Software
Houzz Logo Print
rhea_armstrong

Shutter dilemma

10 years ago
Should I use natural wood shutters or white distressed wood shutters? Both are made from reclaimed wood. The house is painted Mountain Road by SW. Notice the rock fireplace in the center of the house. Depending on shutters, what kind of front door (not shown in pics) ? (Landscaping to come this spring--this house was our fixer upper.)

Comments (12)

  • 10 years ago
    I vote natural! Looks great with the stone.
    Rhea Armstrong thanked annedb2014
  • 10 years ago

    Of the two, I like the natural wood. But I'm confused about where you're planning to use the shutters. It doesn't look like it's physically possible to use them on most of the windows?

    Rhea Armstrong thanked C F
  • 10 years ago
    Definitely the natural wood. Provides a nice contrast with the siding and trim.
    Rhea Armstrong thanked Sarah Haubert
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    The natural don't look right with your yellow door. maybe if you repaint the door grey or blue it would tie everything in.

    Rhea Armstrong thanked Bailey Construction & Painting
  • 10 years ago

    I really like the natural wood shutter, ties in your stones (I read somewhere that shaving cream takes the smoke stain off). The front door could be a nice stained-look brown to match the shutters.

    Rhea Armstrong thanked BobbieH
  • 10 years ago
    I appreciate everyone's input. We have left the house without shutters, but to me, the exterior still looks unfinished. I thought perhaps adding two pair of shutters to each of the end windows would give the house a more finished look. However, I will read the links about shutters to ultimately decide. The front door is real wood with tooling (sp?) etched with flowers. It is original to the home, so I was trying to keep it. I have painted it rust, plum, lavender, and now yellow. I dislike every single color. I would like to strip it to the wood if possible and stain it, but I may have to resort to plain old white. I am open to all suggestions for making the exterior look complete.
  • 10 years ago

    You made the right choice, I would have said none, but you beat me to it! I think your house just needs some landscaping and hardscaping.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I think once you get some landscaping in it will look better when doing shutters, just in case you do decide they should be size that if you had to they would actually cover the window so here would be 2 different sizes IMO this house does not suit rustic shutters at all. I would like to see a much larger entry landing almost like a small deck and a walkway to the street that is as wide as the new landing.

    Rhea Armstrong thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 10 years ago

    Maybe you should look at the coordinating colors Sherwin Williams has on their website, get the samples. 9104 Woven Wicker is probably one of the colors in your chimney, it might be good on your door.

    https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7743-mountain-road/#/7743/?s=coordinatingColors&p=PS0


    I agree with the others, landscaping and hardscaping will really add some oomph. You've got a great backdrop with all the trees. Imagine this house below without the landscaping, note no shutters on this home either. There is something about a diagonal board that looks dated to me, don't use those shutters. Like you mentioned, only the end windows could have them and they aren't the same size, so the shutters properly sized would be mismatched. I wouldn't draw attention to them.


    From Kids to Quiet · More Info


    Rhea Armstrong thanked Bette P
  • 10 years ago

    These suggestions are so very helpful and appreciated. Does anyone have specific suggestions for hardscaping? This is a new term for me, so I had not even thought of it as an option. And yes, the hideous yellow door needs urgent attention. If you look at the pic I posted of the entire, you can see the driveway is to the left and the front door is to the right of the house (we use a side door to enter but we don't want guests entering the side.) Would a circle drive in front of the house be a good choice aesthetically and functionally?

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Since so few of your windows can accommodate shutters, I would consider a wall pergola instead. The white powder coat aluminum ones through Amazon or Lowes on line are inexpensive and maintenance free.

    Rhea Armstrong thanked BeverlyFLADeziner