accent color. That would add interest and style.

    Jen Herter thanked Darzy
  • 10 years ago

    That might be a cool option. I hadn't considered that. Thanks!

  • 10 years ago
    Not a fan of a stainless backsplash. I can't imagine that a stainless backsplash is easy to keep clean.
    I think a nice warm backsplash with dimension- different tiles would add interest and a Roman shade with a little color.
    Jen Herter thanked kchaps
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I think you could keep your cabinets, but just change out the countertops to carrara and really improve the appearance of your kitchen. Maybe remove the wing walls into the kitchen or at least one of them.

    I would also do carrara backsplash


    Jen Herter thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 10 years ago

    You could remove the panels in some of the doors and replace with glass - clear, frosted - there are many choices.

    If you have enough storage, you can remove one cabinet and replace with shelving to display a few items that reflect your personality - maybe even picking up the blues and teals you like. Think twice before you opt for too much shelving as some love it, but some find it a chore to keep clean, especially if storing dishes.

    I like a pretty hood - for your to do that you would have to relocate the microwave, and that might not be feasible. You might be able to retrofit a microwave shelf into another cabinet - put a wine rack above to fill in the extra space. I am not sure about shiplap - you can always try:) In a kitchen, I often think of using tile. You can remove the 4 inch granite backsplash and tile up a wall.

    Nothing helps brighten up a kitchen as much as under cabinet lighting - especially in winter. I have a new hood with a bright light and new under cabinet lighting in my main prep area and it has brightened my kitchen so much - and I have wood cabinets:)





    True North Cabinets · More Info

    Jen Herter thanked jhmarie
  • 10 years ago

    I wouldn't do a stainless steel backsplash either - I consider the kitchen a medium dark, not dark; for a backsplash I would pull out the lighter shades of grey or darker grey from the granite, install 6" x 2" (approx) like Toronto's Olympia Tile "Linen" in 'charcoal grey' tile which has a lovely texture and is dark greenish grey, and use same colour grout as the glass tile; instal the tiles stacked in rows. Easy maintenance. Very chic. I would not install ceramic tiles so as not to have too many focal points; granite or caesarstone counters are usually the main focal point in a nice kitchen, and the backsplash their complementary feature.

    HOWEVER the biggest issue here is it's use of improper lighting: use 2700 Kelvin LED bulbs in the ceiling!! Bright & warm (not cool lights) this will make all if not a huge difference as well as some under cabinet lighting - xenon lights here will counterbalance beautifully with 2700K LED's at 1/4 the price of under mount LED's. Proper lighting is the most difficult thing to learn, but reduces eye fatigue and improves enjoyment in any room. How many? one to the L & R each of the sink & stove, and one to the L of the fridge. The under mount lights would have their own switch. When you have company at the table you would keep these lights on + the light on Low from the OT microwave, ceiling lights off. Lovely atmosphere! Light!

    Jen Herter thanked Annette Lauer
  • 10 years ago

    How about painting the walls aqua?

    Jen Herter thanked Tems
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks guys for all the suggestions! Unfortunately I can't remove any of the cabinets because I run a cookie business out of my house and need the storage. I might try switching out a couple of the doors to glass though. If I were to add a more subtle backsplash do you think it would look funny if we start it right above the 4" granite lip we've got? Or do you think we would have to remove the granite lip first?

  • 10 years ago

    If you do an image search of "backsplash on top of granite backsplash" you will get some images - so yes people do it. Kitchen designers will tell people doing a new kitchen not to do it and not having the 4 inch piece is preferred. Here is a forum thread from John Bridge Tile forum on removing the piece should you decide to do that.

    http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=83341

    I understand needing the storage. I have a small kitchen, but one glass corner door and a plate rail cabinet - both I love. The great cooks always like open shelving - but I'm not a great cook.

    Martha:

    Julia Child's kitchen in her cottage in France:

    (via Hooked on Houses: http://hookedonhouses.net/2015/11/24/julia-childs-charming-french-cottage-for-sale-in-provence/)

    I could never take all that open shelving!

    Under cabinet lighting can be expensive. If you cook a lot you will want it. Mine is a DIY using LED under cabinet strips in tracks. they plug into each other and then into the wall. Right now the plug shows, but I am going to have some work done next spring and see if I can have one outlet put under the cabinets with a switch so I can plug the light in unseen. The cost of my set up was $65 (three tracks under the 5 doors running around the corner). Having it professionally installed with a nice wall switch can get pricey.

    My kitchen is very old fashion - but I like a vintage vibe - and it is a work in progress:) This shows the under cabinet lighting.

    Also - I like my plates on the soffit. For you, something more modern and colorful:


    Giada, Dinner Plate · More Info

    Jen Herter thanked jhmarie
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I happen to have a ctering business and I do not like open shelving all it is is a dust collector I would remove the granite backsplash and do a glass subway tile with some under cabinet lighting.

    Jen Herter thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting