Software
Houzz Logo Print
christine_johnson21

Need a rug for my living room!

10 years ago

Hi! I need rug ideas for my living room please! Moving in 2 weeks and this will be our front room. We're buying the sofa and chair from the sellers but the rug and everything they have here will be going. Any ideas for a rug? The wall colors will stay the same. Thanks in advance!!

Comments (58)

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks so much!! The drapes are going and I'm not a fan of the tables either. Not positive of the room's dimensions but I'm thinking maybe 13x16ish? You're all totally right about the rug in there now being too small. I think an 8x10 would make the room look so much nicer. Not sure what to do for a coffee table either. I saw an acrylic one I love but not sure if it fits the style. Those tribal/southwestern rugs are beautiful but not quite my style. Very pretty though. Havingfun - I LOVE the first and last rugs you posted! That is definitely the kind of look I'm going for. My goal is to spend $400 or less on the rug because I have an entire house to decorate lol. Any suggestions for other decor in the room would be appreciated too! This is our first home so I'm really excited to make it perfect. Thank you all so much!

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Rugs from Overstock to complement the sofa and wall color combination.

    Christine Johnson thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 10 years ago

    Thank you!! I love those!

  • 10 years ago

    Coffee table ideas:

    Infinity Coffee Table · More Info

    Waterfall Coffee Table · More Info

    Triangle Coffee Table with Dark Walnut Base · More Info

    Another rug & new drapes
    Strata Delerus Multi Contemporary Beads 5'x8' Mohawk Rug (11820) · More Info

    Solid Grommet Top Thermal-Insulated Blackout Curtain Panels, Set of 2, Orange · More Info

    Neutral Grey Doublewide Blackout Curtain Single Panel · More Info

    Christine Johnson thanked sandradclark
  • 10 years ago

    The 8 X 10 versian of the rug above is only $290.00. Have fun decorating your new home. The trellis & morrocan design rugs are going out of style.

    Christine Johnson thanked sandradclark
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Hi Christine, the possibilities are endless, exciting and confusing at times aren't they? Do you plan to repaint the room? That is a concern prior to giving advice. My gut is telling me to do a rug that is plush with undertones of cream, black and gray. Now if you like more color you could also bring in accent colors by having a more colorful rug. What do you think? For more inspiration please check out my website as we have lots of affordably priced rugs under the "shop" tab. Wishing you lots of happiness in your new home! www.kennethwalter.com

    Christine Johnson thanked Gray & Walter, Ltd.
  • 10 years ago

    I love the waterfall coffee table! That is very similar to one I saw recently and fell in love with! The rug is so cute and funky and I'm loving the grey curtains too! Thank you!

    Hi! Yes they are! As of right now I don't plan on repainting. I think those are great ideas and will be checking out your site shortly! Thank you so much :)


  • 10 years ago

    Fun stuff, so I'm following

  • 10 years ago

    Christine Johnson thanked er612
  • 10 years ago

    I love that!!


  • 10 years ago

    Christine, at some point you have to tell us what you like? give us some direction, just a little? So you like white and pale blue? do you want modern in design?

  • 10 years ago

    I definitely like whites and blues. Open to other colors but I'm really loving that last rug you posted. I really like geometric patterns, modern decor, but classic too. For our dining room we're doing a wood table with clear acrylic chairs and doing a charcoal sectional with a funky patterned ottoman for our family room. This front room I want to be the "fancier" room since it's what people see when they come in.

  • 10 years ago

    FYI - the rug is from Overstock.

    Christine Johnson thanked er612
  • 10 years ago

    Why don't you go to a local Persian rug dealer and see what they have. Spend the money, get something nice instead of all of this online junk that people suggest. This looks like a pretty nice room deserving of a pretty nice rug.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    We have special washed rugs, you may consider them.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Head over to Tuesday Morning. Mine has a great selection of rugs. Plus, no delivery charge and you can buy a couple to try, and just return the rejected one.

    Might have to ask a friend with a pickup truck to help you get them home.

    Christine Johnson thanked pcmom1
  • 10 years ago

    hmmm, not to be rude, but where do you think that persian rug dealer gets theirs?

    anyway, i pulled mine christine. If you need more help just let us know.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    R Hicks, In light of what is going on in the Middle East, I wouldn't spend a penny on rugs from Persia (Iran). Most interior furnishings don't hold their value and this includes rugs, handknotted or not. An item is worth only what a buyer is willing to pay, and times are much changed today.

    There is no reason to throw shade at a poster if she/he is on a budget and would rather buy a rug from the US, Belgium, Turkey, China or India. Why is a machine made or handtufted rug junk? It's just another way to make a rug.

  • 10 years ago

    I have a 3 year old son and would much rather buy something for him than spend an insane amount on a rug that I won't be able to allow him to even sit on. I don't think online rugs are garbage. I think quite a few that were suggested here look really nice. I really appreciate everyone helping me with this.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Christine, I admire your priorities! When I was raising my six kids my priorities were like yours. There are seasons for everything. Now that my kids are grown, I CAN by more expensive items but I still bought a beautiful, quality 100%wool rug online!

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you! :)

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    If you want a fancier look for this room, I think Beverly's suggestions are the way to go. Add the grey curtains that Sandra posted (if the grey matches the other colours in the room, that is) plus the coffee table that you love and you'll have a very pretty room. :)

    Christine Johnson thanked babophz
  • 10 years ago
    You can do just about anything you want in such a neutral room. I usually start with the rug, as it's much easier to find things to go with a rug than it is to find a rug to go with things! Or you could start with a great art piece and work from there. It's really all about your personal taste. And don't get licked into the wall color...paint is so easy and relatively inexpensive to change.
    Christine Johnson thanked silverqueenbnb
  • 10 years ago

    Forgive me for playing in your room.


    Christine Johnson thanked groveraxle
  • 10 years ago

    Christine, forgive me, my brain is sometimes slow. If you truly feel that way about the rug, as nice as they are, you can do what i do. Although I do love a pretty rug. I would rather people look at all the art on my walls, in addition, rugs inspire my allergies. Not to mention the fact that my family-both human and fuzzy, have a hard time with the cleanliness angle of a rug. I go to the local flooring store and get one from there, often 5x8 and even larger is considered a scrap so you can get them for under $50 prebound. I put them out for winter, clean and roll up for summer. after 2-3 years, I donate to humane society something like that. I feel it is a win-win.

  • 10 years ago

    Groveraxle I love that you moved them out lol! You have fabulous taste!! Loving what you did with the room! So many cool choices!! I have a lot to think about for sure.

    Havingfun - that's exactly why my rug budget isn't the highest. Between my 3 year old and my elderly dog I just can't trust that they will last. I like to find something that makes my room look pretty but wasn't so expensive that I'll cry if it gets ruined. One of the rugs you posted was under $200 and that is one of my favorites. I really love the flooring store idea. I think there is one near me too. Thank you so so much for all of your help.

    You guys are the best for all of your suggestions! I appreciate it so much!



  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Christine, also look at indoor/outdoor rugs. Some of them can be taken out back and hosed off. Here are two:



  • 10 years ago

    i think i pulled my rugs down, so i no longer remember, but esalerugs is having 50% off. one of my favorite traditionalist rugs by them is down to $78 for 8x10, no that is a deal! I have some of theirs in my idea books, but you may wish to pop over and take a gander. they have all styles.

  • 10 years ago

    Lol - Grover is having a wonderful time with this room:) Christine, you're very lucky to have Grover playing in your room. I always love it when Grover stops by my dilemmas.

  • 10 years ago

    Rebecca, do you have "informed" suggestions to offer?

  • 10 years ago
    How about this one from Dash and Albert?
  • 10 years ago

    my problem ann, is that whenever they start with "you people", i rarely stay to hear the rest, IMO nothing good ever came attached to that phrase.

  • 10 years ago

    I wonder what we're misinformed about?

  • 10 years ago

    Better to have not heard and left than to ever hear it all I suspect.

  • 10 years ago

    I'm afraid "some of you people" have offended her refined tastes.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Another idea is to just go with a modern slightly higher pile in a solid color. It may feel less formal and more modern and the fireplace would also suit this. Your options for tables and accessories can go from modern to rustic to more formal. It's fun to mix it up and also a rug doesn't have to be large...just under the coffee table - it's another look and your floors are lovely so you may want to enjoy them. Your could also go with a twisted natural fiber rug, which is a great look - doesn't show the dirt (have one at my front door and in the kitchen) when they have a darker thread and even better, they are reversible. You are getting lots of suggestions..it may be a good idea to start an Ideabook with your favorite looks, move in and get a sense of how you want the room to feel, before purchasing the rug.

    Room Additions · More Info
    Tamara Mack Design - Staging Projects · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    Well when we all head to ureeka's later for the BBQ and VW decoration removal, we will not all be attending. tehehe!

    Christine, its been 3 days, still with us, or have you already left for Ureeka's?

  • 10 years ago

    Haha! Took a few days off to start packing and I'm catching up now! I'd definitely like to know what everyone is misinformed about lol. And I realized that I need to hit the powerball so I can buy several houses and use all of your ideas haha. They are all so good!! I am awful with decisions so this may have to wait until I'm moved in and can see the room for more than a 2 minute walk through. We had to pick paint this weekend and it took me 2 days to decide which shade of gray I want for the family room. Bought a new couch and ottoman for that room too! So one room down! Now the sellers may not sell us the couches in the living room so that could change the entire rug situation lol. I should know in a few days.

  • 10 years ago

    What do you think about this rug? It's a little more than I wanted to spend but it is so unique and pretty:

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I would choose a rug with a print


  • 10 years ago
    I would wait until your furniture and carpets, window coverings are chosen before you choose paint. Relax, all of these choices don't have to be made before you move in. It's often best to live in a home for a bit before making major decisions.Stay clear of online rug purchases. Many of them come from overseas and have a terrible odor, especially if they have a glued on backing. If you are looking for short term, inexpensive furnishings, try IKEA.
    Christine Johnson thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    How are yall adding items to a room? Im new to this so just need a little help! :)

  • 10 years ago

    Amanda, Houzzers use photoshop tools to do that. It's not something many Houzzers (like me) know how to do.

  • 10 years ago

    Christine, I think that rug you posted could work with very neutral, solid drapes. It makes a strong statement, but if the rest of the room is planned around it, it would be very pretty. I think it would work well with the furniture.

    Christine Johnson thanked Ann
  • 10 years ago

    i love your rug above too. The reason i have done this, is to be sure you can not get the same feel with another rug and stay closer or in budget. Prices are below the rugs.

    8x10 Blue Rugs | eSaleRugs · More Info
    7x10=$199
    nuLOOM Hand Tufted Ombre Bernetta Rug : Target · More Info
    7.5x9.5=405


    8x10 Blue Rugs | eSaleRugs - Page 2 · More Info
    7x10=299


    Safavieh Adirondack ADR112F Rug | PlushRugs.com · More Info
    8x10=212


  • 10 years ago

    Ohh those are nice and very similar! Great prices! Thank you!!

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Here are a few more rugs ideas from our portfolio.

    Waterfront Home · More Info


    South Tampa Home · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    It's very hard to give advice from the computer screen. Before you paint you may want to consider and overall plan for the room, before buying prices. I understand you are on a limited budget, but buying items one at a time is a little tricky. From what I see your walls are grey, fireplace brown, rug grey and sofa beige/ brown. You have a lot of cools and then a warm sofa and fireplace. I would consider a warmer wall color to compliment your fireplace and floors. The rug is reading very cool. Did you purchase it or is it on loan from the store? Does it have a glued on backing? I would be wary of the glue with pets and children, it can be very toxic.
  • 10 years ago
    Is there a way you can delete some of your posts on this subject? Just read on another post, someone suggested the blue/ grey rug looks off. It will get very frustrating for people to offer advice with multiple threads.