Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrbig1225

I need back splash help

Shaun Dotson
8 years ago
Hello all im installing Dekton Aura in my home in the next few weeks. My cabinets are expresso im looking for a back splash that would compliment the cabinets and the new countertops. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (46)

• tooky58
    8 years ago

What about a pale green tile to lighten up things up a little. The cabinets & counters are lovely but I think you need to add a lighter accent.

• everdebz
    8 years ago

Is that photo of new Dekton?

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    8 years ago
    Whatever you decide for backsplash have your electrical outlets moved to underneath the upper counters...backsplash will look better and not have white outlets sticking out like sore thumbs that way
  • livinginsb
    8 years ago
    Brandi, it won't meet code
  • Becca Davis
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

EDIT: Did not know the countertops were light in color!
    Love these geometric backsplashes.

Open-Plan Kitchen Diner Extension · More Info

History is in the details · More Info

• Shaun Dotson
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks so much for all your comments, just to answer a few. the dekton is not installed yet. The images that are posted is the look of my kitchen currently. Attached is the slab I will be installing
  • Shaun Dotson
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @Becca, you dont think the dark back splash would take away from the lighter color counters?
  • Hamadi Price
    8 years ago
    I say with your light gray and white counter tops, do a gray glass subway tile or white subway tile with gray grouting!
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

You can get colored plugs and plates from Renu leviton they are great.I would change your wall color it has no connection to what you are doing in the kictchen and then choosing a backsplash will be easier yournew counter and that color don’t work at all IMO and get rid of that hideous flourescent light even a simple LED track light would be a lot betterand do not do the 4” strip of counter material up the wall. A large format white subway tile would work but I still think the wall color has to change first.

• Becca Davis
    8 years ago

@Shaun I was going off of the pictures that were shown. OP did not mention new countertop color till a couple hours after I posted ;)

• Shaun Dotson
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @Patricia yes the florescent light fixture is horrible and will be replaced!! I must disagree on the wall color however. Maybe its just the camera but the wall is an off white neutral color it does look biege is the images.
  • Mortgage Jake
    8 years ago
    How about a bronzed mirror backsplash?

It would be different then tile and add a lot of size to the room through reflection.
  • Shaun Dotson
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @Jake do you have any images? Need to get an idea.
  • Shaun Dotson
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I was thinking of this as a back splash.... any thoughts?
  • Mortgage Jake
    8 years ago
    If you search bronzed mirror backsplash it would give you the idea.

However if plugs are in the way then that might not work.

I like running the slab up too.
  • arvilla_trag
    8 years ago
    You can get strips of outlets, spaced 6" or 12" apart, specifically meant to tuck up under the wall cabinets and above the backsplash. I used them in my last kitchen remodel, saved butchering expensive backsplash tile & maintained an uninterrupted look.
  • Shaun Dotson
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @jake.... love it. Does the home Depot sell that? My only other concern is the wall outlets and keeping them clean
  • Mortgage Jake
    8 years ago
    Don't know where you live but not sure Home Depot would
  • User
    8 years ago

Up under the cabinets is a great look for outlets, but not the easiest to use from a practical standpoint. JMO.

• Shaun Dotson
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @jake im in houston
  • Shaun Dotson
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    What about this?
  • arvilla_trag
    8 years ago
    Amazon sells the under cabinet outlet strips.
  • PRO
    Robinson Home and Garden
    8 years ago

I like Shaun D's suggestion of the tiles under the cab. In your Kitchen I would use the transclucent/ transparent glass tiles 1x1 or 1x2 inch something like these below. We blended a few different tiles and created some patterns Many companies will make something similar. The glass will give it a little bling, and I would add some under cabinet lighting to compliment and blend the counter with the backsplash but it's not necessary. The lights in this unit are Puck type halogen... not my fav, but ok, there are diff/better ones out there. This might give you some ideas about some color and textures in that space. You are right it needs some back splash ... make it SPLASH! RobinsonHomeAndGarden.com

RobinsonHomeAndGarden

• Shaun Dotson
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Randy thanks for the suggestion would the tiles you suggested go with a white and grey counter?
  • Shaun Dotson
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I decided to go with this http://thd.co/1oqeCno
  • PRO
    Robinson Home and Garden
    8 years ago

Those look good Shaun try to get the grout color to match the tile as close as you can. my only other advise. I think HD has gray electrical accessories, switches , covers etc. Do you have a pic of the Kitchen? ok take care

• Shaun Dotson
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @Randy see attached. This is my current kitchen before the counters or backsplash. Ive attached the slab that I will be installing
  • Shaun Dotson
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Well the progress has begun
  • Shaun Dotson
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    so it begins
  • Shaun Dotson
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    whatcha think
  • Shaun Dotson
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    all done
  • classysass
    8 years ago
    Looks really nice. Glad you didn't do those ugly mosaic gray tiles. Awful.
  • Shaun Dotson
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I'm glad as well
  • kayleesmimi
    8 years ago

It looks great. I think the backsplash you used is just right.

• Shaun Dotson
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    thanks wasn't sure but I like the end result. floors next
  • Hamadi Price
    8 years ago
    Beautiful! Nice light gray paint on the walls!
  • Shaun Dotson
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    here is another
  • poshky
    8 years ago
    I think it looks really nice!
  • Shaun Dotson
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks
  • PRO
    Andrea Osborne
    8 years ago
    I think changing the paint color would make a huge difference! Also glad the floors are next, carpet is too bla, I think a beautiful large format tile would be fantastic! Keep it in the lighter cool neutral tone and not too much of a pattern be oar it will take away from the beautiful countertop... Perhaps a wood look neutral without a lot of grain and in a herringbone pattern, grout the same color as the tile, or close to it. Good luck!
  • Shaun Dotson
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks Andrea was looking at some neutral wood
  • PRO
    Andrea Osborne
    8 years ago
    I'm building my first home...
    Have owned a 1920's bungalow. But was ready to take the plunge into designing and building myself. It's been fun and stressful but exciting as well! Currently I'm working on the master bath it's 12'x8' so not large. But I've managed to design a nice walk in shower, a free standing tub and a 5'vanity. The shower is ready for the thin set than the Keri. I'll take a pic of my progress tomorrow and send if interested.
  • Shaun Dotson
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    nice congrats. ... would love to see them
  • PRO
    Darla Scheuerman
    8 years ago
    Something like this with a silver/gray grout.