Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joelcoqui

What is wrong with this set up?

joelcoqui
8 years ago
I am trying to figure out what is wrong with the way my Decor is situated. What is wrong and what should I change up?

Comments (46)

• auntthelma
    8 years ago

Pretty chairs. You seem to be ignoring the feature wall rather than working with it. The chairs and table are blocking access to the fireplace and library.

• Katbv Vero
    8 years ago
    I agree with auntthelma, also the sconce is throwing me off, maybe take them down?
  • izeve
    8 years ago

What are the chairs facing? Can we see the rest of the room please?

• auntthelma
    8 years ago

Pull the chairs apart so they are each on opposite walls. You can still have them facing the room, but just not blocking the fireplace. The table can go with one of the chairs.

• PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    8 years ago

I'm not sure if you are looking but I think this rug would look great in your space if you like Persian rugs

http://www.rugknots.com/products/ap9-4-12-665

• carolyngarland
    8 years ago
    Yes, pull chairs apart and move table. Also you have a lot of small light colored pieces on the shelves. Can you remove one shelf to allow for some larger darker items. Maybe some groups of books for visual weight.
  • PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    8 years ago

The light rug will help balance all of your beautiful light colored finishes with your dark floor.

• Carol Singletary
    8 years ago
    And maybe, hard to tell from one picture, but maybe you have too many things placed too high up. Bring the visual focus down a bit in the room.
  • carolyngarland
    8 years ago
    Also emote sconce and replace high item over fire place and replace it with a lower large picture.
  • Geneviève
    8 years ago

i believe that the focal point is too crowded, move the chairs and face them to the fireplace .

• joelcoqui
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The space in between the shelves are very short. No pictures can fit in between except for a 5 x 7 photograph. Do you think the square framed mirror on the left should stand alone without the 3 finial obelisks?
  • Maureen
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Remove table, so as not to block fireplace. If it makes sense for your seating, I would move the chairs back, so they better frame the fireplace (see below). I would also remove a lot of the smaller accessories, plant on hearth and on top shelf, and add a larger item on fireplace (like a big round clock) instead, as I feel the area needs more weight. I would also add pillows on the chairs.

Huestis Tucker Architects, LLC · More Info

• joelcoqui
    Original Author
    8 years ago

katbv I cant remove the sconces, they are the lights to the room. The chair are facing the rest of the conversation seating. We dont really use the fireplace so there was no reason to face the chair in with the plain fabric of the back of the chairs.

• Geneviève
    8 years ago

Following the lines would be ideal , just reverse the candle holders to the tallest side and let it flow . Remove a few of the items and stand afar to view . less is more :)

• joelcoqui
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Reversed club chairs look like they're ignoring the conversation seating
  • joelcoqui
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    ...and don't you need a coffee table next to the chairs ...there's nowhere to put your drinks or coffee
  • susanalanandwrigley
    8 years ago

Now that you've shown the whole room, it puts things in perspective. Can you show the whole room with the chairs facing out? I think they probably need to be pulled forward more toward the rug/coffee table to be right in the conversation area. Then the chair on the right can share the end table with the one by the sofa. The one on the left might not have something right next to it, but could always lean forward to coffee table. I don't like the table between chairs blocking the view of the fireplace. I also think the clock (?) over the fireplace is hung too high, and I'd fill the bookshelves with more books.

• Maureen
    8 years ago

I would move the couch/rug more towards the fireplace as there is a disconnect with the chairs (or bring chairs in). You could also have them face the couch (may have to move console to another wall) or have them face each other across the coffee table. Moving things around should help you decide. Plus something more substantial over the fireplace.

Hospital Home Lottery Fall 2012 · More Info

Modern living · More Info

Contemporary Beach Living Room · More Info

• joelcoqui
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Don't like it... What am I supposed to do with the second chair? There is a console table on the left that would make it a tight squeeze to walk past. My initial question was the bookcases not the chairs. I'm already getting tired.
  • auntthelma
    8 years ago

The chairs are really pretty! And I love the fireplace.

Pull the front chair back to the right corner of the fireplace. You will then have two seating areas. The sofa and also the fireside "reading" area.

• PRO
    M Squared Flooring & Design Centre
    8 years ago

I think based on everything you have shared, the original position of the chairs is ok. You would just need to pull them apart a bit so that the fire place is your focal point (even though you don't use it) and I would place the round side table between the big couch and the chair closest to the windows.

As for your bookcase, I think you have too many items on there. It is looking a little cluttered. I would remove the large candle sticks for sure. They are drawing the eye to wrong place. I would put them next to the fireplace itself, lower to the ground. I would move the M to the opposite side and let it stand alone. and I would reorganize the shelves so they don't look so jammed with objects. Let the swans be by themselves instead of one on top of some books, makes it look like you were short for space. I think in this case less is more. And I would replace the small clock with a much larger one with a bright face or a large mirror. These objects would bring light into that corner.

I hope that helps.

joelcoqui thanked M Squared Flooring & Design Centre
  • susanalanandwrigley
    8 years ago

Sorry you didn't mention your focus was the bookcase, I thought you were asking about the whole area. Yes put the chairs back in original position, remove table in between to open view to fireplace, and as far as the bookcases go, personally I'd have them filled with books, so I'll leave styling questions to others who prefer knick knacks in their shelving. I'd also still move the clock or better yet replace it as M Squared is suggesting.

• acm
    8 years ago

I'd still like to see the view of the room from the chairs. You seem impatient with advice that extends beyond the bookcases, but I feel like this room may be long enough that it should be two zones, rather than one strung out conversation area. (And why would you always sit with your back to that beautiful window view??)

• izeve
    8 years ago

I think you should try the two chairs facing each other in front of the fireplace, with the table in the middle. They should not be angled and need to be spread apart a bit further than you have them in the original picture. Since your sofa is curved, they will never really be a part of the conversation area anyway, so angling them towards the sofa doesn't work.

Like this, but a little further apart:

Beach Style Living Room · More Info

• PRO
    Digital Home
    8 years ago
    I would remove the solitary wall sconce, unless it is balancing a similar one we cannot see on the other side of the window wall. Put the large candlesticks down on the left side of the fireplace to balance the fireplace tools on the right. Also as previously suggested, it would be good to get a view of the room taken from the fireplace so all could see what the big picture is that you are dealing with here.
  • auntthelma
    8 years ago

I wouldn't touch that fireplace stone. It's beautiful. An awful lot easier to introduce colors through the arrangement on the shelves.

Can't wait to see after you move things around!

• joelcoqui
    Original Author
    8 years ago

..and I cant move the sectional sofa. It is made to fit in the corner then float with a cuddle chair to the middle of the room. Its unfortunate that the candle sticks are both the same height. that is why placed them forwards and back. I have fireplace tools on the hearth floor and different metals and colors. Im afraid there are too many differnt elements of color going on.

• PRO
    Digital Home
    8 years ago
    The bookcases flanking the fireplace seem to have decent woodwork/trim. Moving the chairs apart as suggested prior would help to highlight this, and maybe you should loose those little tables on left and right which are blocking the lower portion of those bookcases. I don't see those small tables as serving any purpose to beautify the space. As someone astutely mentioned in a prior post - 'in this case less is more'.
  • PRO
    Digital Home
    8 years ago
    If the fireplace is not used, remove the black screen and replace it with a screen that has more interest, or consider option of stacking some logs inside, as shown in these photos...
  • S Bailey
    8 years ago

I love the rusty-coral you use on the sofa -- maybe it's just me, since no one else has mentioned it, but I think a throw or a pillow incorporating that color would tie the two areas together

• Paul F.
    8 years ago

I would face the chairs toward each other with a nice table between with a chess board pattern on the top. I think a big star burst mirror on the fireplace would be nice and although you didn't mention the bookcases, I would declutter them and add pieces with more contrast.

acm... clever photoshopping!

• PRO
    Digital Home
    8 years ago
    Put 2 different height candles of the same diameter on top of the sticks to finish it off. That should give you the illusion you want.
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

The room looks quite nice. I would paint the walls a greige color to accentuate your bookcases and furnishings and then replace the clock with some framed art that has no green in it so that it does not bring out the pink coloration in the stones.

joelcoqui thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    HMH Development Inc
    8 years ago
    I would start with a simpler fire screen, nothing ornate and not black. Everything is light, calm, peaceful and then you have the big black hole.
  • Geneviève
    8 years ago

Is there an opening on the wall facing the sofa or is it another wall ? You could place the 2 chairs facing the sofa .

• joelcoqui
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Nope thats were the TV unit is.

• joelcoqui
    Original Author
    8 years ago

RugKnots I think you may be confused as to which photo is mine. I have a wilton type morrocan patterned rug. I keep the room monochromatic so I can switch up my colors seasonaly. Right now its persimmon. in the spring its spa blue. No go on that traditional rug. thanks anyway

• classysass
    8 years ago
    This dilemma is a good example of the diverse opinions of our contributing Houzzers and that many do not read the dilemma or others' comments before they reply. Frustrating. Personally, I like books, lots of books on bookshelves. That's why they're called bookshelves. Yours are fine. I don't like the idea of separating the chairs but I do think they should be part of the seating group you have with the sectional and I think you should keep the table in between. You can move the console back toward the fireplace if you need more room to bring the chairs forward. Do you have room for table lamps so you could possibly get rid of the sconce? Table lamps add a lot to a room and provide needed light for reading. The only other thing I think you need to address is the clock on the fireplace. Whatever you put there needs more "weight" meaning it needs to be more significant, such as a painting or large mirror.
    joelcoqui thanked classysass
  • zzmom40
    8 years ago
    I don't think anything is wrong...a beautiful cozy corner to keep warm and read...if it was my space I would add a big beautiful mirror over the fireplace. So pretty
    joelcoqui thanked zzmom40
  • Belahn
    8 years ago

That fireplace needs a mantel.

• Paul F.
    8 years ago

classysass, I don't think this thread is a good example of houzzers not reading. More like a poster not being clear what they want advice about! First it was decor in general then she says exasperatedly "My initial question was the bookcases not the chairs!" when it wasn't... like we were bothering her!

• joelcoqui
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Finndian... My mistake.. I should have said fireplace wall. I didn't realize the term decor also meant furnishings.
  • classysass
    8 years ago

I agree. The poster was not clear about the kind of input she was looking for.

• joelcoqui
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks for all your advice houzz community.
  • joelcoqui
    Original Author
    8 years ago

forget the backwards club chair. I need a pillow fabric that I can use for this room in a terra cotta coral color mixed with an aqua so I can intermix with solid aqua pillows. Where can I find discount fabrics. I can make my own pillows. Reason for monochromatic room. I can switch up my colors anytime.