Software
Houzz Logo Print
cometfarley

Need Idea For Mail Sorter

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

I would appreciate suggestions for other uses for the built-in mail sorter in our kitchen cabinets. I had used them to store cookbooks, but would like something more decorative.


Comments (41)

  • 10 years ago

    I would prob place 3 slim white (or cream) vases on the left side, and then 2 matching bowls on the right side. Very clean-looking and minimalist... : )

  • 10 years ago

    Wow, such a simple idea and I love it. Thank you.

  • 10 years ago

    You're welcome! Sometimes simple is best : )

  • 10 years ago

    Here are the vases and bowls I had quickly on hand. I think it works. Do you also have a suggestion for replacing the stool. No one sits there, I was just trying to fill the spot.

  • 10 years ago

    Yes those look perfect! I think I would replace the white stool with a bench (either iron or wood) with simple lines (no scrolly nonsense) that will sort of just blend into the desk area. Is this like a separate pantry area of the kitchen?

    Comet thanked tgb1
  • 10 years ago

    Another thing that's kind of fussy but will neaten things even further, could you switch the positions of the Keurig and the biscuit jar? That way you will be covering the cord better. You could also do an iron stand with some white coffee mugs, not sure how much coffee action your house sees : )) , or maybe your mugs are in the upper cabinets, which is even better...

  • 10 years ago

    Yes I agree a darker stool would be better. Yes it is a little space in the kitchen that was originally a desk area when the house was built in 2004. The biscuit jar can be removed and put in the pantry out of sight. We just replaced the backsplash to this lighter color from a dark tile. I have a coffee cup rack as you describe but I found the space to feel cluttered. The Keurig is the only small appliance left out in my kitchen because it gets daily use. I like the spacious feeling of empty counter tops but I may have crossed the fine line between spacious and blah.

  • 10 years ago

    It's definitely not blah! I love empty countertops also! Please leave the biscuit jar tthere if it has dog biscuits in it : ) Your new backsplash is beautiful!

    Comet thanked tgb1
  • 10 years ago

    Love the vases and bowls...what a quick fix! If you never sit in that area consider a big basket instead. You could stencil something on the front for interest??

  • 10 years ago

    Something like this??

  • 10 years ago
    Basket are an interesting idea. Thank you.
  • 10 years ago
    I really don't think those are for mail sorting, but for cookbooks. Sit at the desk and plan menus, etc. Or the white vases look pretty. The stool is too small. Wow if I had a desk like this it would be a very messy desk in no time, I'm surprised yours is so neat.
    Comet thanked terry toon
  • 10 years ago

    We have been in this house for 4 years and that desk has served in many different ways. Usually ending up in a mess.

  • 10 years ago

    The white stool is perfect especially with the white vases & bowls. You're done.

    Comet thanked sandradclark
  • 10 years ago

    The white stool looks awkward because it appears to be bar-height instead of counter-height, is that correct?

  • 10 years ago

    The stool is an odd size neither bar or counter height. It also as a rabbit painted on top of it. I bought it at a yard sale thinking it would fill the space. However when I got home with it and realized it was an odd ball I just stuck in there temporarily. That was two years ago.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I like the white vases and also the Keurig and dog biscuits, nice work on the light tile-if it were me I'd add a simple classic black modern chair to subtly con temporize/liven it up, but I don't know how the rest of your decor is or if you like modern-- either a black Eames DSR chair, black Bertoia, or Cherner , Series 7 (knockoffs of this one can be found that are inexpensive) etc:

    Eames Molded Plastic Dowel Leg Side Chair-DSW · More Info

    TriBeCa Penthouse · More Info

    Comet thanked lapsangtea
  • 10 years ago
    But unless you're going to bling it out as a coffee corner I think the rug should be replaced.
    Comet thanked terry toon
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    As you say no one sits to use the area, I would replace the stool with a Thai rice basket--decorative and perfect for additional storage. We use a large one for gift wrapping bows...and another under a glass table as a decorative element.

    Comet thanked John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
  • 10 years ago

    Do you have a dog? If nobody ever sits there it might be a good cozy, out of the way spot for Baxters bed.

    Comet thanked Brandon Schmahl
  • 10 years ago

    I love how the milk bottles and bowls worked out -- really cute! I'd want to make this into a coffee mecca, with a comfy seat for waiting out my brew. Of course, a space like this would lead me to invest in a high-priced espresso machine too! :))

    Comet thanked acm
  • 10 years ago

    Do you want to make some more changes? Would you prefer to have a patterned rug as opposed to the coffee mat? It all depends how far you want to take this, it is a rather unique little area...

    Comet thanked tgb1
  • 10 years ago

    I really appreciate everyone's input. You all have a lot of good ideas. I agree the rug needs to be replaced or removed completely. Do you feel the nook area is better without a rug at all? I have added additional pictures of the rest of the kitchen to give you a better idea of how the nook relates to the rest of the room. The kitchen is pretty dark with the dark cabinets, granite and wood floors. There is only a small window to the left of the fridge. Wall space is mostly taken up with cabinets.

    The view with my back to the sink.

    The view with my back to the fridge, looking towards the dinning room.
    The view with my back to the family room, looking towards the breakfast room on the other side of the sink.

  • 10 years ago
    Does this silver bench work ?
  • 10 years ago

    I kinda think a small red three legged stool (about the same height as the silver bench) might be more appropriate. It would be a good contrast and it would match the theme of the milk bottles.

    Comet thanked Brandon Schmahl
  • 10 years ago
    What a great kitchen! I love the little tweaks you have done to this area, but I don't think the silver is a good finish for this spot., since you don't have bling anywhere else.
    Comet thanked Carol Singletary
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Thank you for the your comments and honest feedback. I agree that the silver is not right. I found this little 3 legged stool. Am I headed in the right direction?

  • 10 years ago

    This stool is kinda cute - can u actually sit on it if you need to? I agree the silver didn't work. I like it better w/o the coffee mat, and thank you for switching the positions of the keurig and the biscuit jar - looks better. Should we take a look at what's on the walls there, or would u prefer not?

    Comet thanked tgb1
  • 10 years ago

    If it is the right height & is white. Also try a nubby small white rug. If every room was this easy to decorate.........

    Comet thanked sandradclark
  • 10 years ago

    I think the runner, or some type of rug, should be by the sink cabinet, not under the stools, which strikes me as a bit awkward. You can put sticky pads under the stool legs if you're concerned about the floor scratching.

    Comet thanked tgb1
  • 10 years ago

    You could make this area a nice coffee bar with coffee mugs, stirrers in pretty container etc.

    Comet thanked loubelou
  • 10 years ago

    Walls are open for discussion, if your not bored of this nook by now. LOL I truly appreciate your opinions. BTW the walls damaged by the installation of the new backsplash will be painted next week the same color.

    Yes the rug is under the bar stools to keep the scratches off the floor. The stools have the little fuzzy pads on the bottom. I do have another long rug under the sink, it was not in the picture because I had removed it to clean it.


    I'm not happy with this metal piece on the wall in this nook.

    The stool is actually a natural colored wood with a silver wicker seat.

  • 10 years ago
    Something about that little stool I like, definitely better than nothing. Tall Green plant on left side of desk.
    Comet thanked terry toon
  • 10 years ago

    A plant would add a natural splash of color.

  • 10 years ago
    A little succulent is easy to keep alive too. That is, if you aren't particularly green thumbed;)

    Since it doesn't sound like you're too attached to the white stool it might be a cool diy project to cut the legs shorter and paint it (either red like I mentioned before or another color that you'd prefer). If you go to a little neighborhood hardware store you can probably find some screw in adjustable feet in case you cut it a little wonky
    Comet thanked Brandon Schmahl
  • 10 years ago

    I would prob take the 3 wall pieces off and live with it bare for a few days. Looking at the rest of the kitchen, you seem to have a lot of things hanging on the wall throughout, prob wouldn't hurt to leave the coffee nook walls unadorned...

    Comet thanked tgb1
  • 10 years ago

    And I think the finish on that little stool is just perfect as it is... Jmo of course : )

    Comet thanked tgb1
  • 10 years ago

    Your uncluttered countertops are like a breath of fresh air : ))

    Comet thanked tgb1
  • 10 years ago

    Why not fill in the opening with a pair of matching or coordinating doors and use the space as additional storage.

    Comet thanked tiffany66
  • 10 years ago
    No bench at all. Leave it open -it looks nice that way. Otherwise, it calls attention to what is a desk that isn't being used as a desk. Or add doors to make more storage.
    Comet thanked km kane
Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz