Software
Houzz Logo Print
marlinah

Is this midcentury modern home ruined by white paint everywhere?

10 years ago

I have found a true mid-century modern home from 1958 for sale in my price range. I'm not including photos since I don't own it. The interior has been painted white everywhere, over a beautiful brick wall which ran the length of the living and dining area, the ceiling beams of the lovely high ceiling, and the ceiling itself, which was probably wood. I'm in another state so I can't attest but I'm assuming. I'm sure there's been other transgressions to this classic that will be discovered. My question is, can all this be restored?

Comments (4)

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    The short answer, without seeing photos or physically inspecting the home, is Yes. Anything can be restored. Painted brick can be washed. Painted wood can be stripped to uncover the original finish. It will take time, money and proper research and detailing, but it is certainly possible.

    Best of luck.

    marlinah thanked ROGUE architecture, LLC
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Just because a home is MCM doesn't mean it was an architectural gem. There were just as many mistakes in building homes in the 50s as there are now.

    Anything can be restored if you throw enough money at it, ......but is it worth it. Plenty of older MCM homes are being updated with paint and quite successfully. The success of the home might have more to due with the bones rather than the finishes.

    There is a lot more technology in our homes these days, better insulation, better heating and cooling systems. MCM homes typically had postage stamp kitchens. People don't live like that anymore, so revising, rather than restoring is an acceptable solution.

    marlinah thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 10 years ago

    Short answer: yes. If you are considering an offer factor in these costs: to address the paint removal you will need to bring in someone to soda blast (not sand blast) the ceiling to get back to the original T&G and raw beams. Ditto the fireplace. Contact a restoration company or similar and get a ballpark on this, so you have a clear understanding of what is ahead with respect to paint removal. That aside: I've been on a few threads trying to talk various OPs out of painting their MCM interiors and brickwork, so it's really great to encounter someone like yourself who appreciates the original integrity of these places, and wants to invest in the process of restoration. Depending on the buildings lineage (do you know the architect?) this could also increase the value of your investment. Best of luck... And do post a follow up if you move on this project.

    marlinah thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    These are all great responses. It's the first MCM I've found with a large kitchen and some interesting lines in a really great neighborhood, etc. It will certainly not win any architectural awards but it has great charm and I would like to see it kept that way. I'm not averse to paint but wow they just went from floor to ceiling in every room with white paint! I truly just want to be certain that I won't pay a small fortune and price myself right out of the house but it doesn't sound like that would happen. Hopefully the bathrooms aren't tiny; I noticed they didn't post photos of those on the listing :) My realtor will see it in a couple of hours and tell me. Thanks for the feedback. I just did some reading on soda blasting and saw some pictures people have posted and it looks promising. The house is brick and a really beautiful color so I know the interior color will be beautiful. Thanks again everyone!