Software
Houzz Logo Print
ihjonsan

Table too small?

10 years ago
Please help with advice on the table in this space. Can I get away with it or is it ridiculous looking? If I do keep what to put by Windows? Furniture? Rug? Will be doing sheer curtains on sliding glass door. Shoul I do same for Windows? Please help

Comments (22)

  • 10 years ago
    Well first of all, how many people are you wanting to be seated at the table?
  • 10 years ago
    I will get back with you about some other design ideas! What style are you wanting your dinning/breakfast nook to be? By the way I LOVE your flooring!!!
  • 10 years ago
    Quadruple posting. Check responses on the other one.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    love your floors too !! could you tell me the source please :)

    xoxo eva @ MONARCH SOFAS

    CLICK HERE TO VIEW HUNDREDS OF CUSTOM SOFA AND SECTIONAL PROJECTS


    KENZIE STYLE - Chesterfield Custom Sectional Sofas · More Info

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    area rug.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Great room -- bright w/plenty of natural light.

    Not a fan of area rugs cluttering up great spaces with beautiful floors so would not agree with that suggestion by some as a first option to change the visual for the room.

    As long as you don't need to seat more than six on a regular basis, your table is visually fine for the space it is in IF you'd find a half dozen really comfortable chairs to set around it because they chairs will fill the "extra" space. Because your look is a modern contemporary, you might consider office conference chairs with wheels.

    A second option would be to turn the table so the ends are toward the kitchen and the window and finding a divider "stuff" / curio cabinet for defining the dining area as separate from the traffic path between the outside door and the kitchen.

    [http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/02/43/19/83/0002431983562_180X180.jpg]

    or with wheels if you want to use all solid doors and store stuff used for grilling be able to roll it outside via patio door when entertaining outdoors) or

    perhaps something similar to this:

    http://photo.foter.com/photos/pi/238/diy-entertainment-center-2-tall-burgsjo-bookcases-95-ea-2-short-bookcases-50-ea-and-glass-doors-set-of-2-for-35.jpg

    You could use the glass front doors for showing what you want displayed and/or solid doors for storing items seldom used and have shelves or drawers accessible from both sides, displaying kitchen/dining items or those candle holders, pretty vases, interesting candy dishes or cookie jars not currently in use for their intended purpose with glass doors facing the dining room and storing entertainment items out of sight behind solid doors on the other side.

  • 10 years ago
    The floor was from Daltile linden point in Grigio color.
  • 10 years ago
    On a regular basis will not be seating more than 6.
  • 10 years ago

    Beautiful home. To answer your question directly, yes the table looks too small. Additional chairs would help fill the space better. Consider a round table.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Hello


    I think the table is too small for the space. Either get a custom longer table or a round table.

    Rugs look great under dining tables but keep in mind the upkeep and the costs of cleaning it. I would base that decision on your family make up and age and if it's a pet household.


    Best of luck as your home is beautiful.

    If you need any other help let me know.

    Truly,
    KHB Interiors New Orleans

    You can do the sheers on both windows and doors.
  • 10 years ago
    Thanks. I just need to figure if it's worth shipping. Not sure what my options are with the table.
  • 10 years ago

    Keep the table. It's fabulous. So is the space. The right rug and accessories will make this space rock.

  • 10 years ago

    On your other thread, deco has suggested different bar stools and chairs. I don't agree. Keep the ones you have. You are on your way to a unique individual space.

  • 10 years ago

    No sheers on the windows in here.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    The table can't be any longer or the chandelier will not be centered over the table.

    I think once you get a rug, the chandelier & drapes hung, the table won't look so lost in the room.

  • 10 years ago

    Art and a rug are going to make a huge difference.



  • 10 years ago

    I think your furnishings are beautiful. However, I would suggest you get black curtains with tie-backs to emphasize the windows and contrast from the light colors in the room. For the narrow windows shown in the first photo, I would suggest you have a left panel on the left window and have it tied back to the left. Likewise, have a right panel on the right window and have it tied back to the right. For the larger window, I would suggest either one set of wide curtains OR a separate pair of panels for each window. I would suggest you change out the sliding doors for French doors, on which you can install sheers that are secured by flat rods above and below the glass section.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    YES, table is too small. Putting a large area rug underneath it will only highlight how small it is because you will see so much of the area rug around it. You’re home looks beautiful and I don’t think you should compromise. If you love the style of the table, but it doesn’t come bigger, check with a custom fabricator to have one made that is the right size. You will be amazed when the correct size table is in the space how you ever considered keeping this one.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    The size of your
    table should depend on the number of people who’ll sit there. As per your
    table, you can fill more chairs in it to cover up some space. Also, turn the
    table towards the kitchen. For your windows, you can add curtains fitting to
    the color of the interior of your house. You don’t need to add rugs to the
    floor because it will just cover your marvelous floor.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I think a more subtle approach for a rug, short of a sledge hammer, is in order for this space.



  • 10 years ago

    I think the rug helps with hiding that the table might need to be a little larger.