Software
Houzz Logo Print
joe_fristoe

Changing yard to what makes me happy - need help with design

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

So, a bit ago I posted a thread and the pics didn't really tell the story of where things are at present. I finally measured and constructed a layout of the backyard. The big green trees are loblolly hybrid pines, which was recommended here I remove some. I'm not partial to how many and I don't have room for what I want and keeping all of them.

I have 1 cornus Florida, 2 Nyssa Sylvatica cultivars. The first Nyssa is zydeco twist (contorted branches I'd like to see in winter and gets 20 tall X 15 wide) and a wildfire (30-40 wide X 15-25 tall). Also have an American fringe tree. My goal is attracting birds, butterflies and hummingbirds, getting rid of as much lawn as I can.

Id like to plant two groupings of 3 each Juniperus Silicicola 'brodie' on the south edge (porch is north end of south facing backyard), with 3 weeping pendula Yaupons and 3 shadow Yaupons (upright 10-12x10-12). I'd like to attract pollinators, have weigela, Calycanthus, Clethra, Fothergilla, neviusia alabamensis, one bottlebrush buckeye that can go out front if necessary. Also have Henry's garnet, little Henry, some viburnums, a few ninebark, some sparkleberry and winter red winterberry hollies. Also, have a Arizona cypress blue ice (more narrow than Carolina sapphire at 15 wide). I have a single Diane witchhazel, but trying to go native. Have 5 red twig dogwoods I'd like to toss in the area (southeast corner near the "dead/almost dead yoshino Cherry snag) that is low and floods with a very hard rain.

What I really want to keep of what's in the ground.

Rising Sun redbud, 3 Yaupons (one not planted), weigela, as I have more of them to mix in the beds/border, vitex (2 in ground and 1 in liner but may not have room for all, have a nelly and Edward Stevens which I already dug up and realize they are likely just too big.

im going to work up a sketch after getting some feedback, of some ideas after I think about things, unless you have some ideas first. I figured the back border with Brodie junipers and other evergreens would make a wonderful backdrop for the winterberries. The shed and two small oaks on the south end near the fence are no longer there. Neighbor has a very big oak of my west side close to the fence.

One square equals 5 feet.


Comments (15)

  • 10 years ago



    Here are the descriptions to go with the numbers of what is planted where.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Proposed bed lines, some pines removed.. South bed has 3 Juniperus Silicicola on each side of possibly used Arizona cypress 'blue ice'.

  • 10 years ago

    Joe, I was just west of you house hunting last week. Was surprised to see

    flowering quince in bloom. Didn't know they bloomed this early.

    camellias were also in bloom. One house had a huge qumquat (sp) that

    was in bloom. Didn't find a home so plan to build. Some roses were also still in bloom.

    have fun with your garden

    roll tide

    jo

  • 10 years ago

    Joe, I'm confused about your layouts. Are the first two what you have currently and the last two are what you are planning? The first two have a lot of big trees drawn in, but I don't see those in the overhead picture - are they there now? If so, are you planning to remove some?

  • 10 years ago
    atmos - Everything is still in place right now. Had some unexpected workload increase and haven't been able to sit down much. Really considering 3 or so betula nigra for the south fence now. Great lepidoptera tree, supporting over 400 different types best I recall, not to mention birds. Saw a downy woodpecker on a betula nigra 'Heritage' last week and reminded me of them.

    I'd like to keep at least a couple pines for diversity, but can't be too many with the diversity I'm going for.
  • 10 years ago

    Joe, which picture is the currently existing? Which picture is the plan? You have so many posted it's hard to tell what's going on.

  • 10 years ago

    The first image is current planting. It will not show the edit button until after the first two posts, or I would delete the extra images.

  • 10 years ago

    A comment on cryptomeria 'Black Dragon' -- I've grown a number of different cryptomeria, but that one (I had three) never performed well. I know the slender form is a real draw, but it may look the same size for 5 years. Mine never took off and were always around 6 feet high and 2 wide. Difficult in a windy area to keep upright. You may have to support those for awhile.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Thanks for sharing that. I'm not concerned about keeping it, but the giokumo cryptomerias would provide some shelter and are supposed to do very well and are vigorous. If I don't keep the dragons, after seeing some larger ones, no loss IMO. The whole Asian plant idea seemed nice last spring, but my area needs more native things to support migratory birds, butterflies, etc., as well as the fact I love to watch them.

  • 10 years ago

    Landscape Launch Pad

    I'm a Registered Landscape architect and I offer a service in which I think you might be interested. If you'd like to see what I can offer, head over to Landscape Launch Pad or email me personally to discuss.

  • 10 years ago

    "You've got mail"

  • 10 years ago

    Alright folks, this is a canned service he provides, nothing close to what I need. He provides a drawing where he picks plants for a 10x20 area for $49. If you're looking for a landscape plan, or wanting an ecosystem, etc., this is not for you.


    Not sure what I will be doing or where the folks are that asked me to give them the layout of what is currently planted, etc, but looks like I'm on my own.

  • 10 years ago

    Sorry for not following up sooner after asking for clarification. I'm not an expert, and it's really hard to give advice on such a large area with many plants just based on the plans you posted. Maybe you could break it down into smaller areas/projects and post them individually? That seems to work better in this forum. From what I can see, if you really have that many large evergreens, then it seems like you should remove some to make room and light for the other plants. I also think grouping into beds is a good idea rather than having them scattered around the yard.


    Have you tried finding a landscape architect or designer to work with locally?

  • 10 years ago
    I couldn't imagine creating a habit without a landscape plan, not now. A while back, sure and it would've failed miserable. I have no doubt some folks can do it, not me though.
  • 10 years ago

    I agree with that. It really helps to have someone who can analyze and visualize the space as a whole. I have a landscape plan for my yard that I am trying to implement gradually. It was originally a basic plan from a design/build firm, but I've gotten additional input on specific areas from other designers and made more changes myself. It still needs tweaking and I'm sure will evolve over time, but at least it gives me a general framework to work in. The trick is to find someone near you who you work well with and who shares (or at least gets) your vision. This is not easy in my experience. I would look carefully at their previous work (by visiting if possible), ask lots of questions (figure out what's most important to you, first), and get as good an idea as you can of what their recommendations will be (with preliminary sketches or if not then verbally) before you hire someone. Good luck! I hope you show us plans and pictures as they develop.