Software
Houzz Logo Print
nictrem

Wondering if inherited lawyer bookshelves go with my house design?

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

I have decorated my 1,700 sq ft house in clean modern lines but my lovely 85 year old aunt wants to give me her gorgeous oak lawyer bookshelves (AND all the books they contain!) Can a traditional bookshelf fit in a modern decor?

Comments (22)

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    One would need to see pictures of the bookshelves and space to give you a professional opinion. However, this project photo of ours might give you some ideas.


    An Affordable Facelift · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    At this time in my life I buy things for my home that I love, that are of good quality, and that are American made. That usually means the furniture is vintage. It sounds to me like that is exactly what your aunt is trying to give you. If you love it, take it, and find a place for it. I don't think that you'll ever be sorry that you did.

  • 10 years ago

    Lawyer bookcases are beautiful.

    There is no doubt they would be a wonderful inclusion in any style home decor.

    The current move is away from loading bookcases with books though. I suggest that you choose sparingly from the assorted collection and rotate out favorites in lieu of others periodically. Then decorate the shelves with other objects that fit within your decor.

    Utilizing a simple artistic display works well.



  • 10 years ago

    The "move is away from books" for the same reason that mirrors are more popular than art -- people just don't own books and art like they once did (or they're more nervous about having the "wrong" taste). If you've got 'em, put 'em in the bookcase! :)

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks everyone for your comments. The book shelves are in Saskatchewan and I am in Calgary so I will post similar shelves from the internet. I painted my 1960's fireplace red. I will have my floors redone in a natural, almost bleached shade. The family portrait I painted based on the style of Norval Morriseau has since been framed in black.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    ACM I'm with you on that but it seems "large" "simple" "sparse" is the new norm. I miss the days when your personality could show in your things...like art...and books...and collectibles. These days even eclectic and bohemian styles are so well ordered.

    Nick nothing can stop you from painting them in a multicolored fashion too.

  • 10 years ago

    Lucidos, I love books. We read a lot in our family but I also like your idea of interspersing books with interesting pieces. I have done that in my family room where my art studio is. There are many modern bookshelves there but as my husband and son work in film and television, and my daughter in animation, there are many interesting photos and cameras, etc. in the cases.

  • 10 years ago

    acm, I agree with you! I love to put up whatever I love. My own art, my daughter's work, photographs, objects and photos from my family's past, antique lacrosse sticks (my son plays), etc. And books!

  • 10 years ago

    nictrem, based on your last comment, I would definitely accept her gracious gift if it's a piece that you love. The included books might be a little tougher since you already have a collection that is meaningful to you.

    Our style is also generally contemporary - clean lines and fairly simple. But we also have a legal bookcase like the one you pictured, an antique edison phonograph and a wooden rocker - all family heirloom pieces. Most of the decorative items in our house are things we chose because we love or are special momentos. Some mesh with the modernish style, others not so much. But it's us, so who cares?

    For me, I'd rather walk into a room and feel like "nicrem lives here! I can see it everywhere" rather than "this room was decorated in a modern style". I'm probably not explaining that well but hopefully you get my drift.


  • 10 years ago

    I love your comment, onthefence! I do believe this is exactly how I feel and I guess I just needed confirmation. I think we will make the bookshelves our own. As for the books, after I've read them, I will give them away and keep those I will read again. :-D


  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Painting the bookcases may be sacrilege, but will certainly help maintain the contemporary look.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Treat them like a piece of art.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    To help you envision what they could feel like lined up and painted, there was a posting not very long ago [https://www.houzz.com/discussions/point-view-project-dsvw-vd~3569565[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/point-view-project-dsvw-vd~3569565) and the after photo may be an inspiration. The books could be sorted through and save your favorites. My only thought was that if you have to ship from Sask to Alta, if the costs/trouble is worth it for you. Funny you should mention Norval Morriseau, I have Brid Family limited edition, which I love and some other original native art which is so vibrant in a room, as yours is.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Yes! Paint the bookcases a shiny white and the backs a softer color which goes with the rest of your house. Then wrap all the books in white gift wrap.

    Nicole thanked JudyG Designs
  • 10 years ago

    Maureen, your room is so beautiful! The oak of the bookshelves is so rich and from the 1920's, not tacky at all as oak can often be. They are dark enough I do believe I can keep them as is. I love native art and am known as "a wanna be". I have a gorgeous collection of antique lacrosse sticks. As my husband works in film and because we live in Alberta, he has worked on many a cowboy period piece, we have props from movies that are Native pieces. I am French-Canadian so also have "ceintures fleches", Hudson Bay blankets, "les bonhommes jigeurs", old skis from the turn of the century, etc. The also made a Salish oar in a workshop with an elder. The more I think about it, the more the bookshelves will work super well if I do it right.

  • 10 years ago

    Nicole, the more you describe your rooms, the more perfect the bookshelf is feeling!

    I do agree about the tone of the wood. Ours is almost identical to the one you've pictured including the metal connector bands on the side. The grain of the wood and the patina is just very different than the oak we've all seen over the past 30 or so years.


    Does yours have the legs as pictured or is it on the flat base like this? http://gendronantiques.com/Portals/Gendron/Gallery/Album/96/antique%20barrister%20bookcase%20four%20sections%20oak.JPG

  • 10 years ago
    We use ours for storing crystal wine glasses.
  • 10 years ago

    Hi Onthefence. Yes, this is exactly what they are like only taller. They truly are spectacular and have great sentimental value. I think I will take pics and post them here when I get them this summer.

  • 10 years ago

    Onthefence, I just looked at your idea books and love your taste! I do believe I will be following you if you don't mind. I am in Calgary, Alberta. Do you mind if I ask where you are?


  • 10 years ago
    If the lawyer bookcases contain old lawyer books, and you don't want them, try donating them to a local library (especially a rural one). Another option is to sell them - they are often used to decorate bookshelves. The question you have not answered is whether the bookcases MEAN anything to you. If they don't and you have another relative that wants them and your aunt has something which means something to you - then discuss it. I have nieces and I'm getting rid of stuff - my preference would be to give them an item they love rather than stick them with inheritance guilt.
  • 10 years ago

    Hello bellburgmaggie. I will sort through the books and take those I won't take, or my cousins won't take, to the local, rural library. I LOVE those bookshelves. They remind me so much of my grandma and my aunt. I know my cousins would love them, too only they live down east. Too far and expensive to ship. Yes, inheritance guilt seems to be "a thing" these days. My aunt is so thoughtful, she insists I only take things I actually want.