Software
Houzz Logo Print
juneega

I need help with my exterior lights!

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

Hello,

I already purchased 8 of these downward lights to go both in my front and back exterior of my house and decided I want to make the two front lights in my front porch to have a dusk until dawn feature because I work call shifts in the middle of the night and want the lights on at night (my husband always forgets to keep the lights on!). Now my question is, would it look rather weird if the two lights on both sides of my garage does not match the two lights in my front porch? as they are both on the same front area of the house? The only lights I can get are those with glass so I can attach a photocell sensor because almost all motion sensing light are ugly. Here are the lights that I currently have in possession which I really love and I am not planning on changing!

And these are the lights I am planning to purchase, I was looking to find something that has the same farmhouse style with seeded glass feature. Which of these two would work best to match lighting above? Also, any other suggestions are welcome!

From Birch Lane

or these from Elk lighting

Please help! TIA

Comments (17)

  • 10 years ago
    Here is a picture of front of my house. We haven't installed lights yet but the first light on picture will go on both sides of garage and I'm looking to replace the lights facing the street in the currently non existing porch since we are still in Reno process.
  • 10 years ago

    How about this motion sensor light?

    Fallbrook 9" High Dusk to Dawn Motion Sensor Outdoor Light - #5Y111 | LampsPlus. · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    Two more:

    Franklin Smart Lighting 11"H Rub Bronze Outdoor Wall Light - #3G398 | LampsPlus. · More Info


    Barn 12" High Motion Sensor Solar LED Outdoor Wall Light - #5H193 | LampsPlus.co · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    I see what you mean but I also didn't want it to look like I'm trying to match the garage lights and couldn't get the same ones? I want a nicer light for the front porch and still coordinate it with the rest of my outdoor lights.
  • 10 years ago
    Did you buy your lights yet? I really like the first and second one. Motion sensor can be installed separately.
  • 10 years ago
    I haven't installed it yet but I ended up with this Remington wall light from Birch lane. Really beautiful! It's glass and it should be able to convert to dusk until dawn with an adapter, I hope!
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    they make an adapter that screws into the socket for dusk to dawn, you have clear glass so it will work great.

  • 10 years ago
    What about a programable light switch. You can get them at Lowes/home depot. You program it once. And it goes on and off on its own.
    Great choice of light.
  • 10 years ago
    Yes that's exactly why we went with these lights. Oh I'm so excited to hang them! Yes I have a professional electrician to do it for us!
  • 10 years ago
    Thank you! What do you call them? just a switch on the wall that has time sensor or alarm?thats great idea that way I can keep the Edison bulb size the way it is!
  • 10 years ago

    Here's an article about installing a remote motion sensor, should you want to go for that option.

  • 10 years ago

    I love the lights you picked for the doorway and the other ones are different style. You made a statement and I love it !

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    folw your hart it wil tell wat you need

  • 10 years ago

    If you can return any lights you have bought, consider doing so and get all the same kind -- the ones you like best.

    My thinking is that as long as all the lights on the same side of the house visible at the same time have the same metal finish and as long as all the lights on any one length of wall are the same, they'll probably not look out of place. I note your home is "L" shaped, you should be able to use four different pairs of lights with the same finish -- one on each length of wall. The one exception is in that inside corner if two lights are different and close together.

  • 10 years ago
    Hi, I actually bought 4 of the Remington birch lane lights for all front facing part of the house. I have 6 on the back of the house that are the regular bell in bronze since I do not need that to be disk until dawn and it won't be sign in the front.
  • 10 years ago
    Yes I think it would look weird