Software
Houzz Logo Print
peppapoodle

Need some upholstery done........ Help with ideas?

10 years ago

I originally had only the bigger wingback next to the FP. But then added smaller one--so old , comfortable & well made-- and now is my fave place to sit next to fire. However, they both have more red & the rug is more paprika. Paprika is more my color than red.


Reupholster them in neutral slobby linen color?

A slate/ blue plaid like lumbar pillows?

Comments (26)

  • 10 years ago

    Hit submit instead of photos......

    Opposite the FP, ignore background & yes, even Christmas wreaths!;)

  • 10 years ago


    Red throw on sofa has to go..... It's for the dogs!

    Need new pillows, too.

    Trying to make what I have work in a very different space than what I had before.

    Thanks!

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    To me it's not jarring because at least in this picture the reds are fairly soft and don't scream that something is terribly off. You're the best judge of what it looks like in real life. The beige slubbed linen might be a bit boring and a pattern in paprika and beige in a small print like you already have might be a better idea. I really like your rug. The square ottoman, on the other hand, doesn't play well with everything else and needs to be recovered or go somewhere else. With all the soft furnishings and the beautiful rug, I think a glass coffee table would make the area look more spacious and give the rug and the whole area more room to breathe. I think it would transform this area, especially with the addition of new pillows, which might be nice with paprika and some brighter colors in it, as this area looks a little subdued.

  • 10 years ago

    I like the fabric on the lumbar pillows. That would look great! I love your space. I have a similar rug set up! However my top layer is a blue based rug.

  • 10 years ago

    I like the fabric on the lumbar pillows too, and I think the plaid mixed with the floral upholstered pieces would add a nice element of sophistication.

  • 10 years ago

    You have a "floral" with the paisley and you have solid on the sofa. I would try to get a geometric (plaid, stripe, chevron, etc.) on the wingback chairs. Do you use both of them? I might try to bring in something different instead of the one you don't use b/c you already have a pair of chairs . Maybe your chaise that i see in the background?

  • 10 years ago

    Ingrid, I love the neutral upholstery in your room. I struggle over my fall colors, that I've always used & going neutral. But, I think neutral is harder to pull off. Yes, small ottoman needs something too. DH has gotten attached to having it in here.

    Aktillery & Stararnold, I really like the lumbar pillow fabric, too. Reminds me a bit of a mans suit. I have a small remnant somewhere, but got that fabric years ago. Maybe they still have at Ethan Allen.

    Yes, it's been musical chairs and rugs in here. I love your blue rug!! And you have neutral furniture too. I really want to add more blue in here.

    Kelleg, I haven't tried the chaise. I'll try it though.

    Sh$&t, maybe I should buy new chairs. Reupholstering and buying fabric is expensive! Or I could start over with a sectional!


  • 10 years ago

    A sectional might actually be a very good idea. You'd still need a chair, I think, but it wouldn't have to be a huge one. The sectional could be beige like the border of your rug and then you could accessorize with pillows that have those two colors in them.

  • 10 years ago

    I like the sectional and chair idea. That or it may be cheaper to buy new chairs vs. reupholstering.

    Very pretty!

  • 10 years ago

    I love your room--very English manor-ish! I am in love with the pillows on your sofa. Your room looks like a space that is comfortable, unpretentious, and soft. That said, there are a few changes that might be made. In priority order, they are: (1) change the fabric on the ottoman. That's the only piece in the room that is jarring. I understand the need for the ottoman--I love to put my feet up at the end of the day! A solid in a very subdued color would be better, or possibly the plaid that is on the lumbar pillows. (2) I like that the two wing chairs are slightly different styles, especially since you already have a pair of matching chairs in the room. However, if the two wing chairs were upholstered alike that would pull things together better. I would choose to reupholster the wing chair that is on the left side of the fireplace (next to the sofa) so that it matches the other wing chair (more red). (3) I really like the rug and think you need it to pull the room together. However, it seems a tad bit small. If you can use the current rug elsewhere, you could consider getting a larger one for this room. If not. . . .well, that's why it's the 3rd priority.

  • 10 years ago

    I spent a lot of money recovering my sofa and "comfy" chair to match. The couch is a multicolored pattern, the chair is a matching geometric, mostly solid color. It has lasted almost ten years and still looks fresh. I liked the pieces a lot back then, still do. They are classic so have worked now in two different places I have moved to. Recover if you love the pieces and still want to use them, it is not money wasted when you consider what you would pay for new with the same quality, plus you might not even be able to find what you want easily, time spent looking is also an investment with value. However, if you are thinking about or want to redo the whole look of the room, then maybe just let go of pieces you don't like or are not working. I'd first try using the chaise lounger to create a sectional look, move around what you have right now, maybe throw in a different looking coffee table, whatever, from somewhere else in the house, and then see if you like it and then decide what you want to edit, what could be recovered, and what should be let go and replaced.

    This is just my .02. To me, the two wing back chairs next to the fireplace look like they might not get used much because they really just look out into the living room and unless there are people in there you want to talk to at a party, not sure why you would sit there. I had two similar chairs next to my fireplace, and we almost never used them unless I had guests, and even then, this was the last place guests chose to sit.

    If it were me, I would try this out: move the chaise lounger up to where the two "comfy chairs" are to create the look and feel of a sectional. You can always get one if you like the layout and feel of the temp. substitute. Move this whole montage a little closer to the fireplace. Then, keep the chair with the ottoman and put it at an angle to the L shape of the lounge and couch, on the opposite corner of the square. Add a small rocker or bench if you have one right next to the fireplace if you feel you need extra seating, they could be easily moved around. Just an idea, not necessary if you don't have such things but I have had a small rocker or bench near fireplaces in the past and found them useful.

    Now, in the back of the room by the window, have the two wing back chairs placed opposite each other by the window. Put a little tea table between them and some book cases near by. Use that space to entertain guests for tea and as a cozy reading nook. I say this because one of my best memories was going to afternoon tea with one of my best friends at a posh tea place in London and the tables all had big wing back chairs at them. My friend joked that was so that celebrities could take tea there incognito!

  • 10 years ago

    I'm struggling with making do with what I already have- which is quite a mismash of furniture or completely redoing this room.

    Keep it more English country or go for a cleaner, less fussy look?

    Pink, the Windows behind are our front doors. I will try the chaise to mock up sectional. Thanks!

  • 10 years ago

    I'd go for olive green or a warm deep brown.

    I'd also do them in different, but complimentary patterns.


  • 10 years ago

    Tibbrix, you don't think that would be a lot of brown in there?

    Ive decided that I will embrace what I have. As much as I'd love a neutral nubby sink in & not get back up sectional........I'm also a realist. First time the dog comes in with muddy paws to go to HIS sofa, it'd be over. First spill of red wine, done. We live and entertain our friends in this room.

    I would like to pull more blue or slate blue into the room & make it more cohesive.

    Here is the lumbar fabric on that side of the room- thoughts, please?

    Also big bird above the FP has the blues I'd like to pull from

  • 10 years ago

    I'm being very indecisive about this & trying to live in this new different space before making expensive choices//mistakes!

    i figured out that my club chairs are over 18 years old, reupholstered once. They are dingy & permanently dented from dog perching on them. Reupholstering & fabric is $$$$. And I don't have the time to hunt for the perfect fabrics. Is it worth it?

    im really just jabbering.....:)

    But, did find this sectional......


  • 10 years ago

    Well honestly the chairs look great and I so envy you a fireplace between your living and cooking space. One of my dreams.

  • 10 years ago

    I pinkmountain, thank you!! this place was basically designed around having that fireplace! We have so enjoyed having it-- cooking in the kitchen or chilling out in the den.

    If I do the sectional, I'm going to play around with the wingback chairs in the "entry" area like you suggested. This is a back door house-- wanted the wall of doors for light. Maybe a smaller game table area with them?

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I have been looking for a house to buy, and I looked at one that had a layout somewhat like yours. I just wasn't ready to buy and it wasn't exactly in my price range either, but it was hard to turn down because it had a fireplace like yours, open on one side to the LR and the other to the kitchen. Except the house I looked at was particularly odd, in that it had stone face on the LR side of the fireplace and brick on the kitchen side. So that would have had to be redone, IMHO and it was one of the reasons I passed on the house, just didn't have it in me to do that. But anyway, while I was dreaming of what I would do with that house, I had this idea, and let me toss this out to you just for conversation's sake. The house had an open concept with a dining area adjacent to the kitchen, so the fireplace on the kitchen side was just for the view. If I had bought the house, I determined that I would get two wingback chairs for the kitchen side, and have them in front of the fireplace, at a 90 degree angle to it, facing each other, with a table in between for tea or a game for two. Any chance of you wanting or being able to do something like that with your wing chairs? Might be fun to try, and you could move the other chairs around in the LR to fill in the spaces. I just love the romance of a wingback chair curled up by the fire with my cup of tea.

  • 10 years ago

    Its taken some time but I do have an update. And more questions!

    I went with a sectional. We love to watch movies & sprawl out on sofas after a hard work week.

    Does the rug work now?

  • 10 years ago

    I also have this rug I could layer on top of the jute rug.

    Current rug with pillows

    Im not a matchy match person but don't want things to fight either.

    Overhead lighting is on, which it never is, in real life. Just to see the colors

  • 10 years ago

    I love the rug you already have and the sectional is beautiful. My only suggestion would be to have some terracotta pillows in addition to the blue ones to pull in the colors of the rug. Is it possible to pull the rug out further from under the sectional to show more of it? Have you tried a blue solid colored pillow on the red chair by the fireplace? Since you want to pull in more blue that would be a nice touch. You could also try some rather rustic blue pottery bowls or vases to put on either end of the hearth. That would tie in nicely with the Audubon print on the mantel. Your sectional has really brightened up this whole area. May I suggest putting some rust or orange colored items in the tray on the stool in front of the sectional?

  • 10 years ago

    My very first thought was blue! lol Love the new sectional and with the addition of blue blue pillows, it's quite striking w/the stone also. As for the rug, my choice would be the one with the rest colored background. Like others have said, a kitchen fireplace has been my dream also! Is there anything more cozy, since so much time is spent in the kitchen? Anyway, can't wait to see it all put together! I think it would be a gorgeous space even w/o furniture. ;)

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you!!

    I really like the rust rug, too. But was unsure if it worked with the pillows. The pillows came with the sofa so I don't have to use them. Love the idea of adding rust pillows.

    i have been looking for new lamps-- would like something earthy & blue.

    yes, we absolutely love the FP facing the kitchen!! It's also a work in progress

  • 10 years ago

    Oh, my. That sectional is gorgeous. Definitely keep the rug you have. I'd play with the blue to complement the print over the FP, but keep the blue as accent only. Is it slighly blue/green? Whatever it is, I'd use the color in the print and repeat it with pillows, throw, etc. Stunning room!!!

  • 10 years ago

    Something like this?