Software
Houzz Logo Print
smstef

What paint color will compliment these floor tiles in small bathroom?

10 years ago

I'm having a difficult time choosing a paint color for my bathroom walls. It's a smallish bathroom that gets no natural light. The tiles are a dark charcoal blue-ish grey. The toilet and pedestal sink are white and fixtures will be chrome. I'm looking at Benjamin Moore paint colors, but don't know if I should stick with white or go with a light grey, or maybe even something blueish. The tile is loud and I LOVE it, and I want to compliment it in the best way possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Color's I'm considering: (but I'm open to other ideas)

Gray Owl OC-52

Paper White OC-55

Pure White OC-64 (has a very light blueish tint)

White Dove OC-17

Horizon (looks a bit greenish in my small bathroom) OC-53


Comments (46)

  • 10 years ago

    Your floor is fantastic. I would stay with some shade of white. Keep it simple and chic.

    smstef thanked Rebecca Hicks
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    You need not stay light in a small space. Rather, I would compliment that great floor...Moorish in feel, with a dark color.

    smstef thanked JudyG Designs
  • 10 years ago

    Sorry for the typo... Should say *complement* in the title! I see how the darker color would give it a rich feeling, but I forgot to mention that this bathroom doubles as our guest bath and bathroom for my two young kids, so I'm hoping it will be somewhat light and youthful while still being chic.


  • 10 years ago

    Lovely tile. Personally I would pull the light cream colour from the tile and use that. Keep it simple.

  • 10 years ago

    I would stay away from any whites with beige or yellow tints in it. I think this bathroom will look spectacular painted white with a grayish tint in it. Let the floor be the star in this room.

    smstef thanked aak4
  • 10 years ago

    I think if you had a nice white baseboard and a very light gray on the walls it would be lovely!

    smstef thanked Kim C
  • 10 years ago

    BM white dove! Love those floors!!

    smstef thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    I agree with Judy, great floors. Are you willing to go bold? I would along with Judy's pick, suggest navy blue, orange or a pale yellow.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I would actually have all white fixtures and paint the walls the same gray as the tiles why do you think it needs to light I think with white fixtures white accessories with a bit of humor the dark walls would be awesome.

  • 10 years ago

    I completely agree with Patricia. I'd go with the dark gray of the tiles. I think it would be stunning.

  • 10 years ago
    I would say paint the walls white and make fixtures black....
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Love your tile! I know the picture below is not reflective of your tile, but wanted you to see how a white would be stunning....along with some black accents and (consider brass fixtures) - classic and beautiful like your tile. Grey walls will be "au courant" but not as timeless. This washroom was designed by Genevieve Gorder and it's in her New York apartment.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    IMO white walls would just be plain boring and as for the pic above how do these 2 tiles even relate to each other let alone complement each other.

  • 10 years ago

    Love the tiles - beautiful! What about painting the left wall (I assume that will have the vanity/mirror on it) the dark gray, and leave the others white. Maybe add in some warm wood tones in your furnishings (vanity, shelving, mirror). Add in some color and whimsy with some fun art.

    smstef thanked mntraveler22
  • 10 years ago
    Those tiles above are beautiful! Brass fixtures would have been awesome, I agree. Unfortunately, I impulsively purchased everything in chrome last month. But that's a great look.
    If it was a spare bathroom or powder room i'd go with the matching dark grey, but I'm nervous about making such a strong statement in one of only two baths in the house. But I must remind myself that I can always repaint! It's so helpful to get a variety of ideas.
  • 10 years ago

    Otherwise, a grayish blue, like below, on the walls could look beautiful.


    Lushhome.com put these colors together, which could be a nice combo with your tile.

  • 10 years ago
    Yes, this is one to-die-for floor. As to paint color, I would keep in mind that your guests will probably want to give themselves a good long stare in the mirror as they're washing their hands. So what colors, used in a small, artificially lit bathroom, make a person look good? Peach? (Ugh!), pink? (Ugh!), yellow? (Ick!), white??? This is not a rhetorical question. I'd really like to know.
    smstef thanked Liz H
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    @Patricia, to each their own as they say. When I saw the humor additions you were recommending, I was quite surprised these were recommended by a professional for a soon to be lovely classic guest bathroom. Genevieve is a respected designer and earned her degree at the New York's School of Visual Arts. She steps outside the box in my opinion, but her designs many not be for everyone and although the tiles in the bathroom do not "match", they work for some strange reason. When I saw the bathroom on her televsion show, I have always remembered it and it is one of my all time favorites. Perhaps if you saw it live, you might better appreciate the look, but I assume you would dislike nevertheless, as you had such a strong opinion. I feel new ideas are what makes decorating and life more interesting.

  • 10 years ago

    Maureen, I'm most definitely not a designer, but also to me, that tile combo in the washroom pic just doesn't work. I do tend to like many different looks and styles and so admire so many of the designer done room pics on Houzz, but not that one. As you said, each to their own.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Hi Ann, I wasn't suggesting the tile combinations as they certainly are for a specific taste, but to show how nice white would be with accents of black (+brass) with the grey. Simply White by BM, which might be a good choice, if going with white and great lighting will also be big factor. On the side, I don't think the picture does the room justice and I probably remember how it looked when I saw it live, but I like classic bathrooms as they remind me of wonderful trips to Europe. I once stayed in a gite in Dijon and the bathroom had two sets of French doors/juliette balconies overlooking fields of sunflowers. I guess memories and experiences can play a big part in our decor choices as well.

  • 10 years ago

    As for colors that compliment the image staring back at you in the mirror, go with a white with a blush of pink. That being said I think I would like a pastel yellow with the tiles, white fixtures and chrome faucets. Have you thought of a wall paper? A black and white wall paper would look lovely.

    smstef thanked Jean Benelli
  • 10 years ago
    Your tiled floor is gorgeous.
    smstef thanked kgrahi
  • 10 years ago
    My first inclination is to go with a light blue with a hint of gray, but more blue than gray.
    smstef thanked Michael B
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I'd let the floor choose the colours.

    I've just done my hall, it's better for adding panelling etc.

    Your floor is stunning, the fun can be brought in with accessories and lighting

    smstef thanked jessegee
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Another option I think would look absolutely spectacular is to add beadboards on the walls and paint the beadboards white and the walls the same gray color as the floor tiles. see picture of tile floors with beadboards on the walls. It's a classic look and it will not overpower your small bathroom with too much gray on the walls.

    http://originalmissiontile.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/CEMENT-TILE-BATHROOM-02.jpg

    another pict of beadboards in bathroom with dark gray walls

    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/e9/d0/4c/e9d04cbebf08527818e469423ea1043f.jpg

    smstef thanked aak4
  • 10 years ago
    Wow so many ideas!
    Really like the floor! I agree with brass fixtures ;) however chrome can work just add more dark wood detail in the room.
    smstef thanked Bobbie
  • 10 years ago
    Btw are these painted floors with a stencil!
  • 10 years ago

    Light grey with white baseboards and pops of color accents I would not do colored walls specially a few of the ones I seen suggested will make the place look dated and u don't want that . Keep it light airy and updated with light colors and pops of color decor accents

  • 10 years ago

    And I wouldn't do brass either your gonna date the Space :-/

  • 10 years ago
    Bobbie - no, they are tiles!
  • 10 years ago
    If you have a scap of the tile, have paint tinted to match, then dilute it with white until you get the shade you like. I would start with a 1:20 dilution.
    smstef thanked arvilla_trag
  • 10 years ago

    Gray to go with those fantastic tiles.

    smstef thanked tooky58
  • 10 years ago
    So I went with white! It still needs some accessories and artwork to warm it up a bit more but I think it's a nice start. Light gray would have also worked really well I think.
  • 10 years ago
    Please tell me more about the tiles! Gorgeous!
  • 10 years ago

    Looks great!

    smstef thanked Ann
  • 10 years ago

    What specific white is it?

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks! It's Benjamin Moore White Dove

  • 10 years ago
    Dark gray walls with white trim. Would be beautiful with the tile.
  • 10 years ago
    I just saw this image today and fell in love.
  • 10 years ago
    It looks lovely. So unique.
  • 10 years ago
    What tiles are those? They are very pretty.
  • 9 years ago

    Love the cement floor tile! I'm trying to pick out something similar for my bathroom floor (I posted my own design dilemma!) and am finding the choices overwhelming. Interesting how the lighting and paint change things. In your original post, the tile looked like a dark grey and now it looks black and white. Curious, where did you get your tile?

  • 9 years ago

    ephillips, i got some very similar to these at CementTileShop.com. they have some beautiful choices. This poster never answered about her tiles so they could also be ceramic. (HD and Overstock carry the ceramic version of the encaustic tiles)

  • 9 years ago

    @Beth H - Oh, I was hoping to "find" you. I have my own tile discussion going and I heard you gave great advice!

    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/bathroom-re-do-tile-and-style-conundrum-dsvw-vd~4628827

    I'm still nowhere near making a decision!

  • 9 years ago
    To all those who asked what this beautiful tile is, it's available through SomerTile - Product number FRC8TWCL

    https://somertile.com/ProductDetail/FRC8TWCL_775x775-Twenties-Classic-Ceramic-Wall-And-Floor-Tile