Shop Products
kenny_adams80

Converting small bedroom to a formal dining room?

On my first floor, there is a 9x9 bedroom in the hallway. I'm considering making this a formal dining room (the current dining room is really an eat-in kitchen separated from the prep area by a peninsula countertop; traffic space is needed for entry to the stairs & kitchen so available space is realistically smaller than 8x11 listed). Eventually I'd replace the doorway into the 9x9 room with a larger opening, maybe bifold French doors if there's room. The closet would be converted to a built-in storage unit/china cabinet/hutch.

Any input on this? Is it too far from the kitchen? Will the setup be awkward? What's the traditional approach/rules of thumb with kitchen-to-dining room flow? I keep imagining people would have to walk too far to transport food from kitchen to dining room (I could incorporate a buffet/serving area to the built-in unit replacing the closet?), and too little space around the table.

Aside from the flow from the kitchen to the dining room, consider how many people you plan to entertain in the new space. A 9X9 room seems tight for a "traditional" dining room, which are spaced generously.

Here's a article from another "Houzzer" that might help answer some of your questions (be sure to scroll down to "square dining rooms"):

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/key-measurements-for-planning-the-perfect-dining-room-stsetivw-vs~25889832

Best of luck!

Kenny Adams thanked Bellweather Design-Build, LLC
  • 8 years ago

The sunroom is just a breezeway or mudroom, it does not get heated (I live in New England) and connects to the garage. That would be a more preferable location relative to the kitchen but a bigger project than I'm willing to commit to (adding heating, proper exterior walls/insulation, etc).

• 8 years ago

Another option I'm considering is eventually renovating the kitchen, which would involve relocating the refrigerator (more traffic space from the entryway), eliminating the peninsula, and adding an island. This opens up that dining area significantly. It might we worth waiting to do that and re-purposing the 9x9 room some other way.

• 8 years ago

If you ever plan to sell this home, you'd be wise to keep the bedroom as is. Real estate market for 2-bdrm homes is poor. Three is the minimum.

• 8 years ago

Our old neighbors did this with one of three bedrooms on their upper level. They tore out the entire wall including the closet. The two exterior corners of the closet wall remained as support.

A new family with more children recently bought the house and they just had the wall rebuilt and added the closet back. Both sides of the project were more than standard DIY but both happened fairly quickly.

Hi there, I would take down the wall between the Living room and the 9x9 bedroom giving you one nice open space with great flow between the areas. Open entryway to kitchen as much as you can, and trim it out nicely.

Another option is to combine existing kitchen space and sunroom area and create a brand new kitchen. If so, keep it mostly open to LR. using architecture such as columns for definition of space. Use slate for flooring with radiant heat......so toasty for those CT winters!

Enjoy! Barbara Brown Interiors, Inc

• 8 years ago

Wondering if your neighbors had to concede anything on the price due to the necessary remodeling.

• 8 years ago

Not to my knowledge decoenthusiate. The house has sold twice in the past 10 years and the prices seemed to be similar with the comps of other houses in the neighborhood at the time.

• 8 years ago

Well, in that case I agree with the advice Barbara Brown gave.

• 8 years ago

I like the ideas presented. Opening up the living room wall, if it is load bearing you can install a beam in the ceiling or just make a very long opening and eliminate the penninsula and install an island parallel to the stove/cooktop bank of cabinets. Another option would be to bump out the window over the sink and also bump out the wall where the windows are in the eat in kitchen; it will give you more movement in the house.

Enclosing the sun room is not a difficult option. Insulation, framing two walls, adding a heat duct; looks like you could reuse the existing windows and it would open up the kitchen substantially.

• 8 years ago
    @decoenthusiaste, I have another three bedrooms upstairs, so no shortage of bedrooms for resale! I think everyone's advice to open the floorplan is great. I've considered opening the living room into the kitchen/dining. The open space will be great and eliminate the issue of traffic leading into the kitchen through the one doorway. I appreciate all the discussion here
  • 8 years ago
  • 8 years ago

Well, please show us the reno pix when you're done!