Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmarusen

Pet Friendly Flooring

John
8 years ago

Hello everyone. We are looking for a extremely durable floor that is pet friendly but with a high end look. Considering luxury vinyl plank. Any thoughts if we can achieve a product look with vinyl as in these pics?

Comments (21)

• Lisa O'Connor
    8 years ago

There is no perfect solution! Our dog avoided walking on laminate at all costs in our last house he found it really easy to skid out (think each leg sliding in a different direction). We currently have fir floors with a matte finish (the glossier the finish the more the scratches show); they are original to our house (100+ years old) fir is a pretty soft wood, so dents/scratches pretty easily we refinished most rooms with 6 coats, but got tired at the end and only did 4 or 5 in the living room which we now regret as it scratches way easier.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    8 years ago

"For pets" is a difficult answer. For scratches and "wear" (visible appearance) nothing beats ceramic and porcelain. For urine/bodily fluids, nothing beats a sheet product (vinyl or lino) or porcelain/ceramic sealed with silicone grout.

Planked vinyl comes in so many different finishes and that some do well with scratches...and others do not. As for urine...no plank product will stop urine from getting between the planks and causing permanent smell.

• John
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Who makes the best vinyl plank product? It's going into a furnished rental and I need to have a high-end look. Thanks

• PRO
    ULTIMATE HARDWOOD LTD
    8 years ago
    Site finished hardwood with Rubio is just about as life prof as your gonna get -period!
  • John
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Flooring is for a condo over concrete floors. Thats why I was trending toward vinyl plank. Along with the durability. I've heart the new products are miles ahead of the stuff from a few years ago.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    8 years ago

@John...please check with the condo board for acoustic requirements. Most vinyl floors are not allowed to have underpad. A few of them allow it...which would be a high end 1.2mm 'designed for vinyl underlayment' product that is only accessable to flooring professionals (you can't buy it off the shelf). Those underlayments may not get the acoustic ratings you need in a condo building.

Please get your condos requirements FIRST and then go shopping for a product that allows underpad AND reaches the acousics you MUST reach in the building (getting both sets of requirements = darn near impossible).

Vinyl is a tough go in condos...because they are loud. One of the few vinyl products that allows underpad/underlay = CoreTec (Plus) = 3mm cork underlay...which probably will NOT have the acoustics required for a high end building/rental.

John thanked Cancork Floor Inc.
  • John
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thanks guys. I'm on the condo strata council and I do not believe we have a specific flooring noise bylaw. The only think I could find was a requirement for felt pads under chairs.

Is there one manufacturer that makes a superior luxury vinyl plank product. It's a high end rental so we need a high end flooring product.

thanks

• susan2494
    8 years ago

I think it is wonderful that you are allowing pets. Nice to know that people understand that pet owners are clean, careful and responsible with their animals.

John thanked susan2494
  • Darzy
    8 years ago

Check out karndean vinyl wood planks. Click lock or glue down. Or, wood look porcelain tile.

John thanked Darzy
  • John
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Karndean is the best then?

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    8 years ago

Karndean is "THE" name in vinyl flooring. But they are having concerns with their lock system. For that reason the HIGH END INSTALLATION is the GLUE DOWN/permanent floor install. The flooring guys rave about the durability and look of the GLUED DOWN Karndean.

Remember: glue down is the HIGHEST GRADE for installation. If you are paying the extra for the install, then you might as well go all out with one of the best names in the business: Karndean glue down planks.

And remember: vinyl doesn't like direct sunlight...even the glue down has issues in direct sunlight. It gets so hot that the glue melts.

John thanked Cancork Floor Inc.
  • John
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the great advice. I'll check out the Karndean product.

• John
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The Mannington's Adura Distinctive Plank 'Acacia' looks pretty nice as well.

• PRO
    Flooret
    8 years ago

There are a lot of great looking vinyl plank products these days. Part of the consideration is durability (the thickness of the wear-layer. We recommend a minimum of 20 mil), and otherwise the design. Most vinyl plank comes at a maximum of 7" x 48, but there are some larger format options available that look really nice.

Check out Modin Vinyl Plank, which has the thickest wear-layer available (40 mil), and comes in 9" x 60". Here are some photos of styles that may work for you:

http://www.flooret.com/modin-vinyl-plank-flooring/

Arden Vinyl Plank Flooring - Wood Grain · More Info

Arden Vinyl Plank · More Info

Imber Vinyl Plank · More Info

John thanked Flooret
  • John
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Great. I'll look into that. Is it a click lock product?

• PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    8 years ago

I highly recommend these floating vinyl plank products before looking into a glue down product.

https://shawfloors.com/flooring/fundamentals/resilient/why-resilient/floorte-luxury-vinyl-flooring-collection

http://www.usfloorsllc.com/display-category/coretec-plus/

Everything you need to know is in the web links listed above.

John thanked Cinar Interiors, Inc.
  • Tiffany Barnes
    8 years ago

Karndean's glue down product is superb!! It looks amazing and holds up phenomenally.

John thanked Tiffany Barnes
  • PRO
    n/a n/a
    7 years ago

LVP has come a long way in recent years. Companies have really stepped up the design and functionality of these products. LVP has helped customers achieve beautiful flooring in areas of the home where hardwood, carpets and laminates wouldn't work. There now are glued down and clickable vinyl planks. For our glue down LVPs we use and love Karndean. Their products are amazing and do well in high traffic areas and with pets. US Floors COREtec is another great product. The COREtec line comes in a variety of colors and widths.

NOW, Armstrong flooring has come out with a new line and has revolutionized LVP with their Diamond 10 Technoloy. Vivero! It's stated that their Vivero line is virtually scratch and stain resistant. I found this video on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oejGUhmp7ys ... I hope this video makes you chuckle!

This video is a bit more serious and demonstrates the flooring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G0JBUFx_uo

Hope this helps! Feel free to check out our blog @ http://www.thecouturefloorcompany.com/blog.html

• PRO
    ULTIMATE HARDWOOD LTD
    7 years ago
    Rubio monocoat is ab excellent finish when it comes to pets. Easy to maintain.
  • F D
    5 years ago

I have Barnwood Rustic Pine CoreTec in my familyroom. I decided to use this product because I was told it was waterproof and pet proof, both of which I needed because I have a male dog that loves to mark. I am finding that it is hard to see where he went because it blends in and seems to soak in to the CoreTec panel. Has anyone else experienced this? I was going to use this in my kitchen when I remodel, but now I‘m thinking this product is not offering me the protection I expected.