combine

Big, blank wall

combine
We have nearly completed our basement Reno . We have a nice fireplace area for watching tv and visiting, but across the room, we have this big, blank wall. The colour of walls is revere pewter. Brown leather sofas (practical for a family of 6) and the fireplace stone is grey. I NEED IDEAS FOR THIS WALL. I haven't measured it recently, but I think it's about 21 feet long.

• mrsben

For your needs, I like the idea of a built-in bench. That said; I feel you require at least one area rug to define the two spaces that you have. If in doubt of colour or style and/or cost is an issue, consider standard carpeting and have its edges bound OR purchase one that is even suitable for outdoors.

• combine
    There is an area rug with couch....do you think I should also put one under the table?

family room wall is a big blank wall

I like to see big walls with big decor, not bunches of little things grouped together. Here's a couple of ideas right out of today's ideabook: [houzz=] [houzz=] And a great wallpaper, if you're so inclined: [houzz=]

A Big Blank Wall!

Hi gave you some more options...I stuck with blue black and brown colors but sometimes my suggestions are too matchy. There are plenty of more colors on https://www.etsy.com/shop/LizDuerStudio If you want a certain color let me know and If you read the descriptions they are all named and numbered and if you give me a number I can put it on the wall. The "paintings" are a digital abstract of ocean waves splashing..

Need help with big blank wall in living room.

I think what may be bothering you is perhaps your eye is competing with three different colours, the beige wall, black t.v. & white cabinet. I would look for a longer darker console for the t.v. & then put some large family photos in black and white with black frames either to the left or right of the t.v. that way everything is one colour. To try and get a visual put large pieces of brown paper on the wall & see what looks right to you.

Wall decor ideas big blank wall

Hi pennzies, We have a wide array of beautiful Giant canvas prints that would suit your big blank wall. We really wanted to find a solution to give people this oportunity to acquire oversized artwork easily, without impediments. I am including our how to video You can see our shop Here Hope you find the perfect image.
  • shirlpp

IMO, I do not think that the sofa alone will look right where the bench is. If you add the sofa, then you'd have to decorate that side of the room - with tables and maybe more chairs.

• combine
    There isn't much room there for tables etc if I put the sofa there....here's a pic
    Shoa Gallery

I love the big art you have. It works well with your color scheme. There's a fixture on that wall though, that seems to be covered by the artwork. You don't need it?

• combine
    Good eye! I need it twice a year to turn the heat on and off. It's in such a terrible spot and can't be moved easily. I can just take the canvas down in spring and fall to press the button.
  • combine
    Also, I just found this. Can I use it for anything?
  • combine
    How's this?
  • combine
    How's this?
  • LouieT

The art is lovely with good proportions & suits that space. The wooden sofa looks lonely there though & the linlac built in bench idea would suit that side better & could include storage under the seat & another art piece or mirror above.

The sitting area with the lounges looks like it could fit another 2-3 seat sofa on the dining table side without crowding the space. May even have room for a console table with added decor/plant behind it or the back one to introduce some of your in house shopping finds.

Maybe the wooden sofa could go to the other end of the dining table under the window with the plant between it & the seating area. With some light/bright cushions to bring in some more colour.

• combine
    Like this?
  • LouieT

I do like that much better, do you?

Looks like you have had some help....aww cute designer in training ;)

That little folding table could go either side of it with the gal bucket you found & what about the plant on lounge side?

• zzmom40
    I would build a banquette or bench under the window all they way to corner and on that wall to form an L shape..add your long table in front of it and add cushions. This will give you another area to add setting or popcorn machine...the banquette will give it a casual more family feel.
  • carolyngarland
    Folding table wrong height for anywhere. But like the wood piece under the window. The pillows are too big. How would the silver bucket thing look on the floor to the right of the bench, with greens, dried flowers, green moss balls. Something.... Like the lamps and pillows but you still need more color and/or texture. My original thought was to repeat the stacked stone on the fireplace in a half wall behind the big table, with art above it, but I like you art piece so it may be too big. Maybe a small trim sofa on the short wall or very trim sectional. Would give more seating.
  • LouieT

A console table or buffet at the room entry on the right could also a nice welcome to the space possibly with storage baskets underneath.

Parisian Curiosite Sideboard · More Info

I would have a flatter seat cushion on the wooden sofa & just one or two smaller cushions or try the patterned ones off the lounge.

Do you have any ottomans? A larger sized one in the middle could double for seating as well & easily be moved around.

Linen Ottoman · More Info

• combine
    Better?
  • combine
    I tried the tree else where and it looked weird...I put it in the corner where the bench used to sit. I don't love this bench at all....but it works until I find something better...ill take a close up of the pillows as I don't think they look right yet
  • sandradclark

A living tree would be so much better. Why not add drapes to the room? Go with a white drape on all windows & your room will look so much lighter. I like the huge painting hang it there at eye level or a little higher while dining.

• LouieT

No throws I think to simplify the bench seat & the two cushions look nicer as they add the colour. Hope this is fun for you!

Some curtains will soften the room too & in a light colour though blinds could be all you need since there are a few different windows.

Pacific Coast Custom Design

I vote for tall built-in cabinets on the sides and artwork in center to balance.

• combine
    I suddenly can't scroll down to see the posts...only on this particular post
  • zzmom40
    This would look wonderful in your space and open up another seating area...instead of that small bench that just isn't working...have storage seating built along the wall and push table up to it.
  • combine
    I know that a bench seat would really look amazing, and I agree it would look more casual, however it's definitely not in the budget right now...we have so many projects on the go. I will definitely keep in mind for down the road. I did hang the painting today, but I think I forgot to show that in a photo as I was darn excited about lamps and pillows.

Okay...ill take the throw off the bench. I was trying to hide the wood back...I so don't like the bench, but it's okay I guess till I find something second hand and make it nice for that spot.
  • combine
    LouieT. I really like the unit you posted/suggested. It's actually the left side...I don't think I showed the entry very well. The opening to the left of the table goes into the gym. The stairs that go up to main level are behind the fireplace wall
  • combine
    Painting hung!
  • combine
    What about the pot?
  • carolyngarland
    Love the painting. Agree shelves or something vertical on either side. It a big wall. Don't care for the white pot. Like the galvanized one, much more interesting. Maybe matchstick blinders at the windows and drapes for texture and warmth.
  • combine
    I like the blind idea. I moved the pot, thank you. Still can't figure out the trees. I gave it one last shot. Do I remove one or both?
  • combine
    Last one of tree area....we are still under construction a bit here so all that junk is temporary:)
  • combine
    OH MY GOODNESS! You guys have decorated this room in a day almost! I'm almost done and I'm so thankful for all your I put, thank you!

Blinds....can I just get cheap Home Depot white blinds...the slats? They would be easy to clean as they are plastic ( we do get flies in warm weather as we live on a farm) or do you think I should go with something warmer? Matchstick blinds were mentioned ....are they sort of beige? Or brownish...? Not exactly sure what you mean?
  • LouieT

O M Goodness to you combine!

I hear excitement in your tone...lol! That is looking so much better than the start & the pot plants are much better!

I prefer the dark pot but you have found lots of items in your home already. The wooden bench looks quite inviting now, sorry I said ditch the throws ;)

The blinds will play their part in the overall scheme & if you want to go for white (I wouldn't) would have to add some more white. I am liking the contrast of the dark items...picking up the dark swish in the painting. Can you sew?

I love your painting there & yes that sideboard/buffet is soooo nice, echoes the dark dining chairs...maybe down the track?

Well done for putting in such a great effort & attitude you now deserve to chill I think! Breathing space for phase 2. There are some woven natural blinds a bit classier than matchstick which is a yellowish tone...nah from me.

• terry toon
    Try your trees together in the corner to the left of the wooden bench. Apart they are ???? I would bring the sofa down if you need the seating down here. It wouldn't take much to make it work.
  • LouieT

Plants...I like the palm in the back corner because it is brighter & don't see white pot, I like the large darker pot/plant in the entryway & would like to see a little table (that one you had before?) next to it with the gal bucket & a stack of books or simple décorative item? I'm done for now...enjoy your efforts!

• zzmom40
    I don't think any space should have artificial trees...for some reason it just seems to make the space look outdated..cheap..sorry don't mean to be harsh just honest. Your space is really nice some times patience is best...trying to design and decorate a room over night leads to many regrets. Love your new piece of art very pretty!
  • carolyngarland
    I was thinking along the line of wood tone matchstick shades, maybe in one of the lighter shades in the floor. White would be cold and you already have a lot of cool colors ( white and grey). I have mini blinds, a b..... To clean. Plus the wood matchsticks would add texture. You are making tons of progress.
  • terry toon
    You have an old coal bucket. You can do all kinds of decorative things with it.
  • susan2494

Get rid of that tiny bench and get 2 chairs and a table something that you can move over into the seating area if needed there.

or at least a bench that will seat 2

• combine
    Yay! Thanks so much! I'll re read these comments after church and mull it all over....ill move trees around again... You have all given me amazing ideas and been a massive help. Thanks sooo much. How kind of you to invest your time in my basement.
    Any ideas for above lamps? Especially left one? Looks a little empty. Mirror?
    Any pics of blinds you speak of to give me a visual.
    Here I go again...told myself I'd take a break from it today....haha
  • combine
    And rug ideas .... This one is temporary. Cheap please
  • combine
    Last thing....need to re cover ottoman. Fabric idea? Or should I look for a more rectangular, narrow one?
  • combine
    Saw this ottoman yesterday at Winners...$170. I thought nail heads were too fancy for this space
  • zzmom40
    Maybe it is the black chairs around the big table that are just giving it a country vibe instead of a basement fun entertaining area....how about replacing them with 2 upholstered benches for a more fun casual feel! You could bring color or a printed fabric into the room on the benches.
  • shirlpp

You might want to compare the blue ottoman against what you already have as far as size. The size of what you have, seems right for the space, the blue ottoman seems a bit long - I could be wrong...blue is the way to go though.

• terry toon

Maryland - New Homes · More Info

Bright Family Basement · More Info

Window coverings.

• combine
    @ susan2494.... Thank you...and good pricing. I like the fourth one...the zig zag one with the brown, blue and teal
  • combine
    Zzmom40. Thank you. The spindles on the chairs are a bit country and a bit busy. They are okay, but you have a good point. I like the idea of fabric covered benches
  • combine
    Shirlpp. So I think I'll just cover the one one I have when I see some fabric on sale then.
  • combine
    Terry toon. Thank you for helping me with a visual of the blinds