Software
Houzz Logo Print
otforme

Between the studs pantry fail

10 years ago

I am starting my kitchen remodel. It's small so I really don't have space for a full pantry. Instead I opted to do a between the studs pantry with a 3" additional built out from the wall for a little more depth. But.......in digging into the drywall, there's plywood behind it. This house is a 1955 National Home and the kitchen was an addition in 1985. The kitchen wall where I wanted to put my pantry was once an exterior wall. There's studs in there somewhere (probably 2x3s), but is it worth the extra effort of cutting through plywood? On the bright side, I won't have to buy additional plywood for the back of the pantry; just cut down what's in there!

Comments (10)

  • 10 years ago

    You need to be very careful not to hit any plumbing or electric that might be in that wall. A lot could have been changed over the course of 60 years. I would use a circular saw set to barely cut through the plywood. Make a small opening, then use a flashlight and a mirror to make sure there's nothing in the wall cavity.

    Otforme Coleman thanked mushcreek
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks all for the insights. There were quite a few oddities when I gutted the bath this summer, so behind the plywood may be interesting too.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    "... but is it worth the extra effort of cutting through plywood?"


    No.

  • 10 years ago

    Can you open the wall on the other side to see what's there? I realize you'd then have to patch that drywall but at least you'd be able to see what you are doing rather than going in blind.


    Otforme Coleman thanked User
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    The kitchen wall where I wanted to put my pantry was once an exterior wall.

    The clapboard siding might be under the wallboard on the other side. Ask me how I know. ;)

    As for it being worth the effort, in my smallish kitchen it was--we recessed a fridge into a former exterior wall. I also added stud bay storage under the high end of the stairs; it's very convenient for canned goods and small boxes.

    Otforme Coleman thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • 10 years ago

    My curiosity got the better of me. It turns out that it is 1/4" plywood with nothing underneath but the thinnest layer of insulation ever. My socks are thicker!

    I'm glad to hear people really do like their shallow pantries.

  • 10 years ago

    We would love to see the pictures funkycamper.

  • 10 years ago

    Pictures of my wall down? My kitchen is far from finished. We have unfinished walls, plaster still to chisel off on other parts of the walls, mismatched cabinets that will eventually match with new doors/drawer fronts, temporary plywood counters, and exposed wiring. It's not a pretty sight, believe me.

  • 10 years ago

    Awww FC -- play along. I think it is fun to see kitchens in progress. It is supposed to be a wreck now. I always wonder why the kitchen board doesn't have something like the building board does -- How is the progress for those in the middle of the angst.